British Speedway Forum
Midget

Workington 2024

1 hour ago, paul84 said:

I’d be happy with Adam Roynon in the team, plenty of experience and will get us a few points. Yes I’m aware he’s not the rider he used to be but he’s still worthy of a team place especially on his average.

NO a bit long in the tooth and the last few years despite a talent failed to show scoring ability,  and often on poor equipment 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Neila said:

NO a bit long in the tooth and the last few years despite a talent failed to show scoring ability,  and often on poor equipment 

I’ve often wondered how fans would know riders are on poor equipment???……

3 minutes ago, ragdoll64 said:

I’ve often wondered how fans would know riders are on poor equipment???……

Last year in the NDL and in the championship at reserve Adam should have been cleaning up at Edinburgh /Poole and away, with all his experience and knowledge of various tracks, but struggled to score many points and was well off the pace at times, so points to under powered equipment if the riders has lots of experience 

3 minutes ago, Neila said:

Last year in the NDL and in the championship at reserve Adam should have been cleaning up at Edinburgh /Poole and away, with all his experience and knowledge of various tracks, but struggled to score many points and was well off the pace at times, so points to under powered equipment if the riders has lots of experience 

Also the numerous horrendous injuries will have taken its toll.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neila said:

More likely just on a downward spiral due to age, fitness, confidence and as Gazc says, injuries. I was talking in general anyway…..when people say such things about riders like “if he was on better equipment” or “he’s riding a lawnmower” etc.  How the hell do they know the equipment is inferior and it’s not just the rider who’s not performing?

Roynon is not the answer when you’ve built such a good team. Nice guy, but it’d be merely sentimental.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, ragdoll64 said:

More likely just on a downward spiral due to age, fitness, confidence and as Gazc says, injuries. I was talking in general anyway…..when people say such things about riders like “if he was on better equipment” or “he’s riding a lawnmower” etc.  How the hell do they know the equipment is inferior and it’s not just the rider who’s not performing?

I've been following speedway since 1970, never missed a season despite comets not being about, you can often tell its mechanical by the sound of the bikes, either reving or not getting traction when going round the bends  sometimes they sound flat as a pancake, as the saying goes, if a highly tuned bike is slightly off for whatever reason you can often hear it,  maybe the rider can't afford or does not want to get the engine serviced / tuned to improve things, so just battles on 

30 minutes ago, scaramanga said:

im sure something was said last year adam did not have the money to spend on bikes to make them reliable 

It’s a sad reflection on the modern sport these days , so much engine tuning etc . I remember Colin Goody turning up with a battered old bike in the back of his ford anglia , and he still won races , including beating Mauger at his peak . Track craft counted for more then 

2 hours ago, Neila said:

I've been following speedway since 1970, never missed a season despite comets not being about, you can often tell its mechanical by the sound of the bikes, either reving or not getting traction when going round the bends  sometimes they sound flat as a pancake, as the saying goes, if a highly tuned bike is slightly off for whatever reason you can often hear it,  maybe the rider can't afford or does not want to get the engine serviced / tuned to improve things, so just battles on 

Ok……..but the symptoms you describe can also be due to wrong set up……but I get what you’re saying and it’s not bad for someone who’s been following speedway for six years less than me………lol  :)

13 hours ago, FishersGate said:

Could Max Clegg sign ? Think his average is higher than I thought but in a weaker league he could be a smart signing 

Personally think he'd be a terrible choice, signing a 2.7 rider on a 4.1 average.

I'd personally pick: Borke, Proctor, MacDonald, Roynon or Nielsen before Clegg.

Edited by szkocjasid

12 hours ago, Tosh1218 said:

Don’t know what’s left for the comets for the last riders but for me Zaine Kennedy  would be a good shout on a low average 

Would be a good signing imo, my "dream team" of Cook, Palm-Toft, Vissing, Vuolas, Zischke, Kennedy & McGurk comes to 38.04, would fit if Kennedy gets a reduction for missing a season due to injury?

12 hours ago, Gazc said:

I watched Adam Roynon at Glasgow and second half juniors were faster.

I would steer clear better out there.

Who's better out there on Roynon's average?

I'm not sure I understand the arguments against Roynon i.e "a shadow of his former self" or "past his best" etc - of course these statements are true, you'd be signing him as a reserve! If he wasn't "past his best" he wouldn't fit in under the points limit.

I think I made a similar comment about Iversen at Lynn, people saying he's not a top rider any more & I'm thinking "but you're signing him as a 3rd heat leader / second string"

I suppose it would carry more weight if people suggested stronger alternatives? It's very easy to say he's no good without suggesting who'd be better.

• Like 1