British Speedway Forum
Badge

Witches v Lions 6th April

Lions will take that result for the first meeting of the season away. The Witches scoring pretty much reflected the way their team is built. Keep it tight until heat 13 and two of the biggest hitters in the league will get the job done. Great, but tonight they were at home. When you rely on JD & ES to bag 25 points plus, the set up looks fragile. If either of this pair has an off night away from home, they will get spanked.

A previous post highlights that Riss under performed and will no doubt improve. The same can probably be said for Lawson to balance things out, but Riss was on his home track.

Although the Witches have a slender lead to take to Leicester for the second leg, the outcome is by no means a formality since everyone apart from Rew and Emil (yeah , like he will struggle!) is very familiar with the Lions track.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

My estimate would be 3500

wow thats good, well up on last year when I reckon 2k+ was about right, couldn't make tonight but will be there next week!

Whether 6 points will be enough to see the Witches through who knows but this team should always be in the mix anywhere 

Definitely saw enough to be positive about Rew and Thompson doing what's required in their respective positions 

A relatively quiet meeting from Danyon (certainly for a home performance) but showed his worth with a determined heat 14 with him winning his battle also creating an opportunity for Riss to be back in contention

Riss was poor and the difference between the slender lead gained and a more comfortable position. A disappointing showing but I don't doubt that will be put right. Looked mechanical rather than physical to me

1 hour ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Whether 6 points will be enough to see the Witches through who knows but this team should always be in the mix anywhere 

Definitely saw enough to be positive about Rew and Thompson doing what's required in their respective positions 

A relatively quiet meeting from Danyon (certainly for a home performance) but showed his worth with a determined heat 14 with him winning his battle also creating an opportunity for Riss to be back in contention

Riss was poor and the difference between the slender lead gained and a more comfortable position. A disappointing showing but I don't doubt that will be put right. Looked mechanical rather than physical to me

I think Ipswich could go well at Leicester and the tie is in the balance. Joe will be capable of his best meeting of the year there, Emil should only take a couple of laps to figure it out. Danny and Eric both go well round there, Doyle is Doyle, so it'll be new to Rew, Danyon has done loads of laps there.  Could be a very close aggregate I reckon. (watch them now get humped now I've said that):rofl:

3 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Riss was ill according to Hawkins. Could well explain his performance as I don’t think I’ve ever seen him so poor, looked way off the pace which is in contrast to his excellent start to the season for Redcar. I also thought Thompson battled extremely hard. Rew a ropey couple of rides, but much quicker and smoother there after. He and this team will get better as the season goes on. 

Emil looked like he was riding a rocket ship! An absolute stinker of a gate cost him in his 3rd ride but imperious apart from that. Doyle was also class as expected. 

Couldn’t believe when I looked at the scorecard to see Fricke’s score! I came away convinced he’d scored 12-13 points! Looked very quick to me and actually looked quicker than Doyle in heat 15 and very nearly passed him. 

Leicester looked a strong outfit to me. Every pairing that came out looked capable of at least a share of the heats, in most heats heat advantages (apart from 13 and 15 obviously). Think they’re nailed on for top 4 personally. 

Enjoyed my trip and will return, probably make my way down on the Bank Holiday Monday to see the local derby against Lynn. 

• Like 2

Can see Lions being fairly happy with that result.  As expected the Witches are going to be tough to beat in Hts 13 + 15 hopefully the Sayfutdinov + Doyle duo is enough to get people to watch the sport again. Certainly will be looking to see a meeting with those two in tandem. 

16 minutes ago, Falcon1983 said:

Think the score could have been a tad closer too if Nick Morris didn't impede his team mates twice 

All part of the game

38 minutes ago, Falcon1983 said:

Think the score could have been a tad closer too if Nick Morris didn't impede his team mates twice 

Could have been bigger also if Rew hadn’t made errors whilst leading which cost him points. Ifs buts and maybes. Riss was the biggest factor here, normally good for 7 or 8 at home when fit and healthy rather than the two he managed. That’s a 10+ point swing in the scores and would no doubt have been more comfortable for the Witches. Fair play to him for giving it a go, but in hindsight maybe they should have gone R/R.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Riss missing for Redcar today through illness so that will explain his performance last night. 

7 day ban for Riss?

I noticed that we had tactfully decided to drop the practice of flying our riders national flags on the centre green.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mark.1 said:

7 day ban for Riss?

The correct term is suspension but he will miss the meeting against Belle Vue next Thursday. Danny, Keynan and reserves eligible to take his rides.