British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SpeedwayFan91

Tigers vs Wolves (playoff semi 2nd leg) 28/09/23

49 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

The top 4, from 7. Should be the title toppers go to the final, and 2nd and 3rd fight it out over 2 legs to join them, imho

The 3rd and 4th teams are in the play off finals the top team Bellevue finished 10 points in front of Ipswich and 7 in front of Sheffield meaning they were the best team over the season . So we have a position where the team that finishes 4th from the top and 4th from the bottom winning the Micky Mouse league laughable 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, r8gdp said:

The 3rd and 4th teams are in the play off finals the top team Bellevue finished 10 points in front of Ipswich and 7 in front of Sheffield meaning they were the best team over the season . So we have a position where the team that finishes 4th from the top and 4th from the bottom winning the Micky Mouse league laughable 

Plus the 2 teams in the final have the same major sponsor. End of the season has worked well for them

I say the same thing every year, get the league sorted out early so the play off final is over the last bank holiday in August. A chance of decent weather, big crowd, good for the telly, people go home happy looking forward to next year. But no. Every year is the same old farce dragging it out against the elements with riders and track prep looking amateurish at best and then calling it off at heat 10. Everyone goes home wet, cold, fed up. Riders race hard all year for the finale to be a non event with rubbish weather. Never learn. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, r8gdp said:

Been over this a 1000 times..everyone knows the rules before hand. So it means zero how many points anyone finishes anymore  its hardly a new thing and everyone understands how it works .

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I say the same thing every year, get the league sorted out early so the play off final is over the last bank holiday in August. A chance of decent weather, big crowd, good for the telly, people go home happy looking forward to next year. But no. Every year is the same old farce dragging it out against the elements with riders and track prep looking amateurish at best and then calling it off at heat 10. Everyone goes home wet, cold, fed up. Riders race hard all year for the finale to be a non event with rubbish weather. Never learn. 

You can never judge the weather in the UK August was shocking this year You can  have plenty of good weather in Sept and Oct .  ..its still September now so last night is just unlucky 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

The top 4, from 7. Should be the title toppers go to the final, and 2nd and 3rd fight it out over 2 legs to join them, imho

They've had similar ideas in the past, but it means club finishing second can get 2 big play-off crowds, whereas table toppers only get one big crowd! Plus the team that gets a bye are not as race fit as the semi final winners

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, r8gdp said:

That’s speedway in this country  3rd playing 4th for the the right to be crowned Micky mouse title winners 

Speedway in the country? .to my best knowledge Sweden and Poland do the same  .And so do many other sports ..surely you must know all that ?

• Like 5

10 hours ago, r8gdp said:

That’s speedway in this country  3rd playing 4th for the the right to be crowned Micky mouse title winners 

You could finish 6th in the Polish Ekstraliga table and still have a chance of being champions when it’s all said and done, it’s the same there and most other countries.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, orion said:

Been over this a 1000 times..everyone knows the rules before hand. So it means zero how many points anyone finishes anymore  its hardly a new thing and everyone understands how it works .

I know it’s the rules and it is what it is but it does nt seem right for me . But that’s only my opinion.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, orion said:

Very true but does this contribute to woeful attendences throughout the regular season and good crowds for a coupe of play off matches for four teams? The season itself is now nothing but a large qualifying round. Bit different to football where at the end of the season the champions and relegated teams are sorted and they have play off for the final promotion place. Can still get a team finishing third in the championship losing promotion to a team that finished quite a few points below them but the important positions of champions and relegation are straight forward. Play offs are just a money spinner, after they were brought in to re structure the football league that became apparent to the authorities. I know people who dont attend meetings throughout the season but just watch the play off meetings whoever is in them. The rule is the rule and thats the same for every club, explaining to a non speedway fan how a team 10 points behind the table toppers can be crowned champions wont encourage them to see speedway as a serious sport. Last season for me yes we won the play offs but it just seemed a bit hollow as we wer,nt the best team over the season. And with a league of half a dozen or seven its even more ridiculous. But as you say everyone understands how it works. Poland is different as the fans there are fanatical and they have all the worlds best riding there, still dont agree with a 6th placed team being crowned champions though. We all have different opinions though.

Edited by bellevueace

15 minutes ago, bellevueace said:

Very true but does this contribute to woeful attendences throughout the regular season and good crowds for a coupe of play off matches for four teams? The season itself is now nothing but a large qualifying round. Bit different to football where at the end of the season the champions and relegated teams are sorted and they have play off for the final promotion place. Can still get a team finishing third in the championship losing promotion to a team that finished quite a few points below them but the important positions of champions and relegation are straight forward. Play offs are just a money spinner, after they were brought in to re structure the football league that became apparent to the authorities. I know peope who dont attend meetings throughout the season but just watch the play off meetings whoever is in them. The rule is the rule and thats the same for every club, explaining to a non speedway fan how a team 10 points behind the table toppers can be crowned champions wont encourage them to see speedway as a serious sport. Last season for me yes we won the play offs but it just seemed a bit hollow as we wer,nt the best team over the season. And with a league of half a dozen or seven it e3ven more ridiculous. But as you say everyone understands how it works.

Not at all..Any one with anyone with any common sense would understand that the Play Offs make the crowds bigger during the season.As it keeps the season alive longer for more sides . thes season would have been over by June otherwise and the staduims would have  been  empty this has to be explain every year to people for some reason  Non speedway fans.? Loads of sports used the same format to decide the champions so pretty easy to understand.What you  don't understand is that football is awash with money and have so much prize money and things to play for like champions league etc.So they  have the luxury of not having to decide the champions by play offs etc 

Edited by orion
  • Like 1

Sheffield finished top of the league last season, i didn't complain that we weren't league champions because i knew before the season started that who ever won the playoffs won the league

why we have to go through this at the end of every season i don't understand, if you don't like the rules don't enter the competition, if you do enter it, don't complain about the rules at the end

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JoeW436 said:

You could finish 6th in the Polish Ekstraliga table and still have a chance of being champions when it’s all said and done, it’s the same there and most other countries.

In Poland you can finish 6th in the table, get knocked out in first round of the playoffs and still win the final because you are a Lucky Loser