British Speedway Forum

It's a crap line up compared to normal,  but my worry is in the next 5-10 years. Once Doyle/Woffinden/Vaculik/etc start to filter out then we're really struggling. SGP2 this year was dreadful.

8 hours ago, RogerM22 said:

It's a crap line up compared to normal,  but my worry is in the next 5-10 years. Once Doyle/Woffinden/Vaculik/etc start to filter out then we're really struggling. SGP2 this year was dreadful.

Really, seriously.  So you don’t rate  Bewley, Holder, Lambert, Kubera, Cerniak. And of course Drabik and Smektala still have time to fulfil their potential, then we have the likes of Gusts and others in the 19-22 year old class, did you not see Pederson at Vojens…..no18 in the start list performing more than adequately for a 16/17 year old in a senior GP. The future looks really good to me. If you can’t see the potential then perhaps you looking at the wrong sport……try netball or something.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

Just reading the news about it.

It states about a dozen national associations, including the English Football Association, publicly expressed their opposition to playing against Russia if drawn against them at either the men’s competition in Cyprus or the women’s in Sweden next year.                             

That's Russian as a team though - representing their homeland. It's not about people being allowed to compete as authorised neutral competitors - which happens in most sports now. They are punishing two individuals with Polish citizenship in a move that has no bearing at all on Russia.

• Like 2

Tough on the likes of Magic, Dudek and Fricke but its good to see some new faces in the competition.

9 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

Really, seriously.  So you don’t rate  Bewley, Holder, Lambert, Kubera, Cerniak. And of course Drabik and Smektala still have time to fulfil their potential, then we have the likes of Gusts and others in the 19-22 year old class, did you not see Pederson at Vojens…..no18 in the start list performing more than adequately for a 16/17 year old in a senior GP. The future looks really good to me. If you can’t see the potential then perhaps you looking at the wrong sport……try netball or something.

Yes, seriously. You've named 3 riders who are currently good enough to be in the GPs regularly. Jack Holder is 28 at the start of next season, far from retirement, but also not a youngster.

Drabik and Smektala still have time? They're both 26 next year and are nowhere near GP level.

"Gusts and others" - care to name any of the "others"?

I watched Pedersen in Vojens yes, but as I also said the SGP2 was the worst field in many years. Keynan Rew was a race away from winning the thing and yet couldn't get past a 4.00 average in Britain.

Tell me where all this potential is? Maybe netball is a good idea come to think of it.

19 minutes ago, RogerM22 said:

Yes, seriously. You've named 3 riders who are currently good enough to be in the GPs regularly. Jack Holder is 28 at the start of next season, far from retirement, but also not a youngster.

Drabik and Smektala still have time? They're both 26 next year and are nowhere near GP level.

I watched Pedersen in Vojens yes, but as I also said the SGP2 was the worst field in many years. Keynan Rew was a race away from winning the thing and yet couldn't get past a 4.00 average in Britain.

Tell me where all this potential is? Maybe netball is a good idea come to think of it.

Unfortunately for them all  Bart is only 28yrs old and may well still improve  barring injury he could  be around for at least 5 more yrs plus at this level .

Edited by FAST GATER

1 hour ago, RogerM22 said:

The others….. Jan Kvech, Mads Hansen, Ben Basso, Hellstrom-Bangs, Kowalski, Ratajczak, Rew, Dreir, Pollested, Gran, Henriksson, Connor Bailey, Rowe, Blodorn, Hjerrid, Becker, Lindsey. And not all potential stars are listed, some will develop at a different rate.              
Whose to say half of that lot won’t get to Gp standard, so there is plenty of scope

If you remember Vaculik burst on the GP scene with a first outing GP win. Found it tough so about the time Emil got injured Vaculik withdrew from GPs to “mature” as a rider, he said. He would have been about 26 when he came back to the GPs. Doyle was mature when he made it to the GPs. So for some, 26 is not past it.

The future looks bright.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RogerM22 said:

There are few youngsters that will come through though.Zmarlikwill reign for awhile yet though barring injuries or forgetting his race suit .Think Fricke and Janowski wet hard done by but if your not in Top 6 you really can’t complain.There are a few Poles hard done bye by Politics too.

1 hour ago, OveFundinFan said:

The others….. Jan Kvech, Mads Hansen, Ben Basso, Hellstrom-Bangs, Kowalski, Ratajczak, Rew, Dreir, Pollested, Gran, Henriksson, Connor Bailey, Rowe, Blodorn, Hjerrid, Becker, Lindsey. And not all potential stars are listed, some will develop at a different rate.              
Whose to say half of that lot won’t get to Gp standard, so there is plenty of scope

If you remember Vaculik burst on the GP scene with a first outing GP win. Found it tough so about the time Emil got injured Vaculik withdrew from GPs to “mature” as a rider, he said. He would have been about 26 when he came back to the GPs. Doyle was mature when he made it to the GPs. So for some, 26 is not past it.

The future looks bright.

Some of them may well make the GPs one day, but I think it'll be by default for the most part. I agree that not every rider peaks at 21,  but some of those you've listed are barely beyond Championship level currently. 

I stand by my belief that this year's SGP2 was a poor edition. Cierniak was clearly the best rider but let's see how he does as a senior in the Ekstraliga next year.

2 hours ago, RogerM22 said:

Some of them may well make the GPs one day, but I think it'll be by default for the most part. I agree that not every rider peaks at 21,  but some of those you've listed are barely beyond Championship level currently. 

I stand by my belief that this year's SGP2 was a poor edition. Cierniak was clearly the best rider but let's see how he does as a senior in the Ekstraliga next year.

My take on Cierniak, he is fast but lacking experience of racing. Of course that will develop over the next few years. Like wise the other young names I listed. Time will tell who makes GP standard, probably not all in that list, and maybe some that do not look too promising today may in fact make it to the top. We will all have to wait to see how it pans out, but I don’t think today is too much different to previous periods of time.

47 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

My take on Cierniak, he is fast but lacking experience of racing.

:rofl: he's been racing in the top league for last 3 years.

Edited by DazS

7 hours ago, DazS said:

:rofl: he's been racing in the top league for last 3 years.

So, he needs more experience. When he gates he has cracked it. Coming from behind he relies on speed, which is fine. But then you get up against someone going at the same speed or maybe a bit less and you need track craft, that you got to gain through……. Experience.

When Drabik and Smektala ruled in the under 21 championship for a few years I noticed Polish speedway put them up front, they seem a bit more subdued with Cierniak…. maybe for a reason.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

Drabik and Smektala

from same era as Robert lambert, and Kowalski is now doing what cierniak was doing 2 years ago. the thing experience is a life time thing anyway.