British Speedway Forum
davieb1

Richie Worrall statement

8 minutes ago, gazzac said:

I meant a potential employer in speedway not outside of it. I don't know him personally and he maybe able to rectify his misdemeanor and come back clean and stronger, was just saying he's not a 17 year old who hasn't lived yet and needs to grow up, must have known the consequences in failing a test and perhaps if hasn't learnt that at 33 years old not a good scenario for all concerned in the speedway pressure cooker.

Great. That's clearer and fairer. Thanks for clarifying.

No one knows what was said in the hearing and the exact circumstances. What is clear is that he made a bad mistake and deserves punishment for it. I just find the lifetime ban stuff some are rolling out for a first time offence quite ridiculous. I doubt whether all those throwing stones now are not without sin either. Everyone deserves a second chance, it's up to Richie Worrall draw some harsh lessons from this episode and take his second chance. 

3 hours ago, fatface said:

Hmm. Are you so damning on all those rock stars you admire?

We don't know the detail of this. The statement is not very revealing. What were the circumstances behind these substances being in their system? Has Worrall pleaded guilty or not? From what we do know, Boxall is a repeat offender, so its a pattern of behaviour and he didn't bother to defend it, so he deserves the book thrown at him.  For Worrall, it's his first time, he defending himself and he's been punished. Young men make mistakes and deserve a second chance, hopefully he will learn from it. 

fyi  I have no sympathy for any person taking illegal drugs. If you walk the walk, take the fall. But to put it into context, Rock stars perform on stage to thousands of admiring fans, then get on a coach back to their hotel. Speedway riders have not just their own lives at risk, but also their competitors. Massive difference. But I don't condone either.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hyderd said:

fyi  I have no sympathy for any person taking illegal drugs. If you walk the walk, take the fall. But to put it into context, Rock stars perform on stage to thousands of admiring fans, then get on a coach back to their hotel. Speedway riders have not just their own lives at risk, but also their competitors. Massive difference. But I don't condone either.

You did say: "Doesn't deserve his racing license back."

So you were advocating a life-time ban and him being permanently stripped of his living. Do you not believe in rehabilitation and second chances for first time offenders?

As for whether he put others at risk, I don't think the science is clear enough to make that statement. Cocaine has been used as a performance enhancer by some athletes as a way to increases alertness and confidence. Some say it encourages greater risk taking. In this case he hasn't caused harm to anyone but himself and the wider evidence on the effect of cocaine is unclear on sport performance. I think we can agree that either way, sport needs to be a level playing field and the use of drugs should not be tolerated. 

On 9/7/2023 at 1:14 AM, davieb1 said:

Richie Worrall released 
STATEMENT!

Yesterday I was selected for a random drug and alcohol test at Plymouth Speedway. 
My test showed a positive in one of the categories on the urine test, I wasn’t happy about this and in disbelief. I was refused a second test. 
SCB protocol is to suspend my licence until the sample has been examined further in the lab and “mid way through next week hopefully” is when I’m told the results will be back. 
Me being me has made it my mission to get tested asap at the country’s leading lab for drug and alcohol testing and I even opted for the test that looks at more than the test taken at Plymouth Speedway, 16 different categories infact compared to the 7 yesterday.
To no surprise I am clean! Tested negative in all 16 categories. This test comes with a legal document stating the 16 negatives. 
The document has been forwarded on to the BSPA and I have asked for my licence to be reinstated so I can race for my teams again but that was refused. 
Sorry to Plymouth Gladiators Speedway and Leicester Lions Speedway for not being there this week and more importantly the people close to me who are having to read the negative comments aimed at me made on this. 
I felt the need to address this because there seems to be a lot of speculation.

This is the post that started this thread.

So, is the test lab he used useless? 

If yes??? Can it be named?

13 minutes ago, Lefty said:

Like was said at the time the ONLY test that mattered was the one done at the track.He failed it.End Off

18 minutes ago, Lefty said:

It's a moot point. 

If the official tester found an illegal substance in your body, then that's what the authorities must go on. Any other test is irrelevant.

57 minutes ago, Lefty said:

Cocaine is only detectable from 2-5 days after use so it's easy to get a second, clean test a couple of days later.

Drug Test Detection Times And Cut Off Levels – UKDrugTesting

• Like 2

I,m sure Richie will be well pleased with the short ban as he won,t miss that many meetings.

3 hours ago, hyderd said:

It’s not just the other riders at risk,what about the drive home and all the other road users who could potentially be injured or worse..

• Like 2

Danny Bird received a two year ban after a test found traces of benzoylecgonine in his system, it appears that the powers that be have gone soft on drug related offences.

2 hours ago, TINYS said:

I,m sure Richie will be well pleased with the short ban as he won,t miss that many meetings.

The Leicester track might have dried out by the time his ban is up. So, he won't miss any home meetings! B)

• Haha 2

Not really read into this thread a great deal,and if Worrall was indeed taking cocaine he should imo have a much longer suspension.Do we know if it was a definite positive result.As with drugs/alcohol tests i didn't realise there are many painkillers that can actually give false positives for cocaine.

8 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Just as well it probably won't get reported anywhere else then!

Pretty much this...

Not many media outlets will bother with it...

Some sponsors might get a bit peed off though...

Most are speedway fans, so will know all the details given that they follow the sport, and might not want their name associated with a rider "done" for cocaine....

12 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Pretty much this...

Not many media outlets will bother with it...

Some sponsors might get a bit peed off though...

Most are speedway fans, so will know all the details given that they follow the sport, and might not want their name associated with a rider "done" for cocaine....

If R.  Worrall is named to ride, I will not be there, whether he is riding for home or away team.