British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rocket007

WORKINGTON COMETS V KENT ROYALS 12/8/23

With Speedway and Football both on in the town on the same day starting at 3pm, would it not been possible to say start Speedway at 2pm with the Football at 4pm. With neither clubs getting massive support, surely they are both vying for the same people. A lot of folk (and neutrals) could well of done both. 

1 hour ago, rocket007 said:

With Speedway and Football both on in the town on the same day starting at 3pm, would it not been possible to say start Speedway at 2pm with the Football at 4pm. With neither clubs getting massive support, surely they are both vying for the same people. A lot of folk (and neutrals) could well of done both. 

Not a chance the football will be moved..it'll be up to the speedway wether they want to go up against the reds. I believe its the same on the 26th for the Belle Vue meeting too. 

The Reds have been enjoying bumper crowds of late and are definitely on the crest of a wave following their promotion last season when they averaged nearly 800 a game for 8th Tier football. The recent pre-season friendly against Carlisle United attracted over 1500 fans in atrocious weather and I would expect their opening 23/24 NPL fixture will see a 1,000 plus crowd.

With Comets choosing to run at the traditional 3pm kick off time for the Reds I think they will see a noticeable drop in their attendance. They will have the same problem when they go head to head with the Reds next Saturday fixture on August 26th.

Start the Speedway at either 12 or 6 and do a joint ticket offer with the football club.

Easier for Speedway to change the start time, even though the opposition have a long trek to get there.

Remember football has a well organised structure and book of laws of the game, whereas Speedway has a rulebook the size of the Hong Kong yellowpages where every rule is open to interpretation.

• Haha 1

Kent will be used to early starts, home meetings start at 12.00, 

My point was that with Football getting about 800 or so, and Speedway getting on average 800+ or so, 50% of those people probably go to both. I can't see why either one would want to go in direct competition with each other. Both could of been changed one way or another, but it seems strange that they didn't want to.

13 minutes ago, rocket007 said:

My point was that with Football getting about 800 or so, and Speedway getting on average 800+ or so, 50% of those people probably go to both. I can't see why either one would want to go in direct competition with each other. Both could of been changed one way or another, but it seems strange that they didn't want to.

It would be very likely only be around 5% (40-50) people who would go to both to be honest, Reds may well get 1000 with it being the first game back in a higher league. But take away the Macclesfield and 2 Play Off attendances and the average gate would be around 600 people.

I wouldn't say they'll be much impact at all, with Kent not being the most attractive oppostion and likely no away fans, it would never be the largest gate of the season anyways.

A decent crowd against BV Colts on bank holiday weekend and a bumper gate for the NL riders championship will see off a very sucessful comeback season off the track.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Marksman said:

It would be very likely only be around 5% (40-50) people who would go to both to be honest, Reds may well get 1000 with it being the first game back in a higher league. But take away the Macclesfield and 2 Play Off attendances and the average gate would be around 600 people.

I wouldn't say they'll be much impact at all, with Kent not being the most attractive oppostion and likely no away fans, it would never be the largest gate of the season anyways.

A decent crowd against BV Colts on bank holiday weekend and a bumper gate for the NL riders championship will see off a very sucessful comeback season off the track.

This post is pretty much on the money. I support the Reds, the clashes are unfortunate but we will be at the speedway. Plenty of opportunity to see the Reds during the upcoming season. UTC !

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Marksman said:

Kent have a very loyal band of away fans that follow the team crazy distance even when they are doing poorly. 

Guest and RR placement will depend if Kent have any hopes of getting anything from the meeting. 

5 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Kent have a very loyal band of away fans that follow the team crazy distance even when they are doing poorly

So do the comets mini bus of fans on way to Kent after Leicester meeting called off tonight, heard they are going via some cow show to fill in the time on the way :D:D

Speedway GP from Latvia is also starting at 3pm UK time on Saturday, another unfortunate clash.

4 hours ago, Marksman said:

Speedway GP from Latvia is also starting at 3pm UK time on Saturday, another unfortunate clash.

I think it starts at 5pm?

19 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

Not on Eurosport though.:blink:

Live on disco + still trying to find out if/when eurosport are showing a as live or repeat coverage