British Speedway Forum

5 hours ago, chunky said:

I watch a lot of quiz shows, and I can't believe how many times they don't even listen to the question, and give a totally unrelated answer.

That why they have quiz shows.

It was great to get such comprehensive coverage of the Warsaw GP

Isn’t it good to know that the people at The Star have their finger on the pulse of the Speedway public; regarding the most controversial incident  since Tai got a new tattoo.

They really got that just spot on with so much insightful input and discussion; plus the interview with Jason Doyle was a great scoop.

Edited by Grand Central

On 5/16/2023 at 1:11 PM, chunky said:

I watch a lot of quiz shows, and I can't believe how many times they don't even listen to the question, and give a totally unrelated answer.

Best ever quiz answer was:    "In his ancient Greek epic poems, Homer described Nectar as the drink of the gods.  What did he say was the food of the gods?"

Answer:   Well I know Homer likes doughnuts.  So I'll say doughnuts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, PotteringAround said:

Best ever quiz answer was:    "In his ancient Greek epic poems, Homer described Nectar as the drink of the gods.  What did he say was the food of the gods?"

Up there with 'Name a bird with a long neck'. Flamingo. No.  Stork. No. Naomi Campbell. Yes!

And the Cherry pickers on U Chall

2 hours ago, PotteringAround said:

I still like the one from Family Feud:

Q: Name a yellow fruit

A: Orange

The covers used to be eye-catching, but now they are quite childish and ott. Overall, the magazine's standards have dipped in recent years, and the paper quality very poor. Oh, for the days when you used to get a proper match report from someone who was live at the match, and when Peter Oakes used to have something in there worth reading. They only really push the boat out during Grand Prix weeks.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Given the demise of hundreds of magazines these days I think speedway is lucky to have a quality magazine out there , regardless of paper quality etc....costs must be high for the return in this online era so fair play to them

• Like 6

On 5/24/2023 at 8:22 PM, Trotter65 said:

Given the demise of hundreds of magazines these days I think speedway is lucky to have a quality magazine out there , regardless of paper quality etc....costs must be high for the return in this online era so fair play to them

Can't wait for it to go back to black and white pictures, then. Would this cut costs more?

To be perfectly honest, though, I only buy it because I have them all and to stop another magazine from going to the wall.

Edited by moxey63

Used to love the old Speedway Stars when the front cover was just a plain and simple affair with iconic photos on the front and rear cover. Just the Speedway Star banner and nothing else.

Around the tracks gave you the opportunity to view all the detailed  results along with a meeting report,  always an interesting  read.  Plus the   averages which appeared in league formation so you knew where each of the top riders were ranked in the averages.

Easy to read league tables with no complicated scoring system.

Seems then that  I much preferred reading the old Stars than todays modern format but that's just my personal opinion. 

• Like 5

Have to say - I am not a fan of teh way the results are set out in the magazine.  I was trying to compile some stats from last season and the results are scattered across  pages - so, cup finals \or semi finals are separated onto their own page . I do much prefer the old(er) format where they were all together in date order with a succinct report.

Also, add to me to the list of 'not a fan of the covers'. And where are the team photos?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MassMarauder said:

Have to say - I am not a fan of teh way the results are set out in the magazine.  I was trying to compile some stats from last season and the results are scattered across  pages - so, cup finals \or semi finals are separated onto their own page . I do much prefer the old(er) format where they were all together in date order with a succinct report.

Also, add to me to the list of 'not a fan of the covers'. And where are the team photos?

The Star used to pay track 'stringers' for a match report (the mag provided the scoring and heat details) and a piece based on follow-up quotes and/or news. In common with most magazines, payment didn't amount to very much - but it was better than nothing, particularly if you were being paid already, by your full-time employer, to report on a meeting. I assume ditching the match reports - main reason I used to buy the magazine when a spectating or reporting regular - was a cost-cutting exercise. I gather the Star - how low must its circulation figure be these days? - now has just one full-time employee.

Edited by Piotr Pyszny
  • Like 2

It's not as good as it was but we should be grateful to still see the Star on sale at places like Morrison's, Sainsbury's, Asda, and Smiths, such a minority sport nowadays.

The recent Motor Cycle News has pages of speedway news.:)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, auntie doris said:

It's not as good as it was but we should be grateful to still see the Star on sale at places like Morrison's, Sainsbury's, Asda, and Smiths, such a minority sport nowadays.

The recent Motor Cycle News has pages of speedway news.:)

I am a hard copy subscriber to the Star here in the USA - so very much appreciate the fact that we have a magazine still.  Just not a fan of the covers or the results layouts. 

I am just grateful that Speedway has a magazine. Yes ; the content is PR releases in the main but occasionally a couple of decent articles / features appear. The Briggo one was a recent one of interest gave an insight into the rider / person + character. Hopefully it will continue but having worked 15 years in media + advertising it will have a dwindling demographic and audience.