British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SpeedwayFan91

Tigers vs Wolves (playoff semi 2nd leg) 28/09/23

2 hours ago, topsoil said:

In Poland you can finish 6th in the table, get knocked out in first round of the playoffs and still win the final because you are a Lucky Loser

Well that must be the end for Polish speedway if you read some of the comments on here

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Plus the 2 teams in the final have the same major sponsor. End of the season has worked well for them

and there is the start of another conspiracy theory

That was a really, really tough watch last night and an absolute shame that a club of Wolves’ stature exited British speedway under what I can only describe as ‘empty coverage’ by Eurosport:

I appreciate that I’ve never raced a speedway bike at 60MPH with no brakes in the rain and 25% vision, but riders like Schlein and Douglas went through the motions last night. Considering that was a play-off semi-final, it’s a crying shame for those who paid to be there.

Eurosport’s coverage returning from a commercial break, confirming what the final score was before actually informing viewers the meeting had been abandoned, but quickly moving onto “here’s what’s coming up on Eurosport” was also poor.

Compared to BSN’s coverage of Redcar versus Glasgow, it as night and day.

Two years ago I gave up cable tv/sky/Eurosport etc have never regretted it.

BSN is all I need, I don’t care about the grand Prixs either, I have always been about team events.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, marko said:

Two years ago I gave up cable tv/sky/Eurosport etc have never regretted it.

BSN is all I need, I don’t care about the grand Prixs either, I have always been about team events.

So have I.

15 hours ago, orion said:

You can never judge the weather in the UK August was shocking this year You can  have plenty of good weather in Sept and Oct .  ..its still September now so last night is just unlucky 

Your just edging your bets slightly but August was shocking! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, orion said:

Not at all..Any one with anyone with any common sense would understand that the Play Offs make the crowds bigger during the season.As it keeps the season alive longer for more sides . thes season would have been over by June otherwise and the staduims would have  been  empty this has to be explain every year to people for some reason  Non speedway fans.? Loads of sports used the same format to decide the champions so pretty easy to understand.What you  don't understand is that football is awash with money and have so much prize money and things to play for like champions league etc.So they  have the luxury of not having to decide the champions by play offs etc 

I totally understand all the pros and cons, but as the regular league matches are run with crowds far less than the play off meetings it could be a case of what you lose on the swings you gain on the roundabouts, unless you dont make the play offs so dont have those two or four beneficial meetings at the end of the season. I think i get the gist that football is awash with money but eventually that will create its own problems as we saw with the fans revolt that scuppered the super league, that will eventually come in by way of the restructure of the champions league, which many fans groups are against. Football is now a business more than a sport except for the lower levels where the money is more scarce. Ice hockey is another sport that decides its champons by the way of play offs but also recognises the efforts of the table toppers too. Whatever the format there are always going to be teams with nothing to play for and their seasons will be over half way through, Kings Lynn suffered this year no doubt so will the Luton Towns. The sad fact is clubs continue to fall by the wayside in alarming numbers, we really need to attract those non speedway fans, first we need a sport that is credible, so much of the sport isnt any more when you throw in other aspects not least making the rules up as you go along. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Third Man said:

Sheffield finished top of the league last season, i didn't complain that we weren't league champions because i knew before the season started that who ever won the playoffs won the league

why we have to go through this at the end of every season i don't understand, if you don't like the rules don't enter the competition, if you do enter it, don't complain about the rules at the end

We all understand the rules im not complaining this season and good luck to Ipswich, but we can all have different opinions soon there wont be many left to enter the Premiership anyway.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bellevueace said:

I totally understand all the pros and cons, but as the regular league matches are run with crowds far less than the play off meetings it could be a case of what you lose on the swings you gain on the roundabouts, unless you dont make the play offs so dont have those two or four beneficial meetings at the end of the season. I think i get the gist that football is awash with money but eventually that will create its own problems as we saw with the fans revolt that scuppered the super league, that will eventually come in by way of the restructure of the champions league, which many fans groups are against. Football is now a business more than a sport except for the lower levels where the money is more scarce. Ice hockey is another sport that decides its champons by the way of play offs but also recognises the efforts of the table toppers too. Whatever the format there are always going to be teams with nothing to play for and their seasons will be over half way through, Kings Lynn suffered this year no doubt so will the Luton Towns. The sad fact is clubs continue to fall by the wayside in alarming numbers, we really need to attract those non speedway fans, first we need a sport that is credible, so much of the sport isnt any more when you throw in other aspects not least making the rules up as you go along. 

Under your format more teams would have less to play for..that's just common sense.People cry to much about the rules and the  effect it has .Polish speedway is packed with fans and money etc.but some of rules like lucky loser are Mickley Mouse.omThen other sports like Gp .That has the best driver in the fastest car having a head start over slowly cars with Worst drivers..You can picks holes in any sport if you wanted to..Cricket has a review system that can show you are out but your still not  given out . It's easy to do. If the UK had its own staduims and top riders it would be packed each week and no one would  care get if Chris Harris was guesting for Sheff in the final.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, orion said:

Under your format more teams would have less to play for..that's just common sense.People cry to much about the rules and the  effect it has .Polish speedway is packed with fans and money etc.but some of rules like lucky loser are Mickley Mouse.omThen other sports like Gp .That has the best driver in the fastest car having a head start over slowly cars with Worst drivers..You can picks holes in any sport if you wanted to..Cricket has a review system that can show you are out but your still not  given out . It's easy to do. If the UK had its own staduims and top riders it would be packed each week and no one would  care get if Chris Harris was guesting for Sheff in the final.

Its difficult to compare different sports, stock cars for example have the best fastest drivers starting from the rear of the grid, something speedway dabbled with in the sixties handicapping the top riders. Throughout the sports history there have always been cinderella clubs who were never going to be contending. Things like the guest rule most people are critical of it, but if a club loses a number one how else do they replace that scoring power? Fans will always have different opinions about certain aspects of the sport. We could do with some injection of positivity like the return of clubs like Swindon, Coventry, and hopefully Wolves can return.

Edited by bellevueace
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, bellevueace said:

Its difficult to compare different sports, stock cars for example have the best fastest drivers starting from the rear of the grid, something speedway dabbled with in the sixties handicapping the top riders. Throughout the sports history there have always been cinderella clubs who were never going to be contending. Things like the guest rule most people are critical of it, but if a club loses a number one how else do they replace that scoring power? Fans will always have different opinions about certain aspects of the sport. We could do with some injection of positivity like the return of clubs like Swindon, Coventry, and hopefully Wolves can return.

Some fair points .. Guests are never perfect but i never seen anyone come up with better way that covers fairness and also make sure people go to watch the match still . i try to defend the powers that  be as  i understand how hard it is to get the balance right  

Edited by orion
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, orion said:

Some fair points .. Guests are never perfect but i never seen anyone come up with better way that covers fairness and also make sure people go to watch the match still . i try to defend the powers that as  i understand how hard it is to get the balance right  

Yes it is difficult and if a team loses its top rider theres no other option to the guest system as we dont have a squad system. Where it does look silly is the situation where Harris rode for Ipswich to help them get into the final and now finds himself Riding for Sheffield against them, thats an example i think why the sport is not seen as credible in the eyes of some.

• Like 1

The folks that actually attend these meetings are well used to these things it isn’t like it’s new

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bellevueace said:

Yes it is difficult and if a team loses its top rider theres no other option to the guest system as we dont have a squad system. Where it does look silly is the situation where Harris rode for Ipswich to help them get into the final and now finds himself Riding for Sheffield against them, thats an example i think why the sport is not seen as credible in the eyes of some.

Sometimes it is probably best that the sport gets hardly any mainstream coverage...

And you can add Jack Smith riding against his parent club, and ultimately making a key difference  for a team who he doesnt ride for, to the  mix...:D

As for Guests, a proper RR facility would cover a No1. The next two riders could take all his rides and still do their own and Ht 15.. Years ago a No1 scored a large % of the teams points, particularly in the 13 Ht era, meaning they were a big miss,  now it is more shared around the team so less differential between HL's.. 

Still, we get to another season end, and this year two more have gone by the way side...

Same old, same old, rinse and repeat...

Works so well doesnt it? 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bellevueace said:

Harris isn't riding with any allegiance to any team, he is riding merely for himself although I am sure he will be more than pleased if he has helped that team to a win. Its that simple.

• Like 1