British Speedway Forum
topaz325

Workington v Leicester 10/06/2023 3pm

2 hours ago, PotteringAround said:

Callum Foy is the A.R. but wouldn't expect him to get a ride.  Extra R/R rides for Pijper, Harrison, and H McGurk make Workington massively stronger than if Kelly was riding.

Leicester are weakened by the loss of D Thompson, and have a pretty much like-for-like with Kai Ward in for injured Vinnie Foord.  That means this will be a very comfortable home win.

Whilst extra rides for Pijper and Harrison strengthens the Comets, Harry having to take all 4 rides weakens them (plus there is the unknowns of how Luke Harrisons fitness will hold up on a hot day and taking extra rides. For the visitors much depends which version of Roynon turns up but Kai Ward is notably weaker than Vinnie Foord would have been.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PotteringAround said:

Callum Foy is the A.R. but wouldn't expect him to get a ride.  Extra R/R rides for Pijper, Harrison, and H McGurk make Workington massively stronger than if Kelly was riding.

Leicester are weakened by the loss of D Thompson, and have a pretty much like-for-like with Kai Ward in for injured Vinnie Foord.  That means this will be a very comfortable home win.

Makes comets massively stronger lol elliots last 2  full meetings 10+2,8+3 clueless 

9 minutes ago, Supersteady84 said:

Makes comets massively stronger lol elliots last 2  full meetings 10+2,8+3 clueless 

Don't worry about being clueless.  You'll soon pick it up.  

19 minutes ago, Supersteady84 said:

Scores don't always tell a story though. Paid 12 and paid 11 looks decent enough but it was from reserve against other poor reserves (and one ride a meeting against Harry whos been getting beat by the mascot...probably). Riding in the 1-5 would have been a much tougher afternoon and a good haul would have been 4-5 points, i would be expecting Pijper and Harrison to easily achieve that covering his rides.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Whilst extra rides for Pijper and Harrison strengthens the Comets, Harry having to take all 4 rides weakens them (plus there is the unknowns of how Luke Harrisons fitness will hold up on a hot day and taking extra rides. For the visitors much depends which version of Roynon turns up but Kai Ward is notably weaker than Vinnie Foord would have been.  

Does harry not have a min 3 rides?

44 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Does harry not have a min 3 rides?

Yes, but the point is it effectively becomes four unless Worky plan to give Foy a ride.

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Scores don't always tell a story though. Paid 12 and paid 11 looks decent enough but it was from reserve against other poor reserves (and one ride a meeting against Harry whos been getting beat by the mascot...probably). Riding in the 1-5 would have been a much tougher afternoon and a good haul would have been 4-5 points, i would be expecting Pijper and Harrison to easily achieve that covering his rides.

So that makes the comets massively stronger???? With a rider at reserve that is struggling to score a point 

Edited by Supersteady84

1 hour ago, PotteringAround said:

Don't worry about being clueless.  You'll soon pick it up.  

I honestly don't think you'll ever pick it up !!!! Clueless 

31 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Yes, but the point is it effectively becomes four unless Worky plan to give Foy a ride.

Harry has been sorely lacking in all departments so far not least confidence and looking like he his actually enjoying it. I hope he can rediscover some passion, speed and confidence otherwise i can't see him having a future in speedway. Callum Foy isn't ready for this level from what i have seen to date and i doubt very much he will get a ride from choice.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PotteringAround said:

Wouldn't quibble with your Leicester analysis, but would suggest that you may be a good bit out as far as the "massively stronger" home team is concerned.

Harry McGurk, for whatever reason, is currently nowhere near his known form. By my reckoning he's had four league meetings, three of them at home, and scored six plus four from 15 rides.

Kelly was going well and while I take the point made elsewhere that riding in the top five is harder, results breed confidence and I think he will make the transition successfully.

An extra ride for Pijper is potentially good news, certainly. I'd blink a bit at seven rides for Harrison, only lately back from serious injury. Without R/R he could, potentially, have had his four rides, one of McGurk's and perhaps another if anyone is struggling, reserve replacement for tapes/time exclusion and so forth.

With R/R, he may need to take three of those rides, McGurk (and I do hope he fixes whatever is not working and returns to his customary standard) his full four. Injury and/or loss of form elsewhere would then be a big, big problem.

But it's all opinion, which is why we all love to come on here and chuck in our two-penn'orth!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fourentee said:

An extra ride for Pijper is potentially good news, certainly. I'd blink a bit at seven rides for Harrison, only lately back from serious injury. Without R/R he could, potentially, have had his four rides, one of McGurk's and perhaps another if anyone is struggling, reserve replacement for tapes/time exclusion and so forth.

Luke came through five rides with no adverse effects last week. He was a little tender on the Monday but has been good all week after so let's what see what tomorrow brings sincerely hoping the seven isn't on the cards .

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Luke came through five rides with no adverse effects last week. He was a little tender on the Monday but has been good all week after so let's what see what tomorrow brings sincerely hoping the seven isn't on the cards .

Thanks for the info, appreciated. If Harry McGurk finds something like his previous form, the issue won't arise. But it's not an easy match. Fingers crossed.

10 hours ago, Fourentee said:

Wouldn't quibble with your Leicester analysis, but would suggest that you may be a good bit out as far as the "massively stronger" home team is concerned.

Harry McGurk, for whatever reason, is currently nowhere near his known form. 

Kelly was going well and while I take the point made elsewhere that riding in the top five is harder,

Think you're underestimating the strength of Workington.

Luke Harrison will be fine fitness-wise, and is a class act.   The R/R will be solid with a ride for Pijper, 2 rides for Harrison, and a ride for H McGurk and will produce a lot more points than the single point from Kelly in the Mildenhall home loss.  Kelly has crashed a couple of times at reserve, and as you say riding top 5 is harder.

Conversely riding at reserve is easier, and H McGurk has been a consistent, solid 7-8 .point heat leader in the last few seasons.  The move to Workington has been a disaster so far, but you don't become a bad rider overnight.  Moving to reserve could see him making hay.  This could be the comeback meeting.  

Dan Thompson is the NL No.1 man.  The Leicester side is built around big double figures from the twins.  Roynon is capable of a big score, but as we saw last Saturday, it's not easy to replace the league No.1, so Leicester are much weakened.     I'm not so worried about the Ward for Foord replacement.  Foord is another erratic type who could crash out as easily as score points.  Ward will have a go and pick up any gift points without pulling up too many trees.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, PotteringAround said:

The R/R will be solid with a ride for Pijper, 2 rides for Harrison, and a ride for H McGurk and will produce a lot more points than the single point from Kelly in the Mildenhall home loss. 

Of course it should, just as a fit Kelly should produce more than his single point from a meeting in which he crashed in his first ride, was third of three finishers in his second and then withdrew injured!

But that wasn't your original contention and isn't what we're debating. You said that Workington are "massively stronger" with R/R rather than Kelly riding, not massively stronger than the last meeting when he got hurt.

And I, for the reasons outlined earlier, disagree. 

Good to chat, though.