British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, Pinny said:

If Cook is suffering from mental health issues, it is probably time for him to call it a day. Remember him suffering from them before as well.

I am no fan of Cook at all but having suffered some mental health problems myself, I wouldn't wish it upon anyone. I'd imagine being on a speedway bike is the last place he should be.

I couldn’t agree more, but the most important word here is ”if”.

If Craig Cook is indeed suffering from mental health issues right now, which I sincerely hope he isn’t, then why are Edinburgh Monarchs and the SCB releasing statements to the public, staying that he is ”withholding his services” and “refusing to ride”?

Forgive me if I’m being naive, but I seriously doubt Alex Harkess, John Campbell and/or whoever else is in a position of authority at Armadale would throw Craig Cook under the bus in such a manner, had mental health been the issue.

Edinburgh Monarchs’ representatives will have been in regular communication with Craig Cook and following an evaluation of the situation, declared that he’s simply refusing to ride.

Edited by TheWellBehavedWorrall

8 minutes ago, TheWellBehavedWorrall said:

If Craig Cook is indeed suffering from mental health issues right now, which I sincerely hope he isn’t, then why are Edinburgh Monarchs and the SCB releasing statements to the public, staying that he is ”withholding his services” and ”refusing to ride”?

Forgive me if I’m being naive, but I seriously doubt Alex Harkess, John Campbell and/or whoever else is in a position of authority at Armadale would throw Craig Cook under the bus in such a manner, had mental health been the issue.

Edinburgh Monarchs’ representatives will have been in regular communication with Craig Cook and following an evaluation of the situation, declared that he’s simply refusing to ride.

Kind of agree. As well as that, he hasn't helped himself with his social media outbursts and antics over the last few years.

Probably time to retire before he either injures himself or someone else. Just like riders riding under the influence of booze or drugs, riding whilst suffering mental health issues shouldn't be aloud either.

• Like 5

It’s amazing how people can “hide” mental problems and make them appear normal, probably not the right word , Craig Cook has been to Redcar twice in August and done terrible compared to how he usuall goes. Obviously something is wrong when he gets on the track, but if you go onto Redcar Bears YouTube account and watch Boxballen1, it gives a totally different outlook to the person. 

On 9/8/2023 at 9:59 AM, Pinny said:

If Cook is suffering from mental health issues, it is probably time for him to call it a day. Remember him suffering from them before as well.

I am no fan of Cook at all but having suffered some mental health problems myself, I wouldn't wish it upon anyone. I'd imagine being on a speedway bike is the last place he should be.

I'd have to disagree, surely the aim of anyone suffering from mental health, is to either get better or learn to cope (perhaps with medication) with it and get back to normality, doing what you love.

So I really hope this isn't the last we've seen of Cook.

• Like 2

On 9/8/2023 at 11:04 AM, TheWellBehavedWorrall said:

If Craig Cook is indeed suffering from mental health issues right now, which I sincerely hope he isn’t, then why are Edinburgh Monarchs and the SCB releasing statements to the public, staying that he is ”withholding his services” and “refusing to ride”?

Because he is "refusing to ride / withholding his services" whether he's suffering from mental health or not the outcome is the same - he refused to ride, Edinburgh can't force him to (nor would they want to) & can't use a guest without a facility.

Now if Cook didn't feel he could ride because of mental health issues, all he'd need to do is visit a doctor & get signed off (I sincerely hope he would visit a doctor, forget about his team - for his own well being, if he needed to) however this would have allowed Edinburgh a facility & they wouldn't have had to report him for "withholding his services"

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Because he is "refusing to ride / withholding his services" whether he's suffering from mental health or not the outcome is the same - he refused to ride, Edinburgh can't force him to (nor would they want to) & can't use a guest without a facility.

Now if Cook didn't feel he could ride because of mental health issues, all he'd need to do is visit a doctor & get signed off (I sincerely hope he would visit a doctor, forget about his team - for his own well being, if he needed to) however this would have allowed Edinburgh a facility & they wouldn't have had to report him for "withholding his services"

You’ve boldened half of my original sentence, so you’re responding to an out-of-context sentence.

A number of people are suggesting that Cook should not be spoken about due to an apparent risk of mental health issues. You’ll have seen the pleasant references to former riders who died of suicide.

What I’m alluding to is that if Craig Cook was suffering from mental health issues, then the concern should not be directed at those making observations on a forum, but instead Edinburgh and the BSPA who have revealed to the world that he’s refusing to ride.

I doubt that, though. A full assessment of the situation would have been made before distributing that statement. I refuse to believe someone vulnerable would be thrown under the bus and exposed to criticism, if he was indeed suffering from mental health issues.

On 8/28/2023 at 11:52 AM, justathought said:

As far as I can make out, Bike. 

8 hours ago, TheWellBehavedWorrall said:

You’ve boldened half of my original sentence, so you’re responding to an out-of-context sentence.

A number of people are suggesting that Cook should not be spoken about due to an apparent risk of mental health issues. You’ll have seen the pleasant references to former riders who died of suicide.

What I’m alluding to is that if Craig Cook was suffering from mental health issues, then the concern should not be directed at those making observations on a forum, but instead Edinburgh and the BSPA who have revealed to the world that he’s refusing to ride.

I doubt that, though. A full assessment of the situation would have been made before distributing that statement. I refuse to believe someone vulnerable would be thrown under the bus and exposed to criticism, if he was indeed suffering from mental health issues.

It's a professional sport, and if you can't deliver the goods, you're out, harsh but no sentiment in pro sport.

26 minutes ago, Lord Skid said:

It's a professional sport, and if you can't deliver the goods, you're out, harsh but no sentiment in pro sport.

I appreciate the first part of your comment, but I’m not sure I agree with the last part.

If Craig Cook told Edinburgh, or even if Edinburgh as much as suspected, that he was suffering from mental health issues, I don’t think Alex Harkess and those in charge at Armadale or the BSPA would release a statement to the public which stated that he was refusing to ride.

We’ll never know, but in my opinion, all parties acts - Cook at the CLRC and Leicester, the BSPA’s statement, etc. - point towards gross misconduct from the rider.

On 9/8/2023 at 10:04 AM, iainb said:

It seems to me that if mental health is to be treated in the same way as physical health then a 30 day ban for withholding services was not the way to go about things. If Cook is not riding because of mental health that is. If he was returning after a broken leg and kept pulling out of meetings because he wasn't fit I think the reaction would probably be the same, in that he shouldn't be back in the team until he's fit. I remember Lee Richardson getting quite a bit of stick when he first signed for Coventry because he had some kidney problem or something and kept declaring himself "fit" for meetings and then kept pulling out mid way through the meeting. Unfortunately in sport it's not like phoning into work and saying you're not going to be in today but you're letting your team mates and fans down if you're not able to complete the meeting. Maybe Cook feels obligated to turn out because of the team ethic in sport or that a facility may not be granted if he doesn't turn out, I don't know and as I've said before I don't really care, it's none of my business, obviously I wish him the best and a speedy recovery but what is my business is when I've paid my money for something and am not getting value for that money.

It's funny the different reactions to riders... Batchelor got absolutely slaughtered for not trying during the recent pairs meeting, I have seen exactly the same kind of attitude from Cook for Leicester, granted he wasn't pulling wheelies at the back but he was clearly not trying and pulling out of moves and pulling up at the back. Batch clearly didn't fancy the track and was obviously in fear of his safety

That track that TB feared for his safety on, according to you, was the same one Bomber set a new track record on.

15 minutes ago, Triple.H. said:

That track that TB feared for his safety on, according to you, was the same one Bomber set a new track record on.

Proves it's a mental game and if your head isn't right you shouldn't be there

• Like 3

With Comets confirmed in the CL in 2024 will Cookie return to Workington?

1 hour ago, Endeavour said:

They should be looking for someone who’ll commit them for the whole season, not 1/2 of it so they end up with Guests/RR 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4BM said:

They should be looking for someone who’ll commit them for the whole season, not 1/2 of it so they end up with Guests/RR 

I've seen this comment many times & I'm not sure why? Cook was having a fantastic season, had upped his average and was out performing Pickering, until the incident against Poole, which I can only assume affected him badly. It's not like he never finishes a season, I'm sure it's the first time he's not finished a season (unless injured).

Even so, teams use guests all the time, don't understand how that could be considered as negative :rofl:

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Endeavour said:

For me, it’s a no. He’s obviously going through some stuff and what not, and yeah, wasnt doing too bad until the Poole incident. 

As much as I’d love to see local lads in the team, promotion announced at the NDLRC yesterday that they want to be fighting for titles. Heard it on the grapevine that Steve and Richard and back on civil terms and I would have Lawson over cook any day of the week. Guaranteed at least 9 points every meeting and he would make the N.A a fortress just like Connor has done this season.

2 hours ago, CTD26 said:

For me, it’s a no. He’s obviously going through some stuff and what not, and yeah, wasnt doing too bad until the Poole incident. 

As much as I’d love to see local lads in the team, promotion announced at the NDLRC yesterday that they want to be fighting for titles. Heard it on the grapevine that Steve and Richard and back on civil terms and I would have Lawson over cook any day of the week. Guaranteed at least 9 points every meeting and he would make the N.A a fortress just like Connor has done this season.

Lawson would put 30 mims on a meeting with his antics on the start line!