British Speedway Forum
Arch Stanton

Ipswich v Sheffield play off final 1st leg

38 minutes ago, bringbackHalifax said:

And the 2nd leg of the show piece semi final last Thursday was what. A disgrace win at all costs ………

Yes it was

8 hours ago, BluPanther said:

If found, please send to Robert Lambert c/o Sheffield Speedway...

Holder is still looking for his from the KOC final that’s why he was going so slow

• Haha 1

When you look at the effort lads like Hume and Edwards put in for their sides then watch the complete inept effort from holder all meeting it does make you wonder why they bother with these half has beens in this country. Just desperation I spose 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ruckerroo said:

When you look at the effort lads like Hume and Edwards put in for their sides then watch the complete inept effort from holder all meeting it does make you wonder why they bother with these half has beens in this country. Just desperation I spose 

Especially when Adam Ellis who he came in for is a very good at ippo. Obviously they didnt know when they made the changes they’d have us in both finals but gotta say Ellis and Kerr would’ve outscored holder and the two guests in the two Foxhall legs by probably 10 points

• Like 2

“I’m really happy with the result, it was a really tough battle. We managed to come through it and get a decent lead, so I’m delighted with all seven of them on a tricky track tonight due to the weather we had last night. I’m delighted with the boys, and it is a good lead, but we know Sheffield are going to come strong on Thursday.

“It was a brilliant performance from our three heat leaders, they won a lot of races. Heat 13 and 15 were crucial 5-1s, that is eight points up in two heats and they could easily have been shared heats. They have been superb all season and we have talked a lot about it, you can’t put into words the job they have done, and they have come up trumps again and what a pleasure they have been to work with.

“It was tough out there tonight, 13 out of the 14 riders attacked the track and battled hard. It felt like a battle, and it wasn’t enjoyable conditions for anyone to ride in, but it couldn’t be helped. The weather played its part which it does at this time of year, and it was a proper final with two teams battling their hardest. I’m sure it will be the same on Thursday.

“We had concerns having to move it to a Tuesday and clashing with the football team who are doing great this season but wow, you came out in force again. I spoke to everyone on the mic to re-iterate again, thank you for all of the support, you have made the world of difference to get us in the position we are in. We have come from the brink, and we now have a great opportunity to make this a legendary season.”

Hawkins concedes the track was difficult and holds his hands up but people are going overboard in their criticism here. Most of the comments on here are from people who don’t live in Ipswich and didn’t see the rain we had Monday evening and then again Tuesday morning. No summer sunshine or heat yesterday to dry the track out either. Similar to last week for the Belle Vue semi, it literally pi$$ed it down at 7.30 just before the parade! 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, 89buttons said:

Especially when Adam Ellis who he came in for is a very good at ippo. Obviously they didnt know when they made the changes they’d have us in both finals but gotta say Ellis and Kerr would’ve outscored holder and the two guests in the two Foxhall legs by probably 10 points

It’s all ifs and buts, Ellis was a huge issue in the team he wasn’t scoring home or away… we have suffered with injuries you could say Tai and Musielak would of scored more than Lambert and Lawson last night but we will never know. All we know is C Holder and Howarth were very poor last night and cost us in the points. The track was a disgrace, the ref was shocking. the Sheff riders seemed pretty pumped up after the meeting just hope they get stuck in Thursday and pull it back or at least get close to make it interesting 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tellboy said:

What I find quite ironic just going over the many pages,is that many of the Ipswich fans lament the Lynn track but watching that last night and last week can they really say their track is any better.I don't think so at all.

Do they? Are you sure you’re not getting confused with Peterborough supporters?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

So......

Just finished watching the meeting on TV after being there tonight. 

The track was a lot drier than last meeting and should have been a lot wetter to make it an "Ipswich track" 

Doyle Emil and King all came to the party 

Hume Riss and Rew all scored their average.  Thompson got stuck in.

Yes the lead should have been bigger but for mistakes but hey that's the Witches way.

Could have been so very different after the heat 4 incident with Hume and Doyle, fortunately both riders got up and rode for the remainder of the meeting, hope both are OK. 

As for Sheffield, Stead and his riders all seemed to have chip on their shoulders, whinge whinge whinge. Wonder if that's how they got Lambert in as a guest.  Talking of him.... doesnt he fit in well.. wow I thought Holder would be chief dummy spitter. 

Wonder if the ref fined him for his comments to him? Quite easily be and as many have said if you don't like it don't ride here.  As Kelvin said " it's the same for both sides " 

Set up nicely for the Witches on Thursday now... 

As for a last heat deceider like the semi final.... I'd take that any day of the week.... so long as the result is the same :t:

Up the Witches :cheers:

Ps I hope he not needed but I hear Lawson is available to guest on Thursday if needed... :blink:

He cant guest 8 day rule

Edited by foreverblue

10 hours ago, Jonny the spud said:

So how’s that new n° 3 working out at Sheffield? 

I’m sure he will like his new no3 at belle Vue next season 

This is most certainly not over - (some) Witches fans may feel they have one hand on the trophy but there is all to play for. Track has been catching Danyon out all year sadly, he does have a tendancy to drop it just when he is in a scoring position, that seems to be the nature of his style unfortunately. The only decision to my mind the ref got wrong was heat 4

Interesting contrast in the interviews at the end - Pickering who is a great rider in my view was pragmatic and up for the final leg - Lambert just came across as a prima donna who didn't like the fact he hadn't scored more points and had been badly schooled by Doyle and Emil in heats 13 and 15 when he really should be looking to do better. Don't even get the fuss about heat 15 Doyle rode out wide to block the move - something that has been around in speedway racing since it started!!

Even Abby seemed taken a back by Lamberts sourpuss grumpy face interview, come on Robert you are better than this!

The racing at Ipswich will always be different from the Bowl like Owlerton / Belle Vue but there was passing its just that often the Ipwich riders were in front. My preference is to always have tracks like BV and Sheffield but I live in the real world not some the fantasy land that so many seem to inhabit.

from the Ipswich perspective is imperative Doyle and Emil receive backup tomorrow King is capable of riding Sheffield pretty well so his contribution will be important - Pickering will be a major threat he is capable of scoring 10 maybe 12 in this. Lets hope that there is no bottom lip from the losers on Thursday whoever they might be!

Edited by GeneralMelchett
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

Wow Lambert sure is a sore loser!! 
Been completely out classed by two of the best then spits his dummy out on national tv. 

also the only rider all night who didn’t acknowledge the rider who beat him with the custom hand shake down the back straight after the race. What a total tool!

And after he got beat by our riders getting 5 - 1 in heat 15 he actually rode round with them on the after race lap - was he expecting Ipswich fans on the back straight to give him a clap - what an idiot

55 minutes ago, 89buttons said:

Ellis hasn't been good anywhere this season.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, spin king said:

Well its advantage Ipswich.

The plan had to be keep it tight and we managed that for a short while, but wilted in the second part of the meeting.

My view Hume should have been excluded in heat 4, he cause the the tangle between him and Doyle, and luckily he did not cause Doyle injury.

Emil in my opinion did the equivalent of a professional dive in football, but to be honest if it was a Sheffield rider I would want him to do the same.

I am sure that there will be people complaining that a team that finishes 4th in the league are likely win the league, but we all knew the rules when we start season and no one should complain.

For the meeting on Thursday we need the Sheffield spirit of 30th September 2010.

But congratulations Witches you have one hand on the trophy. 

spot on assessment imo :t:

During the TV broadcast, when they went to one of the breaks, they showed odd clips, on one of the clips it showed a riders tank being filled and the colour of the methanol was pink. Have they started putting colouring in methanol? Never seen that before, but it has been a while since I was in and around any pits!

Edited by Mick Bratley