British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bald Bloke

King's Lynn v Wolves 15/06/23

19 minutes ago, tellboy said:

Totally agree BB,some people get stuck in the past and think it was great then compared to now.But as you say the racing isn't much different at all.You got a lot of strung out races back in the so called good old days.The only thing different back then was the size of crowds and atmosphere that made it seem that much better imo.What else did we have to do in the 70's and 80''s:lol:,apart from the obvious.Was thre a baby boom in those decades :rolleyes::lol:

Will say this back in the 70s especially some team only visited once in a season Belle Vue prime example as both Lynn and Belle Vue at that time was Saturday night speedway so when Belle Vue visited it was go that night or wait till the following season now when Belle Vue or any other PL club you oh well go next time . And Saturday night speedway you got visiting fans sometimes even a coach now mid week racing that doesn’t happen. Of course bigger crowds better atmosphere obviously but won’t happen now sadly 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

I've watched dozens of old meetings back. And tbh it wasn't as good as some like to think it was.

During lockdown I watched plenty of old speedway meetings - some were from the Save Oxford Speedway Channel many had the Nielsen era and the racing certainly wasn't that great, Nielsen often just cleared off  into the distance. I also started ordering some meetings from classicspeedway that I remember being belters when I was there  - mainly from the 80s and again on video they don't come across that great at all yet I remember them being hugely exciting at the time. I have always said Speedway is best live!

Edited by GeneralMelchett
  • Like 3

Good meeting some decent racing and Laguta was excellent 

Disappointed Wolves couldn't see a lead out in the last few heats again but overall I'm.happy with the point

21 minutes ago, noaksey said:

Good meeting some decent racing and Laguta was excellent 

Disappointed Wolves couldn't see a lead out in the last few heats again but overall I'm.happy with the point

Glad that you enjoyed it. The racing has been better in the last few weeks due to different track preparation. No sun delay either although the meeting did drag on a bit due to R/R on both sides, MPT injury, watering etc

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Haza said:

Will say this back in the 70s especially some team only visited once in a season Belle Vue prime example as both Lynn and Belle Vue at that time was Saturday night speedway so when Belle Vue visited it was go that night or wait till the following season now when Belle Vue or any other PL club you oh well go next time . And Saturday night speedway you got visiting fans sometimes even a coach now mid week racing that doesn’t happen. Of course bigger crowds better atmosphere obviously but won’t happen now sadly 

There's obviously 2 reasons you won't have Saturday nights at Lynn,stock cars make the money on the weekend.And for Elite league racing Poland dictate pretty much every day of the week sadly.Even the lesser riders do Poland at the weekends.

22 minutes ago, tellboy said:

There's obviously 2 reasons you won't have Saturday nights at Lynn,stock cars make the money on the weekend.And for Elite league racing Poland dictate pretty much every day of the week sadly.Even the lesser riders do Poland at the weekends.

Never said  we would return to Saturday racing it’s not possible the move away from Saturday was mainly because of the GPs - I was just saying Saturday did create bigger crowds especially visiting fans and also children on a school night as a kid I’d never been allowed to go to speedway with  school the next day so there is a number of reasons crowds have  dwindled over the years not just the more obvious ones .

On 6/16/2023 at 11:41 AM, Haza said:

Never said  we would return to Saturday racing it’s not possible the move away from Saturday was mainly because of the GPs - I was just saying Saturday did create bigger crowds especially visiting fans and also children on a school night as a kid I’d never been allowed to go to speedway with  school the next day so there is a number of reasons crowds have  dwindled over the years not just the more obvious ones .

Could race NL on Saturday's, see what sort of crowds they get for that?

41 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Could race NL on Saturday's, see what sort of crowds they get for that?

Despite the racing often being described as excellent Kings Lynn fans have never really embraced NL racing, in fact despite decent and local riders on show crowds have generally been poor. Im sure quotes of 200 max at some meetings.....