British Speedway Forum

Happy New Year all.  New member here.

I've often benefitted from and really appreciated the great advice on here relating to GP venues and on getting tickets, particularly for the SWC in Wroclaw last year, so I've finally joined the forum.  Having been to a good few places now, I hope I can also provide some help to others in future if needed.

I'm looking to go to the German GP in Landshut in May as part of an Interrail trip, after also taking in the Warsaw GP the previous Saturday and I'm wondering if anyone has any useful information about the town, venue and ticket allocation etc?  I've booked some accommodation in Landshut and wondered if tickets would be bought from the Landshut club or likely to be easily obtained through a link on the FIM website when they are available.  If anyone recommends setting up an account with the club in advance I'd appreciate the advice.  I recently got a ticket for the Riga GP in September very easily from the FIM website link, so hopefully this will be just as straightforward.

As the GP dates approach it would be good to hear from anyone on here also going to Warsaw, Landshut and Riga this year.  I met some great people in Wroclaw from Australia, Sweden, Glasgow, Edinburgh and also from back home in Norfolk, mostly just by chance in local bars.  It would be great to meet more in future.  Cheers. Patrick

• Like 1

On 1/1/2024 at 1:29 PM, Gilo1969 said:

Happy New Year all.  New member here.

I've often benefitted from and really appreciated the great advice on here relating to GP venues and on getting tickets, particularly for the SWC in Wroclaw last year, so I've finally joined the forum.  Having been to a good few places now, I hope I can also provide some help to others in future if needed.

I'm looking to go to the German GP in Landshut in May as part of an Interrail trip, after also taking in the Warsaw GP the previous Saturday and I'm wondering if anyone has any useful information about the town, venue and ticket allocation etc?  I've booked some accommodation in Landshut and wondered if tickets would be bought from the Landshut club or likely to be easily obtained through a link on the FIM website when they are available.  If anyone recommends setting up an account with the club in advance I'd appreciate the advice.  I recently got a ticket for the Riga GP in September very easily from the FIM website link, so hopefully this will be just as straightforward.

As the GP dates approach it would be good to hear from anyone on here also going to Warsaw, Landshut and Riga this year.  I met some great people in Wroclaw from Australia, Sweden, Glasgow, Edinburgh and also from back home in Norfolk, mostly just by chance in local bars.  It would be great to meet more in future.  Cheers. Patrick

Welcome !

Have a look on the AC Landshut facebook page for a post on December 11th- everything you need to know is there.

23 hours ago, racers and royals said:

Welcome !

Have a look on the AC Landshut facebook page for a post on December 11th- everything you need to know is there.

That's great, thank you.  

On 12/21/2023 at 6:07 PM, racers and royals said:

Wroclaw GP tickets went on sale today.

I haven't been to a foreign GP before and am looking to book tickets for Wroclaw, really struggling with the tickets page, it won't accept postcode or passport number, any advice?

2 hours ago, R-d-f said:

I haven't been to a foreign GP before and am looking to book tickets for Wroclaw, really struggling with the tickets page, it won't accept postcode or passport number, any advice?

I have bought many tickets via the Wroclaw website. All I needed to do to register was to say I was from Great Britain, then put in my passport number and no postcode.

If you are really struggling I can buy tickets for you - I've done this for several Brits. Feel free to PM me.  If you don't trust that route, the next thing to do is to email the club and they will advise you. The email address is sekretariat@wts.pl

Edited by stewmac
  • Like 1

Landshut sold already 3000 tickets in the first 3 hours.

At least that

But this touches upon a topic that was discussed on the darts thread

Speedway isn't about sprints. Never was. And this is the problem with many sports that the ruling body for whatever reason start introducing rulings fiddling with things that change the nature of the sport altogether. Will we get points for best style ? Best looking outfit ? Or point reduction for a certain number of failures to complete a race ?

One other point in yesterday’s press release is that apart from Warsaw and Cardiff( held the day before) practice/qualifying on the afternoon of the GP now will start and finish 2 hours later than before- this i believe will cause major problems for the track maintenance teams in having to prepare a raceable track in 3 hours after an hours pounding in practice. I can see far more ruts appearing during the meetings than previously.

Edited by racers and royals
  • Like 2

On 1/26/2024 at 8:30 PM, iris123 said:

Speedway isn't about sprints. Never was. 

Well, it actually always was about sprints - namely a given number of very short races that form a meeting. :D 

What it's never been about is endurance races (apart from occasional 16-lap gimmicks) or timed qualifying. 

14 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Well, it actually always was about sprints - namely a given number of very short races that form a meeting. :D 

What it's never been about is endurance races (apart from occasional 16-lap gimmicks) or timed qualifying. 

Now, a 16 lapper after qualifying with the top 8 sounds like something interesting and different, unlike what they have proposed :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Just jumped to the conclusion that when they announced these new sprints, they would of course be something different. I never in my life thought it was just the same old 4 laps under a new name. I was thinking more of the one lap dash/flying lap that they used to have as a filler. Although quite by coincdence i think the only few i saw were at Stralsund and a certain Mr Morris was the fastest :D

Ivan Mauger breaking the 1km flying lap

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=734870230870249

Edited by iris123