British Speedway Forum

17 hours ago, Essex said:

Ablitt never won a race at Poole don't know if he won any last year but with a weaker league would he not and he has had a couple of seasons now in this division be a good bet against some of this year's reserves or is he a rider who is just good at NDL standard.

https://britishspeedway.co.uk/2023-rider-statistics/        & click on Scunthorpe. Nathan won 4 races at the EWR in '23

3 hours ago, Nickinho said:

Nathan definitely improved last year after a very difficult 2022 with Poole in which he stepped into a strong Pirates team well before he was ready for the Championship. 

He's worthy of a reserve spot in the league this year. 

A factor to take into account with Nathan was he was Eastbourne trained from a kid, he had that home advantage taken away from him and was brave to take the Poole gig on.

Looked far better towards the end of last season, Ian Jordan cost him a year of his progress as IMO he would have done better confidence wise with Arlington as his home base.

I rate the lad, good luck to him..

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Shrimmy said:

Number 5 wrong 

If that is the team say we switch TJ for MPT. I do think it lacks some top end scoring potentially ?.

I mentioned on the thread that Birmingham Aussie Justin Sedgeman could be a crafty signing. He regularly topped the scoring for Brummies and was a frequent guest called up by short handed clubs including us !. He goes well around Scunny and with Howarth and Jake would be a capable top three in this Championship.

It means we would need to lose Connor Mountain who has been picked up by Belle Vue in the Prem. But we have the option to bring back Zaine Kennedy who looks a steal on 4.27 if he can pick up from his 2022 form before injury. 

I feel a lot more optimistic for this line up than I do yours ? But its a matter of opinion of course 

K Howarth 

Z Kennedy 

J Sedgeman 

S Lambert 

J Allen 

N Ablitt

L Harrison 

Edited by thebaron

30 minutes ago, thebaron said:

If that is the team say we switch TJ for MPT. I do think it lacks some top end scoring potentially ?.

I mentioned on the thread that Birmingham Aussie Justin Sedgeman could be a crafty signing. He regularly topped the scoring for Brummies and was a frequent guest called up by short handed clubs including us !. He goes well around Scunny and with Howarth and Jake would be a capable top three in this Championship.

It means we would need to lose Connor Mountain who has been picked up by Belle Vue in the Prem. But we have the option to bring back Zaine Kennedy who looks a steal on 4.27 if he can pick up from his 2022 form before injury. 

I feel a lot more optimistic for this line up than I do yours ? But its a matter of opinion of course 

K Howarth 

Z Kennedy 

J Sedgeman 

S Lambert 

J Allen 

N Ablitt

L Harrison 

Wooden spoon lineup.

1 minute ago, Bellers101 said:

Wooden spoon lineup.

Ok what would your line up be ? 

1 minute ago, thebaron said:

Ok what would your line up be ? 

No idea and not bothered as I'm not a Scunny fan. Upon reflection that team might finish 2nd bottom if Plymouth don't pull a few surprise signings out of the hat.

6 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

https://britishspeedway.co.uk/2023-rider-statistics/        & click on Scunthorpe. Nathan won 4 races at the EWR in '23

Thanks for the info but was only commenting on is he a good signing for Scunthorpe being the teams will all be weaker this coming season and that's 4 more races than he won at Poole try though that he did.

On 12/8/2023 at 11:47 PM, scunny1 said:

Neither Mountain or Ablitt did enough to warrant a return.  Gilkes would be a good addition.

Ablitt went from a sub-2.00 average to 3.00 riding in the more difficult number 6 position, think he & the club can be very pleased with his progress imo.

Gilkes would be a very good signing.

Edited by szkocjasid

Think this would be an awesome team

Scunthorpe  
Steve Worrall 7.84
Michael P Toft 7.01
Simon Lambert 5.87
Anders Rowe 5.80
Drew Kemp 5.19
Zaine Kennedy 4.27
Luke Harrison 2.00
Total 37.98
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Scunthorpe  
Steve Worrall 7.84
Michael P Toft 7.01
Simon Lambert 5.87
Anders Rowe 5.80
Drew Kemp 5.19
Zaine Kennedy 4.27
Luke Harrison 2.00
Total 37.98

Not sure Worrall will be there.

• Like 1

Rumoured to be Glasgow bound after a few years at Poole when he lives less than 30 miles away!

49 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Not sure Worrall will be there.

27 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

Rumoured to be Glasgow bound after a few years at Poole when he lives less than 30 miles away!

Yeah I've read rumors of Worrall to Glasgow, but until it's announced, I count him as available.

2 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Scunthorpe  
Steve Worrall 7.84
Michael P Toft 7.01
Simon Lambert 5.87
Anders Rowe 5.80
Drew Kemp 5.19
Zaine Kennedy 4.27
Luke Harrison 2.00
Total 37.98

I have read Worrall is bound for Glasgow ? But either way I believe we will need two top enders to go up against it in Heat 15. That team imo does lack that bit extra needed in final heats ?. Tofty never quite hit form last season mostly I would suggest down to injury and a lengthy absence. He could up the anti this time around ?  I think it would be a mistake to not to go with Jake on 7.16. I would be disappointed if so as he is great to watch around Scunny and arguably our best "team rider". 

I get the point of a solid looking 1-7 but it will be those with 2-3 top riders who set the pace in this "remodelled" Championship.  

I'll take a punt and say this weeks reveal will be Jake Allen

Edited by thebaron
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Essex said:

Thanks for the info but was only commenting on is he a good signing for Scunthorpe being the teams will all be weaker this coming season and that's 4 more races than he won at Poole try though that he did.

Tbf he did get a few paid wins. And when he guested for Poole last season he would have won H2 if Rowe didn't try and race him for it!