British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
highside

NDL

A mixture of both which is exactly what you’re after. Experienced guys who are there to assist the next generation.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

A mixture of both which is exactly what you’re after. Experienced guys who are there to assist the next generation.

There is more and more very experienced riders riding in it now ,go back to the way it was a few year ago when each team was allowed 1old hand not like now where we have 3or 4 old hands and a couple of kids .

7 minutes ago, highside said:

There is more and more very experienced riders riding in it now ,go back to the way it was a few year ago when each team was allowed 1old hand not like now where we have 3or 4 old hands and a couple of kids .

Are there enough riders of the right calibre to fill all the NDL sides, or are you happy watching kids crashing out before they've learned how to turn a bike?

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, highside said:

Is this a development league or old timers league 

The youngsters have to have somebody to ride against.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

The youngsters have to have somebody to ride against.

Exactly, I do think ppl get hung up on the name development they should really drop that and go bk to national league which it really is.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mc131 said:

Exactly, I do think ppl get hung up on the name development they should really drop that and go bk to national league which it really is.

That is so wrong on so many levels.

21 hours ago, mc131 said:

Take away the word development and it becomes a pro league with clubs allowed to sign non commonwealth overseas riders and the 15 year old would have to go back to junior racing. I think we will keep the word development. 

1 hour ago, Petecc said:

Take away the word development and it becomes a pro league with clubs allowed to sign non commonwealth overseas riders and the 15 year old would have to go back to junior racing. I think we will keep the word development. 

No they won't if they are good enough they will be used ie Boughen, Harrison,Perry, Pijper(last season) a competitive league is always better than riders that aren't near league standard.

A lot of emphasis is placed on the word development in the title when maybe more could be done to encourage it. 

I'm pretty sure it's illegal to discriminate against age these days, I mean if 50+ year old can still go for apprenticeships, why can't 30+ year olds still develop in Speedway?

• Like 1

I don't think experienced riders racing in the league stops the development of riders at all. The most promising, Boughen / James / Harrison / Killeen will always get team spots.

But who is next to step up if older/experienced riders were banned? Now nothing against the following riders who could one day make it but currently the likes of William Richardson, Jacob Fellows, Mark Parker & Kai Ward have shown it's quite a step up even from the junior leagues to the NDL. Would the riders below these guys really be ready for the NL? Plus how much would Boughen, Harrison, Scott, Perry, James etc improve without being able to test themselves against Morley, Complin, Bowtell, Clegg et al.

Take Luke Harrison for example if he's managed to be competitive against Dan T, Jenkins, Bailey and the riders I mentioned above - then it's time to test himself in the Championship, like he's doing for Redcar. If he only raced against fellow new starts, how would he know if he's ready to step up?

• Like 7

6 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

I don't think experienced riders racing in the league stops the development of riders at all. The most promising, Boughen / James / Harrison / Killeen will always get team spots.

But who is next to step up if older/experienced riders were banned? Now nothing against the following riders who could one day make it but currently the likes of William Richardson, Jacob Fellows, Mark Parker & Kai Ward have shown it's quite a step up even from the junior leagues to the NDL. Would the riders below these guys really be ready for the NL? Plus how much would Boughen, Harrison, Scott, Perry, James etc improve without being able to test themselves against Morley, Complin, Bowtell, Clegg et al.

Take Luke Harrison for example if he's managed to be competitive against Dan T, Jenkins, Bailey and the riders I mentioned above - then it's time to test himself in the Championship, like he's doing for Redcar. If he only raced against fellow new starts, how would he know if he's ready to step up?

The other big problem is if you kicked out the likes of Luke Crang, Rhys Naylor, Dayle Wood, Luke Muff etc then replaced them with the riders you mention some clubs would no longer continue in the NDL, leaving even fewer opportunities for the remaining riders.

Would think a bigger concern is the existence of the league next season rather than what its called. Entirely feasible that Edinburgh and Leicester won't be at the tapes, Kent have every right to think nuts to this and Mildenhall had to have a fair whip round at the start of the year to get running. This league hasn't been particularly well received at Berwick either (not helped by the crazy double header prices). 

The mass uncertainty of the higher leagues (the higher leagues that are incidentally riddled with much older riders)  which could equally only have enough to form one league leaves the whole sport in a much bigger predicament than whether a D is necessary or not. 

• Like 1

On 7/31/2023 at 2:58 PM, Sings4Speedway said:

Would think a bigger concern is the existence of the league next season rather than what its called. Entirely feasible that Edinburgh and Leicester won't be at the tapes, Kent have every right to think nuts to this and Mildenhall had to have a fair whip round at the start of the year to get running. This league hasn't been particularly well received at Berwick either (not helped by the crazy double header prices). 

The mass uncertainty of the higher leagues (the higher leagues that are incidentally riddled with much older riders)  which could equally only have enough to form one league leaves the whole sport in a much bigger predicament than whether a D is necessary or not. 

Kent are asking for donations to get to the end  of this season. Can't see them being around in 2024. Hope I'm wrong.