British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
IronScorpion

Woofy returns in 2024

Playing Devil's Advocate here.

In my working career I was trained by Rolls Royce (a GREAT company to work for BTW) as an apprentice and paid a wage whilst doing so.

Similar to a NL rider.

At the end of my apprenticeship, I was taken on as a full time machinist and paid a great deal more than my apprenticeship wage.

Similar to NL rider progressing to be a CL and/or PL rider.

If another company offered me, (now with a young family to support), a vastly increased wage to induce me to leave RR would I have changed jobs?  Of course I would.

Wouldn't you?

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, bellevueace said:

Me too, when he was in his pomp and world champion he could have done so much for the sport in this country, he had the image to connect with the younger generations and create media headlines. Of course he was nowhere to be seen and now sees the UK as a top up to his pension pot now his star has waned. Compare to Jason Doyles loyalty to speedway in this country,

Or you could look at it like any fan up and down the country has for years and seen the only way speedway in the uk was heading was downwards, woffy would’ve clearly seen the way it was being run badly as it has for the past 15+ year and when he was winning his world titles it was him alone with an embarrassing Chris Harris or Nicholls struggling to get a handful of points each gp, you can’t lay the blame on him for the way speedway has been mismanaged over here. It’s only the last few years we’ve had the youth days and the gb training camps which woffy has been involved in as well as glasgow and a host of other people, if they hadn’t bothered I dread to think what state we would be in because the people in charge have no interest in setting anything up like this. 

• Like 3

Woofy has already stated he would like to be involved with Wolves if they could find a few acres of land that would incorporate motocross .Personally can't see that happening,unless they cross the border into South Staffs where possibly there's room next to the i54 site.                                                              PS...Entail have reiterated they won't be changing their mind about Monmore. 

What puzzled me the most when they were discussing it on Eurosport was Nicholls & Tatum suggesting that the favourites to land him would be Wolves! As if it was a given that they'd be riding next year

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, iainb said:

What puzzled me the most when they were discussing it on Eurosport was Nicholls & Tatum suggesting that the favourites to land him would be Wolves! As if it was a given that they'd be riding next year

If that happens can see it only being at Birmingham (if they're still running) for a season. Can't see in the time remaining how they can put together all the facilities required for a new track.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, iainb said:

To be fair... look at the clowns he has to deal with over here :icon_smile_clown:

He,ll have to deal with them next year.

9 hours ago, bloom89 said:

Or you could look at it like any fan up and down the country has for years and seen the only way speedway in the uk was heading was downwards, woffy would’ve clearly seen the way it was being run badly as it has for the past 15+ year and when he was winning his world titles it was him alone with an embarrassing Chris Harris or Nicholls struggling to get a handful of points each gp, you can’t lay the blame on him for the way speedway has been mismanaged over here. It’s only the last few years we’ve had the youth days and the gb training camps which woffy has been involved in as well as glasgow and a host of other people, if they hadn’t bothered I dread to think what state we would be in because the people in charge have no interest in setting anything up like this. 

True but Woffinden was in a position to help the sport from his position of being a British world champion with the personality to promote the sport nationally and connect with the younger generations the sport badly needs to attract, im not blaming him for the sport being mismanaged  but he could have done a lot more to help the situation considering his standing. The sport is still badly run but apparently he has no problem coming back to top up the pension pot, he would have made a far greater impact as a current world champion, opportunity missed.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bellevueace said:

True but Woffinden was in a position to help the sport from his position of being a British world champion with the personality to promote the sport nationally and connect with the younger generations the sport badly needs to attract, im not blaming him for the sport being mismanaged  but he could have done a lot more to help the situation considering his standing. The sport is still badly run but apparently he has no problem coming back to top up the pension pot, he would have made a far greater impact as a current world champion, opportunity missed.

While I agree with most of what you say, he's not coming back to top up his pension pot is he. He's giving up Sweden, so he'll probably be earning less.

I think the Premiership needs a major overhaul next season before too many riders like Woffinden come back... Unless a squad system is adopted like Sweden and for example Bewley and Woffinden both sign as number 1 for Belle Vue and split the rides...

I think teams which are struggling to make ends meet need to move down and clear the way for upcoming, forward thinking teams like Glasgow, Redcar and Oxford... I'm sure Poole would be in there too if the racenight wasn't such an issue...

39 minutes ago, bellevueace said:

It was and is not his job whatsoever

14 minutes ago, therefused said:

True but Woffinden was in a position to help the sport from his position of being a British world champion with the personality to promote the sport nationally and connect with the younger generations the sport badly needs to attract,

we need more tattooed youngsters with big holes in their ears :rofl:

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, bellevueace said:

I get that but we have to be realistic and speedway in this country is now not a popular sport well gone are the 60/70s where you had tens of thousands of people at league meetings. It’s never going to get back to those days yes you have the odd meeting here and there where a good line up will draw the crowds but in the main apart from the people who go it’s a sport nobody cares about and that isn’t going to change. 

At the rate we’re going be lucky if there’s a dozen tracks between the “top” two leagues next year but it’s fine because we have a couple of the gp riders over here. Looking at the crowds I don’t even know how some of the teams can afford them.

IMO we should just go to one league next season 5 man teams and number 5 rider has to be British and under 23 stop all this doubling up nonsense and have the ndl for teams who just want to stay in that league with no intention of stepping up but this is all fairytale stuff and will never happen. They’ll bury there heads in the sand again and probably bring in a squad system for number one and in there mind everything will be hunky dory because we have Doyle, holder, bewley and woffy riding here.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Toady said:

Gone are the days when there will be any gates to add to

Kings Lynn have got a decent gate !!!! 

• Haha 2

Probably won’t concern my club because we either won’t exist anymore or we won’t be interested because our riders are found in the bargain bin but I’d avoid like the plague if he does want to ride here next year.

14 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Does it really matter? Who cares. You could say Emil is only here cos he’s not in the GP’s. 

Yes and I do. Emil is not British so not comparable at all. Riders should support their home leagues, as nearly all do, if they have one, even more so if you are the world champion. 

• Like 2