British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

SGP 3 and SGP 4 Malilla 14th/15th July

10 hours ago, DazS said:

thought i heard a Swedish guy interviewed said they only country that had a 250 cc league, could of heard it wrong:t:

British rider William Cairns also do frequent guest appearances for Team Latvia.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ghostwalker said:

British rider William Cairns also do frequent guest appearances for Team Latvia.

bloody hell i rode speedway for eight years in the eighty's, probably had the equivalent races these have in two years.

Posters, myself included, rarely hesitate to critisize Discovery (no Australian GP, track surfaces etc) but time to say something positive.

SGP 3 has been a huge sucess. The competition has been going since 2010, barely noticed by most, but thanks to its rebranding and broadcasting it has become a major event.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, iainb said:

How long have WBD got the Speedway contract for? The sooner they're out of our sport the better!

Who do you propose to do a better job?

7 minutes ago, truthsayer said:

Who do you propose to do a better job?

BSI/IMG

2 minutes ago, iainb said:

BSI/IMG

Agree, BSI/IMG put on a better show - but clearly it wasn't viable or else they would have kept the contract.

1 minute ago, truthsayer said:

Agree, BSI/IMG put on a better show - but clearly it wasn't viable or else they would have kept the contract.

I don't know the ins and outs of the bidding process but I assume that any other parties IMG and or One Sport were simply out bid by the might of WBD on their spending spree to pick up sports to fill air time (when they choose to) on their new TNT Sports channels.

1 minute ago, iainb said:

I don't know the ins and outs of the bidding process but I assume that any other parties IMG and or One Sport were simply out bid by the might of WBD on their spending spree to pick up sports to fill air time (when they choose to) on their new TNT Sports channels.

Truth is there are loads of people who could do a better job than WBD, including WBD themselves, but it all comes down to money. When you look at the set-up at Cardiff, for example, it's hard to see how that event can't lose money. Likewise all that TV production all costs a lot of money. They're doing it on the cheap, but probably doing as good any company would do with the resources available.

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

Posters, myself included, rarely hesitate to critisize Discovery (no Australian GP, track surfaces etc) but time to say something positive.

SGP 3 has been a huge sucess. The competition has been going since 2010, barely noticed by most, but thanks to its rebranding and broadcasting it has become a major event.

Major event? Held on a Friday afternoon in a forest somewhere in Sweden... in front of a meagre crowd?

I agree it's good move to have this meeting broadcast but let's not kid ourselves it's a major event. 

I don't quite get how WBD seem to be promoting SGP3/4 as feeder events, do they really think that riding in one meeting 1 or 2 meetings a year will get you into SGP? 

Edited by iainb
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, truthsayer said:

Truth is there are loads of people who could do a better job than WBD, including WBD themselves, but it all comes down to money. When you look at the set-up at Cardiff, for example, it's hard to see how that event can't lose money. Likewise all that TV production all costs a lot of money. They're doing it on the cheap, but probably doing as good any company would do with the resources available.

Cardiff may very well be a loss leader

11 hours ago, DazS said:

thought i heard a Swedish guy interviewed said they only country that had a 250 cc league, could of heard it wrong:t:

just seen replay, Morgan Anderson its what he said .:blink:

7 minutes ago, truthsayer said:

Loss almost certainly, but a leader for what?

It's a statement isn't it, it's saying look we're big time, don't look at the events we hold in forests in the middle of nowhere, this is big event, big stadium stuff, get the fans into this and they may be more inclined to travel to the arse end of Germany to have a look at what's going on there... it's basic marketing stuff

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Two Brits look good and nice racing styles. Woffinden there supporting the Aussie kids. 

If you remember a few years ago Woofy offered to look after young Brits but the British powers that be turned him down......... so cant grumble if he looks after someone else, wherever they from, thats what Woffy wants to do. Woofy has the will and the money to do things, British speedway rejected him.

• Like 1