British Speedway Forum
jbell1995

Plymouth Gladiators 2024

21 minutes ago, torpointfanatic22 said:

So it's Covatti, Bowtell, Newman, D Thompson, Barker, J Thompson and Hook - Not the team I'd have thought we'd be putting together and I think we're going to struggle in a lot of heat 13s and 15s both home and away but hopefully, with a strong(ish) reserve pair we can make up for it in other heats. Lots of improvement from the non-heat leaders required!

To be fair you have 3 young riders in the Thompson twins and Hook all capable of progressing next season. 

It’s seems I might be on my own on this one but I reckon signing Covatti has completely transformed this team. I think the Gladiators will put an end to the expectation that they’ll be easy meat on their home turf. 
As long as they remain injury free, the blend of youth and experience plus Garry May’s expertise should see Plymouth top half in 2024. IMO

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Anyone who saw Covatti at the OTA  in 2019 will know what a truly spectacular and special sight he was in full flow. 

Him and Barker in 13 and 15 won't be pushovers and will certainly be entertaining 

Plymouth will have one of if not the best reserve pairings all season based of averages and form so strong in equally key heats 

It's really a case of Newman and Bowtell riding well to support top 2 and the other 3 progressing. 

It's clearly not the awful team some doom mongers are predicting and lots of entertainment Probable. 

Edited by HGould
Spelling
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, foreverblue said:

It looks a really poor team,surprised Howarth hasn't returned.

I’m not surprised

Nico coming in as number 1 presumably means he is on his 2019 Somerset average of 7.82?

Edited by Skidder1

I think it's a really dangerous side. It's not perfect but there's plenty of progression for this team to get better. Super strong at reserve and some steady Eddie's in the side that will score plenty of points. But do they have enough though to go to places like Poole and Glasgow in a play off semi final and win? Not so sure. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, foreverblue said:

It looks a really poor team,surprised Howarth hasn't returned.

According to lewy, a few pages back, who is "in the know" says he is definitely elsewhere.

36 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

According to lewy, a few pages back, who is "in the know" says he is definitely elsewhere.

And I'm correct, Plymouth have confirmed their team. I believe he will be at scunthorpe, time will tell  I guess!

5 hours ago, FishersGate said:

I think it's a really dangerous side. It's not perfect but there's plenty of progression for this team to get better. Super strong at reserve and some steady Eddie's in the side that will score plenty of points. But do they have enough though to go to places like Poole and Glasgow in a play off semi final and win? Not so sure. 

You don't have to win at these tracks to become Champions, just win big at home!

Anyway I'd suggest a mid-table season would be deemed a successful season by most involved with Plymouth.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wee Eck said:

It’s seems I might be on my own on this one but I reckon signing Covatti has completely transformed this team. I think the Gladiators will put an end to the expectation that they’ll be easy meat on their home turf. 
As long as they remain injury free, the blend of youth and experience plus Garry May’s expertise should see Plymouth top half in 2024. IMO

They're certainly not as bad as some are making out. You could argue Plymouth's reserves are on a par with Glasgow's second strings!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, torpointfanatic22 said:

Do we know his starting average? I'm assuming he'll be doubling up then as can't see him coming over just to ride championship.

Won't be doubling up, Birmingham are the only team needing riders, but they're looking for heat leaders.

15 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Won't be doubling up, Birmingham are the only team needing riders, but they're looking for heat leaders.

Teams will get injuries unfortunately, so opportunities will arise. 

3 minutes ago, Tosh1218 said:

Is Howarth set up anywhere ??

?????????

Is Cook, Sedgmen, Pickering, Howarth, MPT, Riss, Batch, Etheridge, J Wright, Thomson, Castagna, Vissing, Clegg, Rowe, Mountain, Kennedy are just a few named from this year. A few more Aussies, Europeans not just from the main countries but France, Czech.