British Speedway Forum
Biffa

Redcar v Glasgow 10th September

Be interesting to know which booking form he got first? If redcar and he turned it down surely with holding his services so a 30 day ban like others!

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Be interesting to know which booking form he got first? If redcar and he turned it down surely with holding his services so a 30 day ban like others!

Sunday is a priority race night for Poland, so he's not withholding his services. Only way he would be withholding his services is if he rode for Redcar and turned down Wroclaw!

As soon as he signed a contract with Wroclaw, he has to ride in Poland on Sunday and Thursday if his Polish club wants him. Which booking he got first is irrelevant. Blame those in charge of British speedway for agreeing to this, not Wright.

Edited by Bojangles
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

There is obviously nothing wrong with what he is doing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StevePark said:

So, a completely different scenario then?  Having said that, the Fours would have been on a Sunday, so maybe the rules were the same for UK Sunday fixtures not having priority at the time? Or is this a "new" rule?

How is it a completely different scenario?

He missed meetings at Newcastle and Scunthorpe in the league as well as the fours?

Thought you would have remembered him missing the Newcastle meeting.

Basso been with his team all season so that would be the difference (as with Pickering, Masters etc).

Edited by Gambo95
Info added

2 hours ago, Biffa said:

Jack Holders was the 4TT Final at Peterborough. Think Ged Rathbonr at the time allegedly took a £20k payment to release Jack from the fours to ride in Poland. 
Also who is missing for Glasgow & why?

Basso is riding for Bydgoszcz, he'll be at no.8 so not currently listed in lineup. But he's been riding there all season unlike Charles Wright

2 hours ago, Biffa said:

Jack Holders was the 4TT Final at Peterborough. Think Ged Rathbonr at the time allegedly took a £20k payment to release Jack from the fours to ride in Poland. 
Also who is missing for Glasgow & why?

£20K, really? That’s incredible.

I find it fascinating how the economic climate is turned on its head in speedway.

The GDP of the UK is vastly greater than that of Poland and even with this country’s current slow economic growth, it’s significantly eclipses that of Poland.

I wonder what the genuine cause is because in very few, if any, industries and environments would Poland financially outmuscle the UK.

I imagine it can only be down to the management and promotion of the sport. I’m sure I read that the top flight of speedway’s attendances in Poland are higher than football’s equivalent.

Surprisingly, I’ve encountered numerous Polish people while working abroad and naturally, I mention speedway, but none have been fans and only a few have been aware of it.

Edited by TheWellBehavedWorrall

1 hour ago, Gambo95 said:

How is it a completely different scenario?

He missed meetings at Newcastle and Scunthorpe in the league as well as the fours?

Thought you would have remembered him missing the Newcastle meeting.

Basso been with his team all season so that would be the difference (as with Pickering, Masters etc).

Because this is a rearranged meeting and the Fours would have been in the dates since before the season started

I can hardly remember yesterday, let alone what happened years ago!

Not only is this a rearranged fixture it has been rearranged on a Redcar "off night" so the ruling is he can ride in Poland, whether we like it or not!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bojangles said:

Surely this is quite simple.....

Poland have priority on Sundays. Only way Charles Wright could have raced for Redcar against Glasgow on Sunday was to turn down the chance to sign for Wroclaw. Considering Redcar usually race on a Friday, why would he turn it down?

The priority  for championship teams , British riders is Britain. Charles was added to the squad when Pawlicki was injured but he came back early.

Then the fixture v Glasgow was announced, prior to Woffinden crashing at Cardiff last weekend.who Charles is replacing. I agree a great opportunity and a lot of money, borrowing equipment so no outlay, but a dangerous precedent for championship speedway in Britain.

• Like 3

Sums things up perfectly when a rider is off chasing the big pennies in Poland first chance he gets, so much for loyalty. Funny thing is Redcar seem quite happy with it.

If you allow riders to take an inch, don't be surprised if they take a mile.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, bringbackHalifax said:

The priority  for championship teams, British riders is Britain. Charles was added to the squad when Pawlicki was injured but he came back early.

Then the fixture v Glasgow was announced, prior to Woffinden crashing at Cardiff last weekend.who Charles is replacing. I agree a great opportunity and a lot of money, borrowing equipment so no outlay, but a dangerous precedent for championship speedway in Britain.

That's your opinion. I was stating a fact. Poland has priority on a Sunday, I don't know why this is so hard to understand.

I believe Wright signed as injury cover for Wroclaw around August 10, a good three weeks before Woffinden got injured at Cardiff, so not sure where you got your info from. If Wright was to ride for Redcar on Sunday, he would be withholding his services in Poland - not the other way around.

Edited by Bojangles
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, screm said:

Sums things up perfectly when a rider is off chasing the big pennies in Poland first chance he gets, so much for loyalty. Funny thing is Redcar seem quite happy with it.

If you allow riders to take an inch, don't be surprised if they take a mile.

It’s a nothing fixture for the Clubs involved.

2 hours ago, Bojangles said:

That's your opinion. I was stating a fact. Poland has priority on a Sunday, I don't know why this is so hard to understand.

I believe Wright signed as injury cover for Wroclaw around August 10, a good three weeks before Woffinden got injured at Cardiff, so not sure where you got your info from. If Wright was to ride for Redcar on Sunday, he would be withholding his services in Poland - not the other way around.

Am I right in thinking, if he missed the Polish fixture (and rode for Redcar), he'd get an FIM ban, so would wouldn't be able to ride for anybody, anywhere?  Or is that not the case (I believe it used to be, but they keep moving the "goalposts" so it's difficult to keep up!)?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Am I right in thinking, if he missed the Polish fixture (and rode for Redcar), he'd get an FIM ban, so would wouldn't be able to ride for anybody, anywhere?  Or is that not the case (I believe it used to be, but they keep moving the "goalposts" so it's difficult to keep up!)?

We’re better not thinking about anything in Speedway it just complicates things.

So what about the CLRC that was raced on a Sunday, Masters, Basso, Pickering & S Worrall all were pulled out by their Polish clubs/ fixture list and that was a BSPL EVENT. 

• Like 1