British Speedway Forum
Cast1rn

Plymouth Vs Berwick 8/8/23 live BSN

Agree regarding referees having some form of track knowledge . As it stands, they are far too influenced by certain riders and bow down to them. Especially riders who are well passed their sell by date and hanging round for a few final paydays.

• Like 1

Greg Blair and BSN have totally condemned  the Plymouth management with totally inaccurate information.  To suggest that Mark Phillips only turned up at 1800 hours to start work on the track is completely wrong. Mark had obviously done a lot of work on the track earlier and then left the track to dry out naturally when the rain stopped about mid day.  Do you know that if you put pressure by tyre packing or similar on a track that has much water held in its lower layers then you are in danger of the track becoming thixotropic and resulting in a mushy mess. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and I am sure that Mark may well have played things differently had he known the outcome.

Mark is one of the most hardworking promoters in the U.K. He has put a vast amount of his money on developing and meetings speedway going in Plymouth. 

If SPN wants to see the end of speedway in Plymouth then  keep up your rant over the Plymouth Management and in particular Mark Phillips. We are in great danger of losing many tracks this winter, for example Wolverhampton, Peterborough, Birmingham, Edinburgh. What difference would the addition of Plymouth make to this list.?

I thought that BSN was there to promote speedway not hasten its demise!

• Haha 2

If that’s the case and you seem to have a lot more knowledge than many of us and I have no reason to disbelieve what your saying mark needs to go public with what went on himself and look in to the comments Greg Blair made live on peoples tv to see if there defamatory remember though bsn said they were there since noon and saw nothing happening.it’s done now I’m still peed off about it because it’s a night I get out with my son and I love my club and speedway and I don’t like us being a laughing stock for others.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, firstbend said:

Greg Blair and BSN have totally condemned  the Plymouth management with totally inaccurate information.  To suggest that Mark Phillips only turned up at 1800 hours to start work on the track is completely wrong. Mark had obviously done a lot of work on the track earlier and then left the track to dry out naturally when the rain stopped about mid day.  Do you know that if you put pressure by tyre packing or similar on a track that has much water held in its lower layers then you are in danger of the track becoming thixotropic and resulting in a mushy mess. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and I am sure that Mark may well have played things differently had he known the outcome.

Mark is one of the most hardworking promoters in the U.K. He has put a vast amount of his money on developing and meetings speedway going in Plymouth. 

If SPN wants to see the end of speedway in Plymouth then  keep up your rant over the Plymouth Management and in particular Mark Phillips. We are in great danger of losing many tracks this winter, for example Wolverhampton, Peterborough, Birmingham, Edinburgh. What difference would the addition of Plymouth make to this list.?

You need too get down and tell Mark how to prepare the track with your expert scientific knowledge.

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

You need too get down and tell Mark how to prepare the track with your expert scientific knowledge.

No, I do not know what Mark should have done, but I do know what could have made it worse!

12 minutes ago, firstbend said:

No, I do not know what Mark should have done, but I do know what could have made it worse!

oh dear, stop burying your head in the sand and open your eyes as to what is wrong with the Plymouth promotion 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, firstbend said:

You cant polish a turd, I`d have more respect for the Plymouth promotion if they just come out and admitted they got it wrong.

• Like 2

Greg’s opinion is unlikely to be accepted as defamation, unless it can be proved he didn’t believe what he was saying. 

9 minutes ago, Noelinho said:

Greg’s opinion is unlikely to be accepted as defamation, unless it can be proved he didn’t believe what he was saying. 

Indeed, defamation is a very high bar to reach, any journalist/ reporter would just use a 'fair comment' defence.

47 minutes ago, screm said:

You cant polish a turd, I`d have more respect for the Plymouth promotion if they just come out and admitted they got it wrong.

They are taking a long time in deciding to say they made a cock up of it.

• Like 2

The wall of silence is not a good look  from the club.

Edited by Mike0310
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, firstbend said:

Never in my speedwaying life have I heard the phrase "thixotropic", with a now 23 year engineering background, every day appears to be a school day.

On the "why's everyone complaining about it" 

People have paid a lot of money to get to the Speedway, spent a lot on accomodation food etc, paid to get in and sit there until 1945 (45 mins after tapes were scheduled to go up) and then had their evenings ruined.

BSN have paid good money to get set up, sold streams, got the commentators in place, only to have to refund all the streams. How much money did they lose last night?

If you go to a restaurant that's rubbish do you leave a good review, if you go to a theme park that's dog poop do you tell all your friends it was great?? No you don't you tell people the truth.

Does any single person on here want Plymouth to close for 2024?? Of course they don't, but if you want to come to the party you have to BYOB and at the moment from the outside it looks like Plymouth have turned up with a plastic bag with some Tesco's value larger and a bag of everyday value mixed crisps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If 2 ref's declared the track fit to race but then some of the away team refused to ride, it is most unfair to blame the promotion. There has just been a report on the local news which were at the track last night, they clearly reported it was a few of the Berwick team which did not want to ride. Mark has done a great job since he took over and he certainly doesn't deserve all the nasty comments that have been made. All the calls he's made in the last few week's have been the right ones saving not only himself unnecessary costs but travelling rider's and supporters also. I am very grateful that thanks to Mark we have speedway in Plymouth, long may it last.

16 hours ago, Pinny said:

Agree regarding referees having some form of track knowledge . As it stands, they are far too influenced by certain riders and bow down to them. Especially riders who are well passed their sell by date and hanging round for a few final paydays.

Referees know which riders are going to difficult.

Ultimately it's only the captains they will listen to. If you have a young captain like Leon they will have had immense pressure from certain elder riders.