British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GiveusaB

Birmingham v Oxford

Watched tonight’s stream. What was LR thinking of when he wasted a tactical sub ride in heat 5 against the leagues best rider and not to even use his number one ! And ironically Sedgmen could have ridden anyway as R/R

also not using R/R at 2 seems daft too and then using 4th top scorer in the nominated heat when he hasn’t ridden for 5 heats. Unbelievable 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The sooner Rogers is sacked the better!

We will fold lf he stays in charge of team affairs!

Edited by GiveusaB

4 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

The sooner Rogers is sacked the better!

He's an absolute joke!

We will fold lf he stays in charge of team affairs!

Looking forward to hearing Brian Buck defend him once again?

Brian...have some balls and say it how it is.

Rogers is undoing all your hard work!

Maybe get MF to guest team manage as he just got Poole to 64! ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Birmingham's woes comes as no surprise the team apart from Morris and Sedgman looks like a team of reserves.  What are the crowds like at Perry Barr this season ... ??  

Interesting feedback from my wife and her colleague, who went this evening, whilst working for a week (and next) in Birmingham. From their hotel, near New Street, to the stadium, it was four stops on the train and a five-minute walk.

The Gloucestershire-based colleague had seen speedway only on TV, and was particularly impressed with the quicker pace of a live, untelevised meeting (i.e. no pregnant pauses between heats, which, ironically, is something speedway's remaining regulars tend to moan/worry about).

Both enjoyed it - despite Birmingham being generally uncompetitive and it getting extremely cold by the end.

My wife did say the home promoters took to the centre green to apologise for the weakness of the team and assure supporters something would be done.

Both will be in Birmingham again next week, concluding a fortnight's assignment. Had Brummies also been at home a week today, they'd have revisited, which is a good sign.

Remember the days when, barring bad weather, speedway clubs had a meeting every week between the end of March and mid-October?!

My wife was a little puzzled Birmingham's 2023 pin badge(s) still hasn't arrived. Did the start of the season in March/April take the club by surprise?!

Neither my wife nor her colleague has access to a car whilst working away, which rules out a trip to Monmore Green next Monday. They'd have been happy to go, if getting there (and back), from Birmingham, after a day in the office, were easier by public transport.

Edited by Piotr Pyszny
  • Like 1

It's easy to get to Monmore from Birmingham city centre.

Take the tram to Wolverhampton there is short walk to the stadium,from  the tram stop.

4 minutes ago, Brummies_Ste said:

It's easy to get to Monmore from Birmingham city centre.

Take the tram to Wolverhampton there is short walk to the stadium,from  the tram stop.

Thanks. I'll get them to look into it. 

3 hours ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

Watched tonight’s stream. What was LR thinking of when he wasted a tactical sub ride in heat 5 against the leagues best rider and not to even use his number one ! And ironically Sedgmen could have ridden anyway as R/R

also not using R/R at 2 seems daft too and then using 4th top scorer in the nominated heat when he hasn’t ridden for 5 heats. Unbelievable 

The only reason to use Sedgmen as a t/s in heat 5 rather than r/r would be if Birmingham expected to get a heat advantage & not fall 6 behind again!

Does seem an odd heat to do it in (against Masters) unless the plan wad just to beat Heeps? Also an odd choice of rider as Sedgmen had fallen in heat 4, so how could they decide so early on that he was the right rider to get the extra race?

Although I will say, there's no reason why r/r should be at number 2 imo

9 hours ago, Hackett said:

Birmingham's woes comes as no surprise the team apart from Morris and Sedgman looks like a team of reserves.  What are the crowds like at Perry Barr this season ... ??  

Lower than what they were at the start of the season!

Edited by GiveusaB

41 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Lower than what they were at the start of the season!

General concensus last night was that it was the highest of the season so far. But it was still pretty abysmal.

That birmingham consortium must have zillions, theyve done untold last yr and more of the same this.

The team was always top heavy to accomodate the no 1 we lacked under the Masons and since Nigel Tolley arrived.

Unfortunately we've got a No 1 who is for some reason riding like a Number 4, he's certainly not a Masters / Lawson type rider.

Sedgeman has always been marmite, sadly it looks like his form and impact is tailing off in year 2 as it has done in the past.

Pearson has improved but needs to be in a better team to continue that improvement and Bowtell is 100% but may be guilty of trying too hard on occasions to make up for deficiencies elsewhere.

Very impressed with Jenkins and Atkins last night, 2 lads who've had stop start periods due to injury and being discarded by other Clubs somewhat inexplicably, both rode with real freedom and enjoyment and Oxford look to be getting things right.

I can't fault the Masons nor Nigel for their hrd work and obviously both losing / lost shedloads to give us Speedway. I know the Oxford promotion have some money behind them, probably more than Masons and Tolley but they also seem to have a Stadium Landlord happy to help them rather than chastise and obstruct them.

Frankly, I, and i know many others, have no expectation beyond the last meeting of this season, and that's nothing to do with the mamangement, the team or anything ON the track, purely down to (a) Stadium Owners (b) the fact that no one can expect successful but limited in terms of available cash businessmment to continue to pump in tens of thousands on the basis that their hearts have over-ruled their heads. 

If Oxford can attract average crowds of 1500 or more and 800 or more for NDL , why do we struggle to get 500 for CL, and last night only boosted by a sizable Oxford contingent. The answer to that may go back many years and lots of factors.

One massive question though remains, that is WHY have we never been able to attract ex Coventry / Cradley fans to PB in the way that Oxford have attracted Swindon / Reading fans who make significantly longer trips inmidweek. It's not as if the much maligned (and unfairly on occasion in my opinion) Promoter / Manager hasn't done his utmost to attract Cradley / Coventry fans, but where are they??...

If Wolves survive I may watch Speedway there, otherwise I'll make the not difficult trip down the M40 on occasions down to Oxford if PB does close on a few occasions and go to Leicester but sadly and it is sad, I cannot see any sustainable future for the Sport in the West Midlands unless CVS can pull a rabbit out of the hat! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, arnieg said:

General concensus last night was that it was the highest of the season so far. But it was still pretty abysmal.

That's because of the away support attendance !

That's when Rogers took everyone by surprise by sending his skipper straight back out as a tactical substitution, in a race where he was eligible for a rider replacement outing, against the top averaged rider in the league in Sam Masters who had taken the chequered flag untroubled in the opener.

From the main Birmingham website page......

We might as well rename the team..... 'Billy Smart Brummies' !

Edited by GiveusaB