British Speedway Forum

6 hours ago, martinmauger said:

1stly, which pic you referring to.  Mid-1970's Ivan did a few match races on 'division 2' circuits with other 'division 1' riders, likes of Jimmy Mac, also Briggo, PC & Dave Jessup.  Thanks for replies, an obv position of start / finish line would be half way along the straight but one concensus of opinion seems be a tad nearer turn 4 as it gives riders more time to get into position on the line they want before going into turn , all 4 together....

When Blantyre 2 was built the starting gate was at the halway line on the straight. When Ivan Mauger visited pre-season he advised that the gate be moved back nearer turn four for the exact reasons you stated and also saving a long run to the line.

5 hours ago, tyretrax said:

When Blantyre 2 was built the starting gate was at the halway line on the straight. When Ivan Mauger visited pre-season he advised that the gate be moved back nearer turn four for the exact reasons you stated and also saving a long run to the line.

Well there you go, though it was Briggo who I first read make the suggestion, forget which track but wasn't at Glasgow / Blantyre 1 or 2....

• Like 1

Just to be different Wimbledon had the start line nearer to turn 4 and the finish line nearer to turn 1 due to the short straights.

On 2/21/2024 at 9:27 AM, Chris116 said:

Just to be different Wimbledon had the start line nearer to turn 4 and the finish line nearer to turn 1 due to the short straights.

Last time I went to Iwade the start line was just after the 4th bend

On 2/21/2024 at 9:27 AM, Chris116 said:

Armadale also have a different start/finish line.

7 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Armadale also have a different start/finish line.

Could be wrong but from memory that changed last year when the transponder equipment went in 

13 minutes ago, gmuncie said:

Could be wrong but from memory that changed last year when the transponder equipment went in 

Nope. It was still split last year. I'm sure it was. Unless I'm imagining things?

Edited by Peter Hill
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Peter Hill said:

Nope. It was still split last year. I'm sure it was. Unless I'm imagining things?

Pretty sure you are correct.

1 hour ago, gmuncie said:

It hadn’t changed anytime I was there last season.

• Like 2

On 2/23/2024 at 10:11 PM, Fromafar said:

It hadn’t changed anytime I was there last season.

Me neither 

Nice cover picture and featured interview with Jye Etheridge in this week's Speedway Star by Phil Lanning....  Just three weeks until pre-season weekend! 

Berwick announce Jewson as main team sponsor

45 minutes ago, Normski said:

Berwick announce Jewson as main team sponsor

Big company and a well-known name nationally, can only be very good news. 

Jewson are part of the (£7.5 billion turnover) STARK group, so this sponsorship links the Bandits (sorry, Jewson Bandits) with a global giant.

Launch weekend looms on March 22/23!

• Like 2

On 3/1/2024 at 10:18 PM, crescent girl said:

Nice cover picture and featured interview with Jye Etheridge in this week's Speedway Star by Phil Lanning....  Just three weeks until pre-season weekend! 

If Etheridge rides as well as he talks about in the interview, then Berwick could be favourites for the league. Personally I felt he was being too ambitious.

3 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

If Etheridge rides as well as he talks about in the interview, then Berwick could be favourites for the league. Personally I felt he was being too ambitious.

If he can stay on the bike and not get injured it certainly be a bonus.