British Speedway Forum
iainb

Drugs - Just Say No!

with all forms of adrenaline sports you are going to have the ones who use drugs

i dont agree with drugs full stop 

but the drug rules are not as they should some minor drugs are treated a lot harder than some others cocaine is high on my list of the route cause of a lot of issues in modern world but is becoming seen as a thing to do by most 

horrible thing is cocaine seen so many lives ruined by it

11 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Good ones there. If he wasn't going through such a tough time atm Craig Cook did cause a rider to be flipped onto dog track before. But I feel bad for him atm, so we'll leave him off ;)

You’re a kinder soul than me, Lisa. When I’ve forked-out £14.99 to watch the CLRC, no-ones safe. Not even Craig Cook.

• Like 1

You would think after last nights “ non negative” tests last night that the SCB,ACU,BSPL  would arrange for a mandatory drug test at all meetings in the near future. All riders programmed to ride to be tested, and any who “ break down, have a bad back” etc on the same day must do a test at the earliest opportunity. This has got to be rooted out sooner rather than later. 
Maybe when licences are applied for next year a mandatory drug test to be taken before licence is issued. Just a thought 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Debbi said:

You are very wrong in thinking it is the more elite riders that are the only ones to gain. Think about it the more you can score (points that is) the more money you get, you may not do it every meeting trying not to draw to much attention but how many riders have you seen over the years who have been riding badly then have a maximum the next week.

Personally I think it'd be far easier to make quick gains by mechanically cheating before pumping yourself full of performance enhancers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheWellBehavedWorrall said:

Nothing, I’m in agreement with you. I’ve never heard anyone leave a speedway meeting, saying ”he was on drugs” either. Don’t get me wrong, every time I watch a live meeting from Wolverhampton, I wish I was on drugs, but I get what you’re saying. Safety’s overrated.

Post-meeting drug testing at the mascots, sorry referee’s discretion would add to the excitement, anyway. Helmets would stop you seeing whose eyes are bloodshot and whose jaw is swinging, so the old Cluedo skills would have to be refined.

”Alan, is it just me, or is he riding erratically? He’s either excited or high”.

Having said that, I’m not sure Charles Wright would appreciate being accused of taking drugs every week.

You can have a like for that last sentence :D

48 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Or Vissing..

Although I don't know why I'm laughing at this, I've got to put up with him in my team for the remainder of this season :(

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Technik said:

The drug testing company used turn up in the pits only about an hour prior to the start time & only the Referee will be told to expect them. As the rules state that all riders need to be at the track at least an hour before they should not be missing. I'm not saying it has not happened in the past but the testers learn quickly. There can be no excuse for taking any type of drug, the selected riders are asked before any testing is done have they taken any drugs at all & even headache & flu medication would be suggested.

I know a rider once failed an alcohol test after using mouthwash. It was a minimal reading & the tester offered him time &suggested he rinse with cold water then the second test was a zero reading.

Happened at Oxford last year where a rider arrived with less than 20 mins, yet had been in Oxford and at a pub in the afternoon and couldn’t say they didn’t know where the stadium was as they rode here.

3 hours ago, iainb said:

Personally I think it'd be far easier to make quick gains by mechanically cheating before pumping yourself full of performance enhancers

That doesn’t lower your inhibition’s though, one of the reasons for using cocaine for example (and going on what other rider have said) is that it gives you a false sense of confidence which means you go for gaps that any other rider would not dream of taking.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Debbi said:

That doesn’t lower your inhibition’s though, one of the reasons for using cocaine for example (and going on what other rider have said) is that it gives you a false sense of confidence which means you go for gaps that any other rider would not dream of taking.

That is correct:t:

16 minutes ago, Debbi said:

So that's using "recreational" drugs as a performance enhancer, like taking a bravery pill... I suppose if you're daft enough to cheat anything is possible

Edited by iainb

There won't be mandatory testing of every rider at every meeting without a contract with an independent testing agent that would cost far in excess of what would be affordable for the sport

Matchroom are currently considering introducing this for all of their fighters using VARDA, the rumours suggest a cost north of 20k per fight although this is bloods not just urine.

Does anyone know who carries out the speedway testing currently?

2 hours ago, Debbi said:

zmarzlic needs testing then

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

The word drug indicates recreational substance. A lot of riders will take dietary supplements for extra edge in the gym as fitness is paramount now with elite sportsmen. Most are illegal but will be taken pre season when working out. 
Also enhancements for faster recovery from injury can go unnoticed as rider will stop before racing again. 
Alcohol wise back in the 90’s I was involved with a team on a northern tour. They got smashed literally in a match then back at the hotel after. Word got out on the  next match of the exploits of the monumental night before and word reached that all the riders would be alcohol tested. meaning I had to frantically run to shops to get as many boiled sweets as I could as it affected alcohol test. They wasn’t drunk at time of riding obviously They all passed the alcohol test due to the boiled sweets. But did get soundly beaten though. !!! 
More recent was Swedish snuff contained stimulant that was deemed harmless but never really showed in tests , so was very popular.

There will always be riders that will chance if needed not just speedway but any professional sport. 

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, iainb said:

This, 100%.

For the avoidance of coming across as a know-it-all, I didn’t remain in the field post-graduation, so I’m not an expert, but I studied Sport & Exercise Science at university and one of the modules was around performance enhancers.

Speedway isn’t even close to fitting the profile for this topic and for so many reasons.

This sport is arguably 50% mechanical and 50% physical, so it’s a significant financial risk to invest in performance enhancers, only for your chain to snap on the first lap. Even then, being stronger or having more stamina through artificial gains is irrelevant if the rider to your left is simply on a quicker bike.

@iainb is highly likely spot on; cheating mechanically is where illegal gains are to be made in Speedway.

17 hours ago, Debbi said:

As someone who spent his youthful summers in Ibiza, but who eventually grew-up, I’m 99.9% positive no-one is using cocaine for confidence in speedway.

In the finance industry where outbound, non-face-to-face interactions are the regular, yes. In motorsport, no. Despite what you see on TV, such as confidence and self-assurance, the riders’ condition would instantly be recognisable and his handling of the bike would be beyond concerning.

Don’t get me wrong, I imagine, as with most professions, there are those who enjoy casual drug taking within social settings, but I can categorically confirm that no rider is taking cocaine before a race for performance enhancement purposes. I genuinely shudder at the thought of that, but rest assured that it would be identified before said rider reached the tapes.

Edited by TheWellBehavedWorrall

21 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Good ones there. If he wasn't going through such a tough time atm Craig Cook did cause a rider to be flipped onto dog track before. But I feel bad for him atm, so we'll leave him off ;)

Why name check him then? :mad:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, noaksey said:

There won't be mandatory testing of every rider at every meeting without a contract with an independent testing agent that would cost far in excess of what would be affordable for the sport

Matchroom are currently considering introducing this for all of their fighters using VARDA, the rumours suggest a cost north of 20k per fight although this is bloods not just urine.

Does anyone know who carries out the speedway testing currently?

In greyhound racing every dog was sampled pre-meeting, it became too costly so now a GBG Steward comes in unannounced and takes random samples, some pre race and some post race. The track stewards can also request a sample if they consider it nessesary after a race.

Edited by tyretrax