British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Beirao

Classic Speedway Memories- April Edition

27 minutes ago, iris123 said:

You certainly got me confused. the Netherlands and Denmark ? And Dave Planning ? :blink:

Bloody autocorrect!!!

Yep, you're probably not aware of the problems we have over here; Americans think that the Dutch come from Denmark! At best, they think "Danish" and "Dutch" are the same thing...

There was a game show over here, "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth-Grader?", and there was a celebrity episode with the singer Kellie Pickler. The question was"Budapest is the capital of what European country? She said, "Europe? They speak French there, don't they?" When they gave the answer, she had never heard of Hungary...

On a YouTube video of stupid people, they asked a college student, "What language do they speak in Great Britain?" She said, "Great British?"

Americans really have no clue when it comes to anything European...

9 minutes ago, chunky said:

Bloody autocorrect!!!

Yep, you're probably not aware of the problems we have over here; Americans think that the Dutch come from Denmark! At best, they think "Danish" and "Dutch" are the same thing...

There was a game show over here, "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth-Grader?", and there was a celebrity episode with the singer Kellie Pickler. The question was"Budapest is the capital of what European country? She said, "Europe? They speak French there, don't they?" When they gave the answer, she had never heard of Hungary...

On a YouTube video of stupid people, they asked a college student, "What language do they speak in Great Britain?" She said, "Great British?"

Americans really have no clue when it comes to anything European...

Thought you meant they were confused with the Netherlands and Holland :D

I have seen some stuff on Instagram where some guy asks random people geography questions in what could be Times square. And i think the only people who got something right were tourists :D

6 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I have seen some stuff on Instagram where some guy asks random people geography questions in what could be Times square. And i think the only people who got something right were tourists :D

Yeah, there are a lot of those videos on YouTube.

Another one...

When I lived in St. Louis, there was a thriving Trivia Night scene; one or two every weekend with 10-30 teams of 8-10 players. We had a good team of regulars, and we usually won money.

One night, a round asked us to identify 10 flags. One was the cross of St. George! Like three of the team blurted out, "Oh that's easy - it's Switzerland!"

I said, "No, that's England!"

"Don't be stupid! That's Switzerland. England is the Union Jack!"

We argued for a couple of minutes before I was able to convince them...

• Haha 1

How about this? On another TV game show...

Can't remember the exact question, but it was summat about a "man-made" landmark in England, beginning with "S".

Of course, it was Stonehenge, but in all seriousness, the guy answered "Scotland?"

Yep, you can't make this sh!t up...

Edited by chunky

5 minutes ago, chunky said:

How about this? On another TV game show...

Can't remember the exact question, but it was summat about a "man-made" landmark in England, beginning with "S".

Of course, it was Stonehenge, but in all seriousness, the guy answered "Scotland?"

Yep, you can't make this sh!t up...

I think the worst ones i saw were where the answer was actualy in the question....something like which country does the Queen of Denmark reign over. And it left the person baffled

23 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I think the worst ones i saw were where the answer was actualy in the question....something like which country does the Queen of Denmark reign over. And it left the person baffled

Yep, sounds about right!

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

I've always felt it odd that the Netherlands national football team are known as Holland?

6 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I've always felt it odd that the Netherlands national football team are known as Holland?

It is a strange one, but officially, it is the Netherlands. I think the Dutch may just not be as strict about it, knowing that foreigners are easily confused! "Holland" is more regarded as an informal name.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

They have had a rebranding. I think Turkey are trying to do something similar, as they don't want to be associated with the bird :D

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/oct/04/holland-the-netherlands-dutch-government-rebrand

• Like 1

On 4/24/2023 at 1:17 PM, chunky said:

Oh, I get it! As I said, uneducated westerners would often be unaware of the differences (and don't even get me started on the American confusion regarding the Netherlands and Denmark), and of course, even dear old Dave Lanning would refer to them as "Russkies".

American confusion regarding the Netherlands and Denmark? 

1 hour ago, Split said:

American confusion regarding the Netherlands and Denmark? 

Yes. See one of my previous comments. Americans think that the Dutch come from Denmark. Google it, and you'll see what I mean!