British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lenny Lion

Leicester vs Belle Vue 19/4/23

Good meeting in the end; some issues for Lions to overcome though, especially re Max not getting going properly yet. We seemed quite slow, not sure if that's down to set up or lack of dirt off the main racing line, noticed it most with Chris Harris going wide and finding nothing to drive him on. Re Belle Vue Tom Brennan found it tough going too, and after I'd waxed lyrical about him so it was probably my kiss of death. Ryan Douglas as a guest was always going to score a bucket load as he loves the track, definitely tipped the balance for the Aces in the end.

I'm still not sold on the super heat, nor do I really understand the point of it. It just seems weird to not just say it was a draw, 1 point each and that's it. Why should a team get another point for essentially a scratch race when we already have an aggregate bonus anyway? It makes the league table look weird as well having a draw win and draw lose column, I had to try and explain it to some newbies tonight and it just sounded absurd.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, 40-38 said:

Good meeting in the end; some issues for Lions to overcome though, especially re Max not getting going properly yet. We seemed quite slow, not sure if that's down to set up or lack of dirt off the main racing line, noticed it most with Chris Harris going wide and finding nothing to drive him on. Re Belle Vue Tom Brennan found it tough going too, and after I'd waxed lyrical about him so it was probably my kiss of death. Ryan Douglas as a guest was always going to score a bucket load as he loves the track, definitely tipped the balance for the Aces in the end.

I'm still not sold on the super heat, nor do I really understand the point of it. It just seems weird to not just say it was a draw, 1 point each and that's it. Why should a team get another point for essentially a scratch race when we already have an aggregate bonus anyway? It makes the league table look weird as well having a draw win and draw lose column, I had to try and explain it to some newbies tonight and it just sounded absurd.

Completely agree. We got a point for losing? I don't understand..surely Belle Vue should just get the point ? Heat 15 and ending the meeting as a draw is a fair result. As for the lions I am concerned..were just making little silly mistakes and some riders are used.to the track. Still we have plenty of time to push on.

8 minutes ago, FishersGate said:

Completely agree. We got a point for losing? I don't understand..surely Belle Vue should just get the point ? Heat 15 and ending the meeting as a draw is a fair result. As for the lions I am concerned..were just making little silly mistakes and some riders are used.to the track. Still we have plenty of time to push on.

It makes sense to use it for aggregate bonus point ties in the league or aggregate ties in the KO cup when it sort of becomes a speedway version of a penalty shoot out, but not for a standard drawn fixture. 

The only riders who have an excuse for needing to get to know their own track are Allen and Sedgmen. Allen is struggling a bit but still chipping in with a few points. Sedgmen already looks very much at home and has so far exceeded most people’s expectations. Lawson, Harris and Morris all know this track and are there or thereabouts so far. The narrow home defeats (tonight was a defeat to me) point the finger mainly at Fricke for me. He’s our number one, a GP rider at that. For a rider of that status, I would have expected him to have sussed out the track/set up by now. For the record, he has been beaten by visiting reserves in two of the three home meetings so far. It’s also worrying that he’s been sent out for heat 15 in each meeting and has only scored one point in total.

Fricke IMO seems to of gone backwards the last few years. I genuinely thought he was going to go on and be a world champion but looks extremely unlikely now.

Should be posting much better scores in the UK though. Same for Bewley.

I see no reason for a "super heat" I don't know what's wrong with a draw?

Never in all my 30+ years have I ever heard a fan, rider, promoter or TV commentator ever complain that a draw shouldn't be allowed!

In this case heat 15 was a last heat decider, Leicester could've won, Belle Vue could've won or there could be a draw - that sounds an exciting finish, without the super heat

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Pinny said:

Fricke IMO seems to of gone backwards the last few years. I genuinely thought he was going to go on and be a world champion but looks extremely unlikely now.

Should be posting much better scores in the UK though. Same for Bewley.

As an aces fan I was glad to hear he'd moved on this season. Great rider but imo not a no.1 in the UK. Didn't have a great season in 22 for us, I'm sure once he gets the Leicester track dialled he'll be unbeatable. 

I just think he's a bit off Doyle, sayfudynov , bewley, holder and even Masters for turning up every week and putting big scores in 

10 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Bewley

NKI

Pedersen before he disappeared

Lidsey

Bellego?

Jakobsen

Klindt

Off the top of my head

Of that list only Pedersen, Bewley, Lidsey & Jakobsen wouldn't be available as they're the Ekstraliga riders assuming they are riding in Eliteserien also.  Bellego, Klindt, NKI are not riding in top tier of Polish Speedway so are unaffected by the change.  You can add Fricke to that list, along with Sayfutdinov & Kasprzak assuming they're riding in the Swedish league.  If Holder didn't compete in Eliteserien last year, so if he wanted to do that.  There's another one.

16 hours ago, bellevueace said:

Last season i was expecting him to be up there with Doyle in a weak league but have to say he wasnt the no1 i expected him to be.

Yeah, I expected Fricke to kick on last year and be up there average wise with Doyle, that wasn't the case and both Zagar & Kurtz spent time as Aces #1 with a higher average than Fricke.  Maybe not riding Ekstraliga last year had an affect.  Fricke is back in Ekstraliga now but was poor the few heats of the meeting (Gorzow v Grudziądz) I watched on Tuesday.

8 hours ago, 40-38 said:

Totally agree there is nothing wrong with a 45-45 result with both teams getting a shared of the spoils, the "Super Heat" is just a gimmick that we don't need.  Didn't anyone who attended last night feel they got extra value out of their evening as they had an extra heat?

2 minutes ago, Col said:

Totally agree there is nothing wrong with a 45-45 result with both teams getting a shared of the spoils, the "Super Heat" is just a gimmick that we don't need.  Didn't anyone who attended last night feel they got extra value out of their evening as they had an extra heat?

Yes! Basically got 2 heats 15’s!

Iversen had to leave Lynn last year as he was doing four leagues and Klindt couldn't join until Poland had finished so I'm assuming the Polish second division has relaxed too on the understanding they can do Thursdays as they did last night with Kurtz?

Don’t see the problem with superheat, it’s not like Leicester got nothing, they still got point for the draw.

If I was Leicester fan what I would be most unhappy about is tactical sub in heat 14, that is always a killer. 

• Like 1

I can't get too fussed about the superheat tbh. I really couldn't care either way. I can live with a draw and I also don't mind an extra heat of Speedway! Maybe if a league point was worth what it used to be I could be a bit more enthused, but as you only have to reach 4th place in the league these days before the real competition starts gaining or losing a point here or there is not really worth getting too excited about.

Having not been for a couple of seasons the work put in was apparent, not a fan of the superheat i dont understand the aversion to a drawn meeting especially when you get an aggregate bonus point, yes we get an extra heat but at one time we used to get a full second half with all the top riders, i thought last night a draw would have been a fair result a point apiece.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

Don’t see the problem with superheat, it’s not like Leicester got nothing, they still got point for the draw.

If I was Leicester fan what I would be most unhappy about is tactical sub in heat 14, that is always a killer. 

My issue is the match is now worth total 3 points rather than 2 that is available for the standard win

It's like an extra aggregate bonus point that isn't available to other teams where they don't draw

That isn't right when play off qualification could rely on a single match point difference

If you don't want draws then the super heat loser should get 0

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

My issue is the match is now worth total 3 points rather than 2 that is available for the standard win

It's like an extra aggregate bonus point that isn't available to other teams where they don't draw

That isn't right when play off qualification could rely on a single match point difference

If you don't want draws then the super heat loser should get 0

When is a draw not a draw... when it's in Speedway, you may as well say a win is a loss, it's that crazy! For me it's a better system that the last few seasons where the away team got more league points for a draw than the home team... these are just the type of rules that rob our "sport" of any credibility.

Turns out I am quite fussed about it after all :D

• Like 1