British Speedway Forum
Deano

Reading Speedway

With the land unused why aren’t Reading fans badgering the council to force the owners to get themselves up and running again?

4 minutes ago, Deano said:

With the land unused why aren’t Reading fans badgering the council to force the owners to get themselves up and running again?

The council provided land and granted planning permission - realistically what more could they have done?

21 minutes ago, arnieg said:

The council provided land and granted planning permission - realistically what more could they have done?

Why no speedway then?

3 hours ago, Deano said:

Why no speedway then?

Two words:

Gaming

International

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Two words:

Gaming

International

There's that man again!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

Two words:

Gaming

International

Yeah exactly read my first post. Why don’t Reading fans bombard the council. Get these money rich controlling, elderly, cantankerous men out of dictating what goes on in our towns and cities. This isn’t Victorian Britain.

Edited by Deano

2 minutes ago, Deano said:

Yeah exactly read my first post. Why don’t Reading fans bombard the council. Get these money rich controlling, elderly, cantankerous men out of dictating what goes on in our towns and cities.

I don't understand exactly what more you want the council to do?

31 minutes ago, Deano said:

Yeah exactly read my first post. Why don’t Reading fans bombard the council. Get these money rich controlling, elderly, cantankerous men out of dictating what goes on in our towns and cities. This isn’t Victorian Britain.

Where have you been, councils have no money to build stadia and as they own the land unfortunately that’s it.

Edited by Toady

21 minutes ago, Toady said:

Where have you been, councils have no money to build stadia

That’s not what I’m getting at. These guys are dictating our sport. It needs a promoter and fans to request the council  force the hand of these owners to hand this land over for commercial use again. If I was rich enough and bought the whole of Reading and forced everyone out homeless would the council allow me to do it. It seems they would.

• Haha 1

Councils need money, I’m sure they’d welcome the business rates they are missing out on. Perhaps fans don’t want it enough I don’t know.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Deano said:

Councils need money, I’m sure they’d welcome the business rates they are missing out on. Perhaps fans don’t want it enough I don’t know.

I am sure there are plenty of fans would like to see the return of Reading and I know for sure there are at Swindon but unlike at Oxford and Coventry they unfortunately have not got an organised campaign group  needed to keep up the pressure and find a solution. 

4 hours ago, Toady said:

I am sure there are plenty of fans would like to see the return of Reading and I know for sure there are at Swindon but unlike at Oxford and Coventry they unfortunately have not got an organised campaign group  needed to keep up the pressure and find a solution. 

Shame really. After watching the Rugby Council YouTube channel on Brandon Estates appeal, there’s loads of minuted evidence to prove Gaming International (through Clark Osborne) are not what their company name makes them out to be.

I think the council have grounds to cancel the long term lease as tax payers are not getting value for money and GI are not satisfying the Reading voters demand for motorsports (if needed enough).

GI should not be allowed to hold Racers fans and the council to ransom, especially after giving evidence on behalf of BE. It’s the straw that’s broke the camels back.

Edited by Deano
  • Like 1

Is ‘Gaming International’ the holding company that owns Reading speedway?

I visited Smallmead a few times - I can still hear the stadium announcer shouting “The Smallmead Bullet… Daaave Mullett!” - and really enjoyed the racing, so I was disappointed to hear they had ceased to exist a few years ago.

48 minutes ago, Deano said:

Shame really. After watching the Rugby Council YouTube channel on Brandon Estates appeal, there’s loads of minuted evidence to prove Gaming International (through Clark Osborne) are not what their company name makes them out to be.

I think the council have grounds to cancel the long term lease as tax payers are not getting value for money and GI are not satisfying the Reading voters demand for motorsports (if needed enough).

GI should not be allowed to hold Racers fans and the council to ransom, especially after giving evidence on behalf of BE. It’s the straw that’s broke the camels back.

There is no long term lease - Some time in the 90s Bill Dore surrendered it to the council and it was extinguished (or he failed to comply with it, and the council revoked it - take your pick).

Speedway occupied the site under a series of short (7 year?) leases, the last of which expired in 2008.

Option on the new site expired and speedway ceased to be part of council's plans for redeveloping the area. The land was there, the money wasn't.

• Like 1