British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil

Emil Sayfutdinov and Co bring in the crowds?

I'm curious what the crowd will be like at Leicester. With a change of race night some fans were saying they couldn't attend anymore. Also I noticed there were fans from wolves, Peterborough, belle Vue and Coventry that would attend cause it was a Saturday night. With it being a Thursday I expect it to drop BUT with Emil and Jason riding at the den I think it will even out. 

2 hours ago, bruno said:

3 of us made a 2 hour journey we wouldn't have done without the returning riders. It's obvious better riders better racing. Monmore gets a lot of criticism but when all the top riders were here the racing was fantastic 

You were obviously sat facing the wrong way then!

• Haha 1

It's all well and good a few former fans returning to watch, and hopefully going again when a different team is riding, but it's whether there are any new fans being tempted ...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Roger Jacobs said:

It's all well and good a few former fans returning to watch, and hopefully going again when a different team is riding, but it's whether there are any new fans being tempted ...

As long as new fans don't go near the rulebook then should be fine! 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Phil said:

Watching Emil Sayfutdinov race last night was something special.    Do you think Ipswitch have done a big favour to alot of other clubs to bring in the crowds when he rides away at other tracks this year in the UK ?

When Ipswitch are in town its a definite one to watch and hopefully if Nick Pederson is ok that should help bring in a few extra in through the gates around the country.

Anyone else ?

It will be a big boost, however history does suggest that it will only be a "novelty" bounce if the usual "nonsense" operating model manifests itself as the season progresses.. 

Let's hope Phil Morris can make the Premiership "credible" thus keeping fans interested enough to keep attending after the initial "first visits" of the "stars"...

The sport's decline in the past 25 years or so in particular, was sharpest when the "top names," rode here and admission charges went inflation busting each year to afford them..

And as soon as Sky left the sport so did they, but the admission costs didnt come down...

£24 to sit and watch the racing at the NSS is "top end" I would say when measuring VFM so at "lesser tracks" that kind of admission each week may dissuade some if what is on offer doesnt reflect the cost..

I enjoyed last night at the NSS, and look forward to going to see Emil and Nicki when they rock up, but not sure if I will repeat the visits when they come around again..

That will depend how "relevant" the Premiership will be under the new management of it.

It is no doubt though a great opportunity for the Premiership and the sport as a whole so let's hope they can take it..

Historical evidence though does suggest that the custodians of the sport are often found wanting, so it will be interesting to see how they do now that they have been given several "Golden Tickets"...

4 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

It's a no brainer, bigger names mean more punters through the gate. 

We made the short trip from Kings Lynn last night but only because of Nicki and Emil.

• Like 1

You don't realise what you've got until it's gone. I bet Poland take their team line-up's for granted. Do you remember a few years back when Sky were making a big deal about Darcy Ward (I think)... hard to imagine them making the same fuss about Ben Barker's return from suspension!

I for one am very happy to see the return of these "star" riders and think there's a pretty good mix at the moment in the top league as long as clubs haven't over reached themselves financially of course

• Like 2

Like others have said the Nicki, Emil boost will only last a year, fans become accustom to the riders and the novelty will wear off. The professionalism of the sport as a whole is what put fans off. 

• Like 3

The only way the Premiership can keep an uplift in crowds is to have Ekstraliga rider's on alternative seasons, money the problem though. 

If Sayfutdinov rides next year his pull drops as everyone has had their fix. 

Next year they need to try a Laguta, then the next year a Lindgren, then a Zmarzlik, so on & so on. 

As I said, it won't happen as money isn't available. 

IMO as has been said the novelty of these riders will wear off and with it the uplift in attendances  they bring ,it's the product that needs a permanent boost perhaps Morris( not a fan ) may just be able to get the PL to change and make it more appealing  to a new fan base .

• Like 1

First of all in order to get these caliber of riders riding in the UK if you take away the cost is the actual schedule itself, 7 team top flight riding home and away twice is 24 meetings plus play offs plus pairs and cup, the schedule is simply far too much.

British Speedway would need a BIG reset and investment for it to happen, i couls possibly envisage discovery investing in domestic speedway as not only do they have the cash, it protects their long term investment and interest in the SGP series, with any investment you could have some big draw riders back but you would also need to invest in youth

You'd then need an 8 team top league riding home and away once with play offs to attract the top riders back, but thats not enough meetings to appease the fans of those clubs

So you'd probably need an 8 team top league to be a separate entity say consisting the current 7 sides plus say Poole

Then allow the 8 clubs to also run in a second series maybe with a North/South divide of some sorts alongside all the other clubs

The fans who pick & choose matches based on the opposition are more likely to watch matches against Ipswich (Sayfutdinov), Peterborough (Pedersen) & Belle Vue (Bewley) especially to see the top riders. 

Ipswich may pay Sayfutdinov's wages but I reckon other clubs will benefit more at the gate!

Laughingly enough I've got a feeling that Monmore green is the only current premiership track Emil has  ridden on before prior to Monday at Peterborough.Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Rode at Lynn in 2011.

I seem to remember him riding for Coventry at King’s Lynn