British Speedway Forum
Mick Bratley

Peterborough Speedway - petition

I will more than happy to sign up considering the historical connection between Peterborough and Oxford Speedways (Danny Dunton).

• Like 1

I put on the AEPG Peterborough Facebook the following:

Could AEPG answer the following question please, " have AEPG discussed or agreed with Mr Keith Chapman to not support the Peterborough Speedway to run at the EoES for season 2024 in return for compensation / the purchase of the Speedway Club”

Not had a response but not surprised by that.  

• Like 2

I’ve signed and so has my family, but sharing never seems to get my signature recognised on change org.

• Like 2

Signed.

Enjoyed a number of meetings over the years. I would be gutted if the EoES went the same way  as Brandon and others.

• Like 1

Now, I know this has only been running for a few days but this petition is only at 670 at the moment and that quite frankly is pathetic! Wolves was up in the thousands after a similar amount of time. Maybe because Wolves came as such a shock and Peterborough has been a bit of a slow burner for a few years.

Coventry raised their £20k in a matter of days

Maybe there's just no appetite for Speedway in Peterborough?

Why has there been no outcry about the loss of Peterborough Speedway? Nothing on their website, nothing on the BSPL website, Godfrey gone missing (again!)... what's going on?

Edited by iainb
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, iainb said:

Now, I know this has only been running for a few days but this petition is only at 670 at the moment and that quite frankly is pathetic! Wolves was up in the thousands after a similar amount of time. Maybe because Wolves came as such a shock and Peterborough has been a bit of a slow burner for a few years.

Why has there been no outcry about the loss of Peterborough Speedway? Nothing on their website, nothing on the BSPL website, Godfrey gone missing (again!)... what's going on?

Not a surprise as Godfrey like Chapman is a complete waste of time, he could not run a drinking competition in a brewery. He’s only interested in his poxy Scunny club. Once again it’s proved that speedway is run by utter idiots who clearly could not care less about the disastrous way things are going. I give up! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, iainb said:

The local Peterborough Telegraph, as usual, hardly bothers to put anything about speedway. All they are interested in is the football club. Panthers couldn't even get on the front page on the day the story broke. Instead it was all about a drunken ex player (granted what he did was absolutely terrible) but there wasn't even a small sub heading.

You could only read about Panthers dire situation if you went through ten pages of Peterborough United first

And that has been par for the course since Panthers inception. Always an afterthought in the Telegraph. Even Thornton today (one of the so-called news and sport editors) admitted that he had never been to Alwalton. Says it all

I wonder what will happen if Peterborough Utd go into administration.  The staff at the Telegraph will be running about like scalded cats

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, crazyb said:

The local Peterborough Telegraph, as usual, hardly bothers to put anything about speedway. All they are interested in is the football club. Panthers couldn't even get on the front page on the day the story broke. Instead it was all about a drunken ex player (granted what he did was absolutely terrible) but there wasn't even a small sub heading.

You could only read about Panthers dire situation if you went through ten pages of Peterborough United first

And that has been par for the course since Panthers inception. Always an afterthought in the Telegraph. Even Thornton today (one of the so-called news and sport editors) admitted that he had never been to Alwalton. Says it all

I wonder what will happen if Peterborough Utd go into administration.  The staff at the Telegraph will be running about like scalded cats

Didn't the Telegraph used to sponsor the Panthers?

34 minutes ago, iainb said:

Didn't the Telegraph used to sponsor the Panthers?

Yes, but even then it was always football first. But that is the same all over with speedway picking up what little scraps from the media they can.

4 minutes ago, crazyb said:

Yes, but even then it was always football first. But that is the same all over with speedway picking up what little scraps from the media they can.

Nobody buys newspapers anymore though do they? Especially the younger folk. According to wiki their circulation is only 4,500. Probably get a greater reach through local radio I would have thought

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Nobody buys newspapers anymore though do they? Especially the younger folk. According to wiki their circulation is only 4,500. Probably get a greater reach through local radio I would have thought

I haven't bought a newspaper in years especially when many of the editorials are politically biased.

• Like 1

If more people were interested then the media would move the speedway stories to the forefront, as it stands it is a speedway problem, not a media problem. 

40 minutes ago, therefused said:

If more people were interested then the media would move the speedway stories to the forefront, as it stands it is a speedway problem, not a media problem. 

I think that the media generally has never really treated speedway seriously (most noticeably the domestic version) Even back during the last "Golden Era" during the seventies when England ruled the sport got scant attention other than the sadly missed "World of Sport". I used to collect any  speedway related newspaper cuttings at the time and it never really amounted to much although the "Oxford Mail" did cover the sport locally admirally.

Edited by steve roberts

What’s interesting is that so many topics end up being diluted from the original purpose to another episode of Down memory lane