British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Birmingham v Poole Championship. 19/7/23

20 hours ago, Deano said:

My lad and his mates went and stood with the Poole fans for a short time on bend one. They said it was a wild atmosphere. What other sport could you do that!

Rugby union.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OGT said:

Rugby union.

Yes mostly, all except Wales v England 

• Like 1

There has been endless speculation on this site about the size of Birmingham's crowds. I'm not suggesting that they are in any way satisfactory, and I certainly agree that speedway in a City the size of Birmingham ought to be much better supported, but people should bear in mind that a high proportion of Birmingham's patrons do watch the racing from inside the restaurant/bar which is air conditioned on hot nights and centrally heated on cold nights as well as having over 800 comfortable seats and a superb view of the track.

Personally, I dislike watching speedway from inside, but at Perry Barr the external viewing  from the home straight is very poor due to the gr.ound being flat with no tiered terracing, and on a cold or damp night inside viewing has its consolations.

I'd like to see better attendances at Perry Barr yes - but Birmingham's crowds aren't as dire as some people imagine, and seem to be fairly similar to a number of other tracks I have been to.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, brianbuck said:

There has been endless speculation on this site about the size of Birmingham's crowds. I'm not suggesting that they are in any way satisfactory, and I certainly agree that speedway in a City the size of Birmingham ought to be much better supported, but people should bear in mind that a high proportion of Birmingham's patrons do watch the racing from inside the restaurant/bar which is air conditioned on hot nights and centrally heated on cold nights as well as having over 800 comfortable seats and a superb view of the track.

Personally, I dislike watching speedway from inside, but at Perry Barr the external viewing  from the home straight is very poor due to the gr.ound being flat with no tiered terracing, and on a cold or damp night inside viewing has its consolations.

I'd like to see better attendances at Perry Barr yes - but Birmingham's crowds aren't as dire as some people imagine, and seem to be fairly similar to a number of other tracks I have been to.

When I visited I viewed from the grandstand as I have done before and I think it is something you would get used to also I felt the crowd level wasn’t to bad and I also think the promotion are doing great job considering all the setbacks they’ve had

Long live the Brummies.

2 hours ago, brianbuck said:

There always will be speculation (at every track) as British Speedway doesn't announce attendances. Strange when most sports do, plus foreign speedway leagues as well.

16 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

There always will be speculation (at every track) as British Speedway doesn't announce attendances. Strange when most sports do, plus foreign speedway leagues as well.

And you got to ask yourself why? 

2 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Long Eaton speedway printed the attendance in the results section of the programme during the Tony Mole era.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lbw said:

Long Eaton speedway printed the attendance in the results section of the programme during the Tony Mole era.

Yes but he could afford to pay his tax!!

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, lbw said:

17 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Yes but he could afford to pay his tax!!

But clubs don't have to announce their real attendances, just the ones they give to the tax man lol!

In all seriousness, there's only 2 reasons not to announce attendances 1) you're embarrassed by the low numbers, 2) pretending less turned up pay less VAT etc.

I remember years ago Glasgow gave a free programme away, said programme value £5 on it, while not illegal I assume that would save money compared to saying it had £2 value?