British Speedway Forum

3 minutes ago, TheWellBehavedWorrall said:

72-B50-C0-A-CAFA-4-A90-A8-FB-9-A5-C8106-

Obviously Danish...wild card I'm guessing? Struggling with this one!

3 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Obviously Danish...wild card I'm guessing? Struggling with this one!

Yes, Danish, but no, he was a wild card. At least not in the season this picture was taken.

4 minutes ago, TheWellBehavedWorrall said:

Yes, Danish, but no, he was a wild card. At least not in the season this picture was taken.

I'm thinking either Hans Andersen or Niels Kristain Iversen but I know I'm wrong?

1 minute ago, steve roberts said:

I'm thinking either Hans Andersen or Niels Kristain Iversen but I know I'm wrong?

This gentleman was every so slightly before their time.

The classiest rider I’ve ever saw on a speedway bike. He’d have looked more stressed and rushed buttering toast.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TheWellBehavedWorrall said:

You’re on a roll. Correct.

Should have known that seeing that he saw his career out as a "Cheetah" although injury had really affected him by then...he suffered with reoccurring collarbone trouble if I recall.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

Should have known that seeing that he saw his career out as a "Cheetah" although injury had really affected him by then...he suffered with reoccurring collarbone trouble if I recall.

He won the league with Oxford in 2001, didn’t he?

I loved that league winning Oxford team. I went Cowley a few times that season. I’m sure they were the first club in the UK to wear matching race suits; purple ones with yellow lining. Kings Lynn did something similar in 2000, but they were Wulf Sport outerwear; not kevlars.

Off the top of my head, I’ll try naming the line-up; Todd Wiltshire, Brian Andersen, Steve Johnston, Lucas Dryml, Leigh Adams, Ales Dryml and Andrew Appleton.

6 minutes ago, TheWellBehavedWorrall said:

I loved that league winning Oxford team. I went Cowley a few times that season. I’m sure they were the first club in the UK to wear matching race suits; purple ones with yellow lining. Kings Lynn did something similar in 2000, but they were Wulf Sport outerwear; not kevlars.

Off the top of my head, I’ll try naming the line-up; Todd Wiltshire, Brian Andersen, Steve Johnston, Lucas Dryml, Leigh Adams, Ales Dryml and Andrew Appleton.

Yes that was the line up and we saw some great action. Each rider pitched in...was a shame that Lukas was involved in a crash at King's Lynn when in collision with a desperate Peter Karlsson as he was on fire prior to that. Not sure if we were the first team to wear matching race suits (can't recall when they first came in?) all I remember was team colours of purple (my least favourite colour) and yellow.

• Like 1

Every team wore them in 1998, pretty sure they were a Simon Wigg innovation. They began as stretchy oversuits but as the season went on riders had their own kevlars made. Lynn then took it a step further in 2000 with the silver 'machine' bike covers.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Every team wore them in 1998, pretty sure they were a Simon Wigg innovation. They began as stretchy oversuits but as the season went on riders had their own kevlars made. Lynn then took it a step further in 2000 with the silver 'machine' bike covers.

I have to say I disliked that nickname when Nigel Wagstaff took over from the Purchases at Cowley in 2003.

I'm sure you are right about Wiggy?

Edited by steve roberts

2 hours ago, TheWellBehavedWorrall said:

Pretty sure Rye House and Mildenhall had team racesuits in the 70s.

Rye House were sponsored by Alvima or Infradex. Looked very smart

Mildenhall had Gold leathers with black tiger stripes. Tassels on the arms too, if the memory ain't playing tricks.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Triple.H. said:

Pretty sure Rye House and Mildenhall had team racesuits in the 70s.

Rye House were sponsored by Alvima or Infradex. Looked very smart

Mildenhall had Gold leathers with black tiger stripes. Tassels on the arms too, if the memory ain't playing tricks.

They did but they were far from alone.

Cradley Heath and Halifax had team leathers in the early seventies

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

They did but they were far from alone.

Cradley Heath and Halifax had team leathers in the early seventies

And Swindon and Leicester

• Like 1