British Speedway Forum
JanAndersen

Danish Grand Prix - Vojens - 16th Sep

1 hour ago, CB252 said:

Not sure they will gain much from this sport. All sounds a bit advanced for most speedway fans.

The appetite for sponsorship has changed significantly, especially in the current climate.

I have a friend whose father-in-law is the Managing Director of a fabrication company. They’re a second-tier sponsor - meaning they’re not branded on the kits, but they are everywhere else, such as the stadium - of a football club with an average attendance of 50,000 every week and the commercial commitment is basically a business development exercise. 99.9% of those in attendance don’t and never will require the use of his company, but the business they secure through treating their potential customers as corporate guests at training days, stadium tours and match days is unbelievable.

”There it is, Mr Customer; our company logo, slapped across the upper tier of a major football club’s stadium. Not bad, eh?”

I’ve met him twice and I know how proud he is of that, so I can just imagine how angry he’d be and how quickly he’d instruct his lawyers to take action, should his sponsorship be in speedway and his potential customer have gone ”the star player isn’t wearing it, though”.

Edited by TheWellBehavedWorrall
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CB252 said:

Had some friends with this issue.

Husband switched the contract in to the wife's name to take advantage of 'new customer' offers, and used the same email address to register the second Sky ID.

So when they were trying to add Discovery the final step in the process fails, as when it comes back to Sky they don't know where to add the package to as the email address is in their system twice.

Thanks for your reply - yes that makes sense as I believe it’s an email problem possibly Discovery end but for 23 years Sky has been in husband’s name and email address and never changed - we have also used his email for Discovery+ and then yes the process fails.   Keeps trying to make us pay for their Subscription but it should already be covered by Sky but D+ doesn’t seem to recognise that.    After spending hours on the phone to Sky don’t know what else to do - it’s a pain!!!   

Yes I can I imagine the scenario “ Go out in this suit Bart and we will bung  you a few thousand pounds, what’s the worst that can happen you will be four points ahead in the championship going into Torun”

:rofl:

He just posted this on his Instagram.

762-D6-C9-E-6-F06-45-D5-8-FE2-C49998-C0-

For those unfamiliar with Polish, allow me to assist;

”They’re bothered about my race suit? Leon Madsen’s that small he gets his from Build-A-Bear. Phil Morris drink or choice is Lambrini and I’m going to win the world title in Toruń, anyway. Bye”

Edited by TheWellBehavedWorrall
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, TheWellBehavedWorrall said:

He just posted this on his Instagram.

762-D6-C9-E-6-F06-45-D5-8-FE2-C49998-C0-

For those unfamiliar with Polish, allow me to assist;

”They’re bothered about my race suit? Leon Madsen’s that small he gets his from Build-A-Bear. Phil Morris drink or choice is Lambrini and I’m going to win the world title in Toruń, anyway. Bye”

The correct translation of his statement is available on sportowe before anyone thinks the above is serious. 

https://sportowefakty.wp.pl/zuzel/1081904/zuzel-bartosz-zmarzlik-przemowil-po-dyskwalifikacji-pierwsza-w-zyciu-niewyobraza

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CB252 said:

The correct translation of his statement is available on sportowe before anyone thinks the above is serious. 

https://sportowefakty.wp.pl/zuzel/1081904/zuzel-bartosz-zmarzlik-przemowil-po-dyskwalifikacji-pierwsza-w-zyciu-niewyobraza

Of course mine wasn’t serious.

I’m pleased to see the narrative being encouraged by Sportowefakty and this article is that Zmarzlik is in the wrong.

If it’s an honest mistake, then he’s an absolute moron, but his comments around ”no-one said a thing about it until later” are an attempted insult to the reader’s intelligence. There isn’t a ‘Head of Race Suits’ hanging around, waiting to ban riders breaching commercial commitments. It’s assumed that, as 15+ did, everyone would adhere, so numerous conversations in the background would have taken place before Zmarzlik was informed.

• Like 1

Zmarzlik signed a contract, he didn't adhere to it, knowing the punishment. His fault!  Could the  the late punishment be because he was wearing the "wrong" kevlars for the main meeting. Maybe if he had changed into the "right" kevlars for the main event, nothing would have been said? Was he told in the meantime to change, If so, his fault again.

Edited by ElmParkRG2

1 hour ago, TheWellBehavedWorrall said:

The appetite for sponsorship has changed significantly, especially in the current climate.

I have a friend whose father-in-law is the Managing Director of a fabrication company. They’re a second-tier sponsor - meaning they’re not branded on the kits, but they are everywhere else, such as the stadium - of a football club with an average attendance of 50,000 every week and the commercial commitment is basically a business development exercise. 99.9% of those in attendance don’t and never will require the use of his company, but the business they secure through treating their potential customers as corporate guests at training days, stadium tours and match days is unbelievable.

”There it is, Mr Customer; our company logo, slapped across the upper tier of a major football club’s stadium. Not bad, eh?”

I’ve met him twice and I know how proud he is of that, so I can just imagine how angry he’d be and how quickly he’d instruct his lawyers to take action, should his sponsorship be in speedway and his potential customer have gone ”the star player isn’t wearing it, though”.

I think you have made the point ,IMO they should have deducted 20 points and allowed  the fans to see probable the greatest rider the sport   has ever seen  as we know their careers can be over in the blink of an eye !

Edited by FAST GATER

looks like they are better at writing contracts than promoting what they do, i hadn't a clue what they do!

• Like 1

this is probably another reason why you dont get any characters in speedway anymore, they must feel like they are back at school. Bart you forgot your kit, stay behind after class.:rofl:

39 minutes ago, TheWellBehavedWorrall said:

There isn’t a ‘Head of Race Suits’ hanging around,

Yet there is someone hanging around examining all other aspects of machinery and equipment, ensuring their compliance, so they probably need to add this to their checklist

2 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

If next years gp’s get the”fresh” riders some posters on hear want because “it’s the same ones year by year” THEN you would see the weakest gp field ever for a whole gp year.

Next year I would have in the current top 10 plus the SEC winner (possibly) Michelson as it stands, plus the 3 from GP challenge.  The GP challenge May put Jan Kvech into next year GP…. that’s how the rules go, but IMO he is not GP quality….yet.

We don't know that though do we? It's such a closed shop that those that are "in" don't have to compete against others around the world. 

First of all imo there's no way the SEC winner should get a spot just by the virtue that they're European. It's purely a commercial decision to allow this.

Too many riders have been relying on wild card picks for too long. Maybe a limit on the number of wild cards any single rider can receive maybe in order?

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

Statement in English:

“This wasn't how last night was supposed to end. Even after hours have passed, I'm still shocked and bloody angry at what happened. 

“As you probably well know, I was disqualified from yesterday's Grand Prix in Vojens due to the mistakenly worn Kevlar I wore during qualifying. 

“This first unimaginable mistake in my life was that I wore my individual Kevlar which did not have the logo of the Championship Sponsor. 

“Several dozen minutes before the start of training, I took part in marketing campaigns, which ended shortly before qualifying.

“Returning to the bus, I instinctively took Kevlar, which turned out to be the wrong one. Despite my mistake, I was allowed to practice by the competition referee. 

“No one reported any problems before, during or after qualifying (which of course doesn't excuse me). I had the proper kevlar ready for the competition. 

“I was informed about the decision of the jury chairman shortly before the competition, and unfortunately the appeal did not bring any results - I was ultimately not allowed to take part in the competition. 

“I am speechless because, as I said, such an inexplicable mistake happened to our Team for the first time in their lives. 

“I can assure you that we will make every effort to ensure that this never happens again. 

“Therefore, now I would like to sincerely apologize to all Sponsors, thousands of Fans who came to Denmark and those whom I let down.”

To be fair it was a shambles from start to finish

Zmarzliks disqualification was the first but then we had commentators who clearly didn’t know the rules (not for the first time) a complete failure to provide heat results and then the complete farce of Basso being awarded second then third and back to second again.

But the main gripe was the track which was as slick as a baby’s bum (not for the first time at Vojens) which was clearly overwatered at times and offered very little overtaking opportunities although managing to actually stay on the bike was apparently challenging towards the end of the meeting.

I have never been to Vojens and to be fair it’s never been high on my bucket list but really the speedway there is bloody awful and one wonders why it was packed last night because it’s pretty much the same every time.

• Like 3