British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Triple.H.

Playoff Final

Several hours after the meeting got pulled and still no official word on the club or speedway GB's social media (who didn't even post a meeting preview, which is telling)? What a poor way to end the season and to treat those of us who went along in good faith. I hope Oxford have more success for those who go Tuesday. 

Said the exact same last season, but it sickens me to see how the National League, full of riders learning their craft, get forgotten about until well into October and expected to race on totally unfit tracks that even experienced riders would struggle with.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, JamieE said:

Several hours after the meeting got pulled and still no official word on the club or speedway GB's social media (who didn't even post a meeting preview, which is telling)? What a poor way to end the season and to treat those of us who went along in good faith. I hope Oxford have more success for those who go Tuesday. 

Said the exact same last season, but it sickens me to see how the National League, full of riders learning their craft, get forgotten about until well into October and expected to race on totally unfit tracks that even experienced riders would struggle with.

Probably too scared to post anything as thr backlash will be huge

3 minutes ago, FishersGate said:

Probably too scared to post anything as thr backlash will be huge

The final days of regimes are never their finest ones. Hope that people who have paid money for no return get it refunded without any hassle

2 hours ago, ruckerroo said:

One legged final at Cowley Tuesday now ?? 

The SGB website states that a new date is to be arranged following today’s postponement.

11 minutes ago, Teromaafan said:

The SGB website states that a new date is to be arranged following today’s postponement.

I think they are just quoting what's on the Lion's website. 

I doubt many of us were too surprised at what happened today even though we possibly still retain a capacity for being disappointed. Unfortunately there are not so many of us fans left now to take advantage of as so many have been driven away over the years.

I think the KO Cup should be awarded to Mildenhall as Leicester presumably will have to be sanctioned in some way for failing to complete their fixtures.

As for the Grand Final I guess that it will  be over one leg at Oxford on Tuesday. If that doesn’t take place then I suspect it will go to Leicester for finishing top of the league. Maybe though they’ll do rock, paper, scissors, best of three!

The precedence was set last year so presumably the double header will happen at Lynn some time in November?

• Like 1

The whole idea of the play offs is to build the season to a crescendo and far too often recently it builds to frustration and ultimately chaos without the firm scheduling of Tv contracts to work to.

It's time to abandon play offs unfortunately for anything other than the top league where Tv demands it

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

The precedence was set last year so presumably the double header will happen at Lynn some time in November?

Could there be a triple header to include the Jubilee Trophy?

15 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Over the years there is also plenty of precedence for not completing competitions so I guess they’ll make up whatever suits them at the time.

Edited by WembleyLion

The 2023 season started in march and finishes in October, the Lions race Mondays or Thursdays SO why at this time of the year are they still trying to complete the cubs season? There are plenty of Saturdays between March and October for the cubs to race.

At this time last season I seem to remember the same problem matches to complete, Rain and a track that does not like to let the water head for the drains. 

I love my visits to Leicester, but gave today a miss because I was 99% certain the matches would not go ahead with the amount of rain that has fallen over the past week or so. I think its a poor show by the Leicester management, they know what the track is like and how long it takes to bring back to life after being waterlogged (unless they were hoping for divine intervention this morning by the sunshine fairy :))

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Looking forward to it already

2 hours ago, iainb said:

The whole idea of the play offs is to build the season to a crescendo and far too often recently it builds to frustration and ultimately chaos without the firm scheduling of Tv contracts to work to.

It's time to abandon play offs unfortunately for anything other than the top league where Tv demands it

I get what you're saying. But let's not throw out the baby with the bath water. The nonsense we're now witnessing is not due to having a playoff final between two fine sides that could provide some real entertainment over two legs. It's all down to the lack of any priority being given to the National Development League and to any sense of urgency being given to completing the League competition in good time. For those taking part, especially them and for us faithful fans, the NDL league championship is important.

• Like 1

Alot of the issues were down to some strange choices from a few riders during the practice laps. I think the track was ok but some of the kids decided to go hell bent for leather on thier practice. Jenkins and few others said the track was actually good for racing. Track man also said after a few races the bottom layer of matieral would have come through. Think the riders need take some blame also.