British Speedway Forum
steve roberts

One Club Foreign Riders?

If he qualifies - also rode in division one for three teams in a few meetings - how about Robbie Blackadder of Newcastle?

2 hours ago, Tracy Bird said:

Bob spelta Canterbury 1974-78

Sorry, Bob doesn't qualify; he also rode for Exeter.

1 hour ago, JoeW said:

If he qualifies - also rode in division one for three teams in a few meetings - how about Robbie Blackadder of Newcastle?

He doesn't qualify because of several outings for Hull.

Although his time riding in England came during the Elite League/Premier League era, surely Freddie Lindgren takes first prize for the foreign rider who spent the longest time at just one club? 

Freddie spent 14 years at Wolves, 2003-2013 and then again 2015-2017, and only ever rode for Wolves in England. 

I can't think of another one club foreign rider who comes close to Freddie's loyalty to Wolves. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, JoeW said:

I was thinking Robbie Blackadder...of course some riders used to "double-up" with their sister club.

7 hours ago, Stephen Doughty said:

Although his time riding in England came during the Elite League/Premier League era, surely Freddie Lindgren takes first prize for the foreign rider who spent the longest time at just one club? 

Freddie spent 14 years at Wolves, 2003-2013 and then again 2015-2017, and only ever rode for Wolves in England. 

I can't think of another one club foreign rider who comes close to Freddie's loyalty to Wolves. 

Good call!

8 hours ago, Stephen Doughty said:

I was about to add Ronnie Moore who had 18 seasons at Wimbledon but it seems that he also rode for Coventry in 1974, something that I was hitherto unaware of. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Sotonian said:

I was about to add Ronnie Moore who had 18 seasons at Wimbledon but it seems that he also rode for Coventry in 1974, something that I was hitherto unaware of. 

Yeah, that is still something that people argue about. Even though it was a very temporary stint, it should actually disqualify him as a "one-club" rider.

10 hours ago, chunky said:

Yeah, that is still something that people argue about.

What do they argue about? He rode for Wimbledon for 18 seasons and then turned out twice for Coventry in 1974.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, norbold said:

What do they argue about? He rode for Wimbledon for 18 seasons and then turned out twice for Coventry in 1974.

I have often heard arguments in the pub about this one. Usually people who confuse sportsmen with the same name, saying 'don't be ridiculous Ronnie was too busy with his career at Tranmere to do speedway as well :D

Edited by iris123
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, norbold said:

People say that those two matches "don't count", and that he was a one-club rider...

54 minutes ago, chunky said:

People say that those two matches "don't count", and that he was a one-club rider...

Well, people are wrong. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Beirao said:

Rudi Muts for Wimbledon?

Good one...that's a Dutchman "ticked off".