British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Poole v Glasgow Championship Final 2nd Leg 11/10/23

45 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

It would have made no difference. As soon as Glasgow signed the ringer, the title was theirs.  It made no difference which teams Poole had picked. Glasgow upgraded from a rider lucky to get a couple of points away, to a rider who topped the averages, on what, 9.4? . A second string no hoper to an Extraleague heat leader on a “legit” 5 points. From that moment the title was decided and no team, Oxford or Poole, could compete with a team who had got a huge points injection.

It was “within the rules”, no matter how ridiculous the rules are for allowing an assessed 5 point premier league rider into the Championship in the same average, so Glasgow did nothing wrong, but as a competition, the Championship as a competition was at that moment killed stone dead. 

I know its been difficult for you and I can understand your frustration but thought I'd add some facts to your emotional outbursts. From the BSPL web site, Marcin Nowak's Rolling Average from 14 meetings was 7.16. His real average (not Green Sheet) based on his 10 meetings this year was 6.70. His home average was 6.30 and his away average was 7.25. Now do you really think these are the figures of a "no hoper"?

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, Pinny said:

To be fair , Shovvy said it weeks ago and said it before the second leg. And he has been pretty gracious in defeat I would say. 

And so he should be as Poole down the years have pulled many strokes over the course of a season!!

But nothing like bringing in a 5 point ringer just before the playoffs. Or like when Coventry brought in Shamek then avoided him getting an official average by saying he was sick/injured so he was at reserve for the playoff final and rattled off an 18 max.. Poole just build rock solid teams year after year without the shinanigans. Last year the Premier league became a joke with ringer Lambert coming in for BV. Within the rules but stunk the place out.

Danny and Matt knew the rule was there, though it never should have been. Would they have sacked either Anders or Kyle to bring in Tarasenko? No. There’s winning and there’s winning. Like I have always said, Glasgow did no wrong as it was ridiculously within the rules, but it ended the league comp stone dead back in August.

Edited by Steve Shovlar

2 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

But nothing like bringing in a 5 point ringer just before the playoffs. Or like when Coventry brought in Shamek then avoided him getting an official average by saying he was sick/injured so he was at reserve for the playoff final and rattled off an 18 max.. Poole just build rock solid teams year after year without the shinanigans. Last year the Premier league became a joke with ringer Lambert coming in for BV. Within the rules but stunk the place out.

Danny and Matt knew the rule was there, though it never should have been. Would they have sacked either Anders or Kyle to bring in Tarasenko? No. There’s winning and there’s winning. Like I have always said, Glasgow did no wrong as it was ridiculously within the rules, but it ended the league comp stone dead back in August.

I think Poole are running the club on a tighter budget these days. If Tarasenko was willing to ride for the same money as Rowe or Kyle then absolutely they would of signed him, assuming they knew he was available and able to be signed. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SharpenRake said:

I know its been difficult for you and I can understand your frustration but thought I'd add some facts to your emotional outbursts. From the BSPL web site, Marcin Nowak's Rolling Average from 14 meetings was 7.16. His real average (not Green Sheet) based on his 10 meetings this year was 6.70. His home average was 6.30 and his away average was 7.25. Now do you really think these are the figures of a "no hoper"?

Harsh calling him a no hoper. But that was what he was at Poole. 

2.. Marcin Nowak - 0,0,0 = 0

3 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

You should be suicide watch after last nights defeat.IMO 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pinny said:

I think Poole are running the club on a tighter budget these days. If Tarasenko was willing to ride for the same money as Rowe or Kyle then absolutely they would have signed him, assuming they knew he was available and able to be signed. 

You think Tarasenko was on the same money as Nowak? Treble it and half way there. Big money.

Poole definitely run within budget. Not run to lose money. 

Edited by Steve Shovlar

4 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

You should be suicide watch after last nights defeat.IMO 

Not upset at all as writing was on the wall back in August. 

Edited by Steve Shovlar

1 minute ago, Steve Shovlar said:

You think Tarasenko was on the same money as Nowak? Treble it and half way there. Big money.

Hence why I said Poole are running on a tighter budget these days therefore wouldn't of splashed the cash on him. 

1 minute ago, Pinny said:

Hence why I said Poole are running on a tighter budget these days therefore wouldn't have splashed the cash on him. 

The Glasgow owners are happy to run at a loss. Most other promotions are not. 

I can't add any more reactions but if I could some would have been "likes" and some "laughs" I'll leave it to everyone to work out which comments they would have been for. :t::drink:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Do they though? They own their own stadium and have a healthy crowds well over 1000 a week dont they?

• Like 1

Glasgow don’t run at a loss

The Shovlar is upset that Poole aren’t the biggest club in the league 

And yes they would sack Kyle or Anders for Tarasenko who wouldn’t ….. 

Poole have pulled numerous strokes over the years some outside the rules … Glasgow didn’t act outside the rules 

Fact is Worrall and Lawson let Poole down …. Their scores in both legs weren’t good enough 

10 minutes ago, Pinny said:

Do they though? They own their own stadium and have a healthy crowds well over 1000 a week dont they?

Poole fans who attended Glasgow on Monday said the crowd was about a third of the size of Wimborne Road last night. I wasn’t there to verify but the supporters have no reason to fib. Perhaps the crowd wasn’t huge due to off night?

1 minute ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I guess Glasgow owners wanted to win desperately and saw this Russian chap as the golden ticket, agreed he didn't win it on his own but allowed Brennan to go at 2 making their 1 & 2 very strong and by all accounts they are quite rich no idea what they do but it allowed them to pay his wages which I assume we're quite substantial.Still they won and to be fair some of their riders were quick away from the start which looked like a bucket of slop on the live feed.We move on and we've still got a trophy and one more final to go.We made 3 finals this year still lots to celebrate and I'm sure the Ford's will build a good side next season I just hope all the other teams do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Poole definitely run within budget. Not run to lose money. 

So how would you know how much a club is paying any of its riders sounds like BS to me.  Don’t worry a few more days on your medication and you will feel better 

• Like 2