British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ScunnyDan

Scunny v Redcar 02.06.2023 league

17 hours ago, Yearbyred said:

Very comfortable win for the Scorpions, Bears never threatened to even get close.

Lambert getting an untroubled paid maximum tells you all you need to know. Scunny will be very strong at home for the rest of the year.

Racing got better and a couple of really good heats but generally not as good as I’ve seen at Scunthorpe.

Connor Bailey the only bright spot for the Bears, some real aggressive passes and deserved his Heat 15 outing.

Adding 2p's worth: I thought the same.  Track seemed heavy early on, whether to suit Scunny or poss Redcar wouldn't like it or to keep the dust down which to be fair it did, not keen dusty meetings, woteva the racing did improve as the track slickened off.  A few times Redcar riders lined up a pass but didn't make it stick, maybe hit with wet shale ?  King & Wright don't tend to go well as you might think at Scunny, anyway as the saying goes "it was the same for both sides".

But Connor Bailey: was this really the same rider who struggled at Glasgow?  He top scored, a strange meeting when a No.6 does ht15 and he took the fight to Scuny all nite.  Like I said, track slickened off and the racing improved a lot as it often does at Scunny, & produced a good & enjoyable dice late on between Wolves team mates Douglas & Worrall, that was good fun.  Not my team(s) or rider(s) but I enjoyed it, I always enjoy speedway:D....

25 minutes ago, martinmauger said:

Adding 2p's worth: I thought the same.  Track seemed heavy early on, whether to suit Scunny or poss Redcar wouldn't like it or to keep the dust down which to be fair it did, not keen dusty meetings, woteva the racing did improve as the track slickened off.  A few times Redcar riders lined up a pass but didn't make it stick, maybe hit with wet shale ?  King & Wright don't tend to go well as you might think at Scunny, anyway as the saying goes "it was the same for both sides".

But Connor Bailey: was this really the same rider who struggled at Glasgow?  He top scored, a strange meeting when a No.6 does ht15 and he took the fight to Scuny all nite.  Like I said, track slickened off and the racing improved a lot as it often does at Scunny, & produced a good & enjoyable dice late on between Wolves team mates Douglas & Worrall, that was good fun.  Not my team(s) or rider(s) but I enjoyed it, I always enjoy speedway:D....

Agree about King, not a track he rides particularly well, but Wright has scored 11, 13 and 14 on his last 3 visits and beat Douglas from the back last time there so he’s normally a lot better than he was last night. 

Wouldn't disgree, don't follow scores as closely as I prob should thought Redcar would score a lot better, think even some Scunny fans predicted a 6-8 pt home win, like I said track same for everyone .  It didn't seem to bother Bailey too much & I do realise Bears TM gave him ht 15 as he was 'on it' & to keep his mojo going....

Edited by martinmauger
added 2p
  • Like 1

The coin toss and gate choice was significant, Rory Schlein said immediately Redcar had called it wrong going for 1&3. 2 & 4 are always better earlier before the racing line affects 4, and so that gifted Scunthorpe the best gates both early in the meeting and later when they had the better inside gates just as the outside lost its mojo. 

Scunthorpe opting to take the choices in heat 15 tells you they expected a close contest, gate 4 was dominant in the first half and Redcar didn’t have it when it mattered. 

Enjoyed the racing last night,well done scorpions and take a bow Connor bailey,really attacked the track.now for something a little out of context.what the heck has happened to the food at Scunthorpe? Could always rely on lovely pie and chips or chips and curry sauce,last night it was awful!!!and that's an understatement.the pie was burnt and dry,the chips soggy and pie chips and peas now £7.00.i totally wasted £14 on two portions and the food seems to be poor ever since they moved from the old building.come on Scunthorpe don't lose your tag as the best steak pie in the league.......please!!!!

5 hours ago, IanBrannan said:

The coin toss and gate choice was significant, Rory Schlein said immediately Redcar had called it wrong going for 1&3. 2 & 4 are always better earlier before the racing line affects 4, and so that gifted Scunthorpe the best gates both early in the meeting and later when they had the better inside gates just as the outside lost its mojo. 

Scunthorpe opting to take the choices in heat 15 tells you they expected a close contest, gate 4 was dominant in the first half and Redcar didn’t have it when it mattered. 

Changing gate positions every heat ,so coin toss is really not that important. I think prior to the start, everyone both home and away supporters expected a close finish.   Charles Wright probably had his worst meeting at the EWR, usually he is top notch. Scorpions just had their race heads on all night, but it was alarming not looking out for each other when in front. Heat 14 was lost by Jake because he was nursing his team mate around- not a bad thing, but it definitely cost him a win.

So we have a 20 point advantage ,but we have blown so many points away at Redcar we cannot be complacent.

35 minutes ago, scunny1 said:

Changing gate positions every heat ,so coin toss is really not that important. I think prior to the start, everyone both home and away supporters expected a close finish.   Charles Wright probably had his worst meeting at the EWR, usually he is top notch. Scorpions just had their race heads on all night, but it was alarming not looking out for each other when in front. Heat 14 was lost by Jake because he was nursing his team mate around- not a bad thing, but it definitely cost him a win.

So we have a 20 point advantage ,but we have blown so many points away at Redcar we cannot be complacent.

Charles Wright, did have his worst meeting, at the EWR, but because he was struggling to get a set  up that worked, as were most of the bears, (Connor Bailey excepted). You could see he was spinning up and struggling for traction out of the starts and out on track. Whatever set up he had used previously, didn't apply last night. I have long believed, that there is a trick to the set up at Scunny (its surface and material are not like, a lot of other tracks) and Rory Schlien alluded to this on BSN commentary, when he said it was a big secret, with Ryan Douglas.

1 hour ago, scunny1 said:

They don’t alternate every heat though, heats 7,8,9 & 10 and 13 a team gets a run of the opposite gates to the ones they picked. 

So thanks to the gate choices it meant Scunny had 1 & 3, 5 times out of 7 heats, at the part of the night when the outside went off and the inside gates worked better. 

With the exception of heat 11 (where Redcar were on a 5-1 and blew it), every winner / heat advantage from heat 7 to heat 15 came from gate 1 & 3, and gates 2 & 4 did the business heats 1-6. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, IanBrannan said:

They don’t alternate every heat though, heats 7,8,9 & 10 and 13 a team gets a run of the opposite gates to the ones they picked. 

So thanks to the gate choices it meant Scunny had 1 & 3, 5 times out of 7 heats, at the part of the night when the outside went off and the inside gates worked better. 

With the exception of heat 11 (where Redcar were on a 5-1 and blew it), every winner / heat advantage from heat 7 to heat 15 came from gate 1 & 3, and gates 2 & 4 did the business heats 1-6. 

Not totally true as what I saw & seen posted on the updates site, the riders had to work through to get their better finishing positions.as we rarely see FTG as positions change throughout the races.

Edited by IronScorpion
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, IanBrannan said:

Perhaps they should go back to the old system where gates did alternate, and if a team was 6 points behind they got gate choice.

2 hours ago, redlead said:

Perhaps they should go back to the old system where gates did alternate, and if a team was 6 points behind they got gate choice.

But under our system, every rider is in each gate once in their programmed rides so what could be fairer.

Gating positions gets you to the 1st corner & after that it is up to the riders skills where he needs to be on track.

How many times do you see riders on the inside head to the outside apex of turns 1 & 2 & riders on the outside have to shut off or cut back to the inside.

2 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

But under our system, every rider is in each gate once in their programmed rides so what could be fairer.

Gating positions gets you to the 1st corner & after that it is up to the riders skills where he needs to be on track.

How many times do you see riders on the inside head to the outside apex of turns 1 & 2 & riders on the outside have to shut off or cut back to the inside.

Each system has its merits, but the old system each team gets 1-3, 2-4 equally,  (unless in the case of going 6 behind) the team manager can choose which gate his riders go off. Ht 15 would be as it is now.  

10 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

Not totally true as what I saw & seen posted on the updates site, the riders had to work through to get their better finishing positions.as we rarely see FTG as positions change throughout the races.

It’s a fair point and there was good racing, I’ve just watched every start heat 7 to 15 back, and gate 1 was first to the turn every time (for you holeshot fans) aside heat 12 when Worrall got there first from gate 3. 

So might not be from the gate, but 1&3 were first to the bend every time but 1, and were first over the line even if they had changed pos during racing. Probably just coincidence.

Edited by IanBrannan
Context

10 hours ago, IanBrannan said:

It’s a fair point and there was good racing, I’ve just watched every start heat 7 to 15 back, and gate 1 was first to the turn every time (for you holeshot fans) aside heat 12 when Worrall got there first from gate 3. 

So might not be from the gate, but 1&3 were first to the bend every time but 1, and were first over the line even if they had changed pos during racing. Probably just coincidence.

So basically you agree, no excuse Redcar choosing gate positions. You would be better off analysing positions after second bend i.e after bunching and initial cut backs had settled out.:D