British Speedway Forum
jbell1995

Plymouth Gladiators 2024

I suppose we should look ahead towards next season and hope that our fortunes will change. One thing that may well change will be Saturday night racing in place of Tuesday’s (except for Grand Prix nights) in the hope of a crowd boost with families etc.

Team wise? God only knows! Mark and Garry will be hard at work sounding off ideas with riders I’d imagine. From last season? Realistically I can only see Barker, Pearson and Trigger remaining so it’ll need another rebuild. Pearson was really impressive when he came in towards the end and Trigger was scoring a little more consistently as the season went on and Barker needs no justification really. 

As for other riders, it’ll be interesting what others think… 

2 hours ago, jbell1995 said:

I suppose we should look ahead towards next season and hope that our fortunes will change. One thing that may well change will be Saturday night racing in place of Tuesday’s (except for Grand Prix nights) in the hope of a crowd boost with families etc.

Team wise? God only knows! Mark and Garry will be hard at work sounding off ideas with riders I’d imagine. From last season? Realistically I can only see Barker, Pearson and Trigger remaining so it’ll need another rebuild. Pearson was really impressive when he came in towards the end and Trigger was scoring a little more consistently as the season went on and Barker needs no justification really. 

As for other riders, it’ll be interesting what others think… 

They need to get some more financial backing first - according to Mark Phillips, who is seeking to appoint a Commercial Manager. I'm sure I've seen an advert for an open fans forum soon -  somewhere on Facebook probably.

Edited by Skidder1

I think them 3 will be back I’d happily have Pearson back but the other 2 I’m not so sure maybe I’m being a bit hard on young Ben but older Ben I ask myself is he going to up his average probably not we need someone who will score home and away regularly 8-10 points job of a heat leader I no Ben is a crowd favourite and I might get shot down for my comments but there just my opinion, I’m sure others will have there’s.

1 minute ago, Mike0310 said:

I think them 3 will be back I’d happily have Pearson back but the other 2 I’m not so sure maybe I’m being a bit hard on young Ben but older Ben I ask myself is he going to up his average probably not we need someone who will score home and away regularly 8-10 points job of a heat leader I no Ben is a crowd favourite and I might get shot down for my comments but there just my opinion, I’m sure others will have there’s.

Garry May was sounding out the Thompsons at Poole last week!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Mike0310 said:

I think them 3 will be back I’d happily have Pearson back but the other 2 I’m not so sure maybe I’m being a bit hard on young Ben but older Ben I ask myself is he going to up his average probably not we need someone who will score home and away regularly 8-10 points job of a heat leader I know Ben is a crowd favourite and I might get shot down for my comments but there just my opinion, I’m sure others will have there’s.

I'd say the exact opposite, Barker would be the first name on my team sheet without a doubt. I see no reason why his average would drop, besides you don't need all 7 to up their averages to make the play-offs. Look at Stevie Worrall at Poole for a prime example, Complin dropped his average for Glasgow etc.

Apart from that, it may not be able to sign heat leaders racing on a Saturday night?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, RogerM22 said:

Barker is a decent Championship rider, it's not as if Plymouth are overflowing with options either?

And being related to the promoter probably helps!

20 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Really, we didn't know that:blush:

• Haha 2

On 10/6/2023 at 12:22 PM, Skidder1 said:

Dan Thompson is a Plymouth rider!

• Haha 1

On 10/6/2023 at 8:44 PM, szkocjasid said:

I'd say the exact opposite, Barker would be the first name on my team sheet without a doubt. I see no reason why his average would drop, besides you don't need all 7 to up their averages to make the play-offs. Look at Stevie Worrall at Poole for a prime example, Complin dropped his average for Glasgow etc.

Apart from that, it may not be able to sign heat leaders racing on a Saturday night?

And that’s what I mean about people having there own opinions and I respect yours.

On 10/6/2023 at 1:22 PM, Skidder1 said:

And as Garry likes to tell me never ride for him

7 hours ago, Mike0310 said:

And that’s what I mean about people having there own opinions and I respect yours.

Just make sure you have replacement heat leaders lined up before replacing your current ones lol!

So what came out at last night’s supporters meeting?

On 10/6/2023 at 9:45 PM, Skidder1 said:

You just cant choose your family.

5 hours ago, Dickie Head said:

So what came out at last night’s supporters meeting?

You should have came along, it was an enjoyable evening. :drink: