British Speedway Forum

2 hours ago, gmarsbar2 said:

Factually he slide off in his first ride on the final bend when tailed off. Completed two more rides in which he scored. Then he withdrew from the meeting on medical advice, thus insuring Plymouth could use guests or R/R all season

Agree I never said which race he crashed in.

23 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Wolves were allowed a facility for Becker despite him starting the season injured so were Scunny when Zaine Kennedy didn't arrive, but Plymouth were not allowed a facility for Dan T when he got injured before making his debut for them.

I assume Scunthorpe & Wolves got "special dispensation" because Becker & Kennedy had ridden for them in the previous season?

I’ve not looked at 2024 rules but it’s been the rule for some time that a facility was available for a rider included in an initial declaration, that is at the start of the season, injured before they can take their place so facilities were available for Becker and Kennedy, part of the initial declarations, but not Thompson who was named in a redeclaration. No dispensations required. 

• Like 1

As some will know, the invaluable Shielfield track staffers are working very hard this spring, moving the start line and changing/upgrading the safety fencing.     

Less than five weeks to Launch Night/Press'n'practice weekend! 

Edited by crescent girl
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, crescent girl said:

As some will know, the invaluable Shielfield track staffers are working very hard this spring, moving the start line and changing/upgrading the safety fencing.     

Interesting (to a self-confessed track anorak), why is start line being moved please and where to; forward or back from its current position ?  For interest, similar 'football / rugby tracks', as described by Shane Parker, at Hull's Boulevard the S/L was approx half way along the home straight but was moved 10ft or so nearer turn 1 mid 1980 or '81 as the outside starting gate mechanism obscured something relevant to the rugby club (I forget what exactly).  At Craven Park the start line was always about 1/3 along the home straight, from turn 1, and remained there throughout. I did say I was a track anorak :D....

Edited by martinmauger
cricial track anorak accuracy
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, martinmauger said:

Interesting (to a self-confessed track anorak), why is start line being moved please and where to; forward or back from its current position ?  For interest, similar 'football / rugby tracks', as described by Shane Parker, at Hull's Boulevard the S/L was approx half way along the home straight but was moved 10ft or so nearer turn 1 mid 1980 or '81 as the outside starting gate mechanism obscured something relevant to the rugby club (I forget what exactly).  At Craven Park the start line was always about 1/3 along the home straight, from turn 1, and remained there throughout. I did say I was a track anorak :D....

I’m sure the start line was moved years ago at Berwick.Not sure of the reason though.

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

I’m sure the start line was moved years ago at Berwick.Not sure of the reason though.

Used to be a lot further back years ago

No photo description available.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Normski said:

Used to be a lot further back years ago

No photo description available.

What Berwick would do for a crowd like that these days!

• Like 4

17 hours ago, crescent girl said:

Are you there assisting with the work as you stay close by?

A mate who had been at the football did say that part of the fence was down. Good to see modifications being made by the promotion.

5 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Probably not just Berwick would like crowds like that.

22 minutes ago, StevePark said:

There are more people in that picture than are at a match these days.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, StevePark said:

What Berwick would do for a rider like the one in the photo? :D (i'm thinking it's 'Mauger'?)

26 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

What Berwick would do for a rider like the one in the photo? :D (i'm thinking it's 'Mauger'?)

Your are correct.Not Kym though.!

Edited by Fromafar
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

There are more people in that picture than are at a match these days.

50/50 draw must have been good not forgeytting 

36 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Was a best of 3 match race with Jim McMillan

• Like 1

1stly, which pic you referring to.  Mid-1970's Ivan did a few match races on 'division 2' circuits with other 'division 1' riders, likes of Jimmy Mac, also Briggo, PC & Dave Jessup.  Thanks for replies, an obv position of start / finish line would be half way along the straight but one concensus of opinion seems be a tad nearer turn 4 as it gives riders more time to get into position on the line they want before going into turn , all 4 together....

19 minutes ago, martinmauger said:

1stly, which pic you referring to.  Mid-1970's Ivan did a few match races on 'division 2' circuits with other 'division 1' riders, likes of Jimmy Mac, also Briggo, PC & Dave Jessup.  Thanks for replies, an obv position of start / finish line would be half way along the straight but one concensus of opinion seems be a tad nearer turn 4 as it gives riders more time to get into position on the line they want before going into turn , all 4 together....

Nearer the 1bend would be the better option IMO.4 riders reaching the 1st bend at full speed would be carnage at Berwick,it’s bad enough as it is.Believe that it is only Slight change of Starting Line though. (5metres).

Yeah, having supported 2 tracks, which weren't as wide as would ideally be, esp the Boulevard, 1st bend room at circuits around ball game pitches always at a premium & things can get, dicey, if all 4 arrive together.  Been to Shielfield before the banking was added then lockdown era (?) mods to the straights, maybe recent mods are down to Stewart Dickson's arrival, but there doesn't seem to be any more room seen the track work pics on the website.  Stiil, the track 'is what it is', you still have speedway in Berwick & come to the tapes every season, obv doing something right (obv) so much credit is due.....

Edited by martinmauger
added info
  • Like 2