British Speedway Forum
SpeedwayFan91

Sheffield Tigers vs Ipswich Witches (playoff final 2nd leg) 05/10/23

Maybe the Witches will go one better in 2024 going by the results of the recent premiership winners 

2021 Peterborough beat Belle Vue in the final

2022 Belle Vue  beat Sheffield  in the final

2023 Sheffield beat Ipswich in the final 

So who are Ipswich going to beat in the final in 2024 ?

Edited by scoobydoo

1 hour ago, Endeavour said:

Surprised he got a wild card for GP's over Max Fricke.

Monster! Monster!!!!!!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

Maybe the Witches will go one better in 2024 going by the results of the recent premiership winners 

2021 Peterborough beat Belle Vue in the final

2022 Belle Vue  beat Sheffield  in the final

2023 Sheffield beat Ipswich in the final 

So who are Ipswich going to beat in the final in 2024 ?

Not sure there are anymore teams left to beat.

Well done to Sheffield, felt as though they'd have to make a great start and that's what they got. Ipswich needed someone to back-up Emil and Doyle but nobody really managed to do that. 

It's a shame though that again you have the most important meeting of the season being rushed through in less than ideal conditions. Not sure what the forecast was but if that rain was expected then it would have made sense to postpone until next week.

1 hour ago, hammer1969 said:

I don't think bringing in a guest is the main issue, it's being able to bring in riders that don't ride in the UK all season then when they've finished riding abroad they come back over here for a few meetings to boost their bank balance and their medal cupboard.  Robert Lambert now has winners medals 2 years running from different clubs and years down the line when looking at statistics it will make him look good even though he only played a very small part in those clubs.  The rules need sorting so that Lambert and others can't do the same again next year.

Yes i agree with you, but some rail against a side bringing in a guest then support it when their own club does it. We possibly lost two titles when we were unable to bring in a replacement for Bjerre against Coventry, and the same going against Peterborough without Kurtz. A side cant bring in a guest from another play off team and with our watered down league replacing the likes of a Fricke or Jack Holder is difficult, hence the mercenaries coming in when their Polish season has ended. A side does need to be able to replace their top rider and as there is no squad system its difficult. I wonder if the injured riders also get a medal? If i was Lambert for example i would give my medal to the rider i was replacing, he cant really look back on last season and this with much pride as he played no part at all in the seasons of BV and Sheffield. If Holder and Musielak had been available i think it would have been worse for Ipswich.

2 hours ago, hammer1969 said:

"Pure quality", sorry If you think that's how away team fans should be spoken too, I'd call it "pure ignorance" especially as many the Ipswich fans probably go and support Tai at Cardiff.  

Well done Kyle Howarth (and sort of Sheffield) on last night's medal (last man standing he needs to be named). Just a shame Lewis Kerr wasn't riding as well.

Awww so bitter want a tissue baby?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, orion said:

If the money was decent of course he would have.

I really doubt he would have or at least like to think that, in those days of no doubling up or down, riders were much more aligned to one team and one team alone, bar Swedish league etc.

Cradley fans would have excepted it but if they had subsequently lost you know where the blame would have been directed and likewise I imagine Wolves would not have been happy to see their star rider help their arch rivals and you don’t get bigger than Wolves & Cradley.

1 hour ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

if we go back to our championship days we also lost to Sheffield in the final at foxhall but we allowed the travelling fans to go on the stock car track and the track staff even removed some sections of the speedway fence to allow the travelling supporters to join their team and celebrate. 
in return we get told by a 3x world champion to F##k off. Simply unacceptable. 

Yes all good and well Tigers fans were allowed on centre green at foxhall back in 2017, but you seem to be forgetting the key point there…. Sheffield won that night and Ipswich lost last night so stop being a little b**ch about it and get over it, what was you wanting? To get on track and celebrate with the Sheffield riders??? 

Excellent entertainment, in difficult conditions, a credit to this once great sport. Well done Sheffield, especially Steady, excellent manager, and all the changes they had to make, losing 3 top riders, a massive comeback win. Belle Vue the top team end season with nought. But 3rd. and 4th. placed teams contesting final. Well done Ipswich, cup winners, great watching Sayfutdinov and Doyley, top 2 riders in League.:)

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Endeavour said:

Surprised he got a wild card for GP's over Max Fricke.

perhaps being a triple world champion had a bearing on it ???? 

If Phil Morris is supposed to be sorting out Premiership Speedway then he should start with a behavioural code of practice for all riders - especially with media interviews - and a schedule of punishments if/when they overstep the mark!

2 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

If Phil Morris is supposed to be sorting out Premiership Speedway then he should start with a behavioural code of practice for all riders - especially with media interviews - and a schedule of punishments if/when they overstep the mark!

I had high hopes when the appointment was made that there would be a positive step change in the right direction

Unfortunately it seems that he has simply stepped in line and become complicit in perpetuating the sham

In few no one will remember Tai. He is neither a legend nor a great advertisement for the sport. The real legends are still remembered by many who have since long forgotten about speedway. Ivan Mauger , Ole Olsen, Tony R. Mr Gollob, Barry Briggs, etc. to name but a few. Woffinden is yesterday’s chip paper. 

• Like 1

Mr. Woffinden disgraced himself again ( not for the first time) Last time he attacked a supporter, now he verbally abuses Ipswich on network TV. A very poor advert for the sport, genrating the WRONG type of publicity. 

A "WILD card" nomination for the SGP series is appropriate. 

What with whingeing Lambert (R) on Tuesday and now the swearing Woffinden, our British sports  "stars" really do need to be better educated when speaking to the media. 

• Like 1