British Speedway Forum
Midget

Workington 2024

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, HARLEY11A said:

Vissing is ok or Hans Andersen on 6.32 av.

Yep. Hans is the perfect signing. Just need everyone to climb aboard the De Lorean in back to the future, turn the clock to 2010, then you have a championship winning team. 

Seriously, Cook, Batchelor and Vissing, if he is the missing link, have no improvement in them. You have Antti Vuolas 5.0 and Tate Zischke 5.00 who look good prospects, and a team needs riders who can improve. I wish Workington a successful season with good crowds, good racing and goodwill.  But the touted team won’t get near the playoffs. The inclusion of Celina Leibman is great for publicity but seriously? Would Englands best female player get a team place at Swindon Town or Wigan? 

Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Yep. Hans is the perfect signing. Just need everyone to climb aboard the De Lorean in back to the future, turn the clock to 2010, then you have a championship winning team. 

Ah yes 2010... When Tate was 5, Sam was 4, Celina was 9 and Antti was 11. Plenty of youth in the team :D

Not a fan of Craig or Troy... Could both go either way but hopefully they can keep focused... Wide open track like that should suit them both, hope it's slick :rofl:

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Diamonds85 said:

Ah yes 2010... When Tate was 5, Sam was 4, Celina was 9 and Antti was 11. Plenty of youth in the team :D

Not a fan of Craig or Troy... Could both go either way but hopefully they can keep focused... Wide open track like that should suit them both, hope it's slick :rofl:

I was writing about your top three. If Cook has sorted out his personal issues, and Batchelor is in the mood, the team has a decent chance of winning some home meetings, but not against the top sides in the league. The Workington track is big and wide, so no fear for away riders even on their first visit. The reserves are desperately weak in my opinion. But there are weaker sides. Berwick, Edinburgh, Plymouth.

Edited by Steve Shovlar

No I was hoping it was not Troy reading some posts earlier. He is well past his best and former he certainly is.

Hard to work with to going of a few past clubs stories so with our young novice team manager who has only looked after the kids team. He gonna have his work cut out looking after the young lads our female rider then Cooke and Troy.

Very strange signing will win heats when he Gates but if not will be just taking the piss at the back.

Steve yes no were your going , but in this watered down campion L ,  i would hope they could hold there average or up by 1 point.

Just now, HARLEY11A said:

Steve yes no were your going , but in this watered down campion L ,  i would hope they could hold there average or up by 1 point.

They might up their average in a weaker league, however riders from other clubs will also think they can up theirs as well. Riders like Batch and of his age/career tend to play the percentage game. Score 8 with no risk, don’t chase down the rider in front and therefore don’t get injured = regular pay packet.  Push for those extra points =risk = injury and pain, no earnings and weeks out.  Younger riders don’t think that way, take the risk and progress (or face time out injured!). Tate should be the rider everyone should be watching in that team, like Ben Basso was at Poole a couple of seasons ago.  

Might come up when Poole visit, though hoping BSN  are there!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, H20 said:

No I was hoping it was not Troy reading some posts earlier. He is well past his best and former he certainly is.

Hard to work with to going of a few past clubs stories so with our young novice team manager who has only looked after the kids team. He gonna have his work cut out looking after the young lads our female rider then Cooke and Troy.

Very strange signing will win heats when he Gates but if not will be just taking the piss at the back.

Let’s wait and see.

Yes the novice may struggle managing this team. Let’s see how the Team Manager deals with it. If he is anything like his businessman Grandad then he will be ruthless. He wasn’t afraid to upset a few. 

Can’t wait for March. Worky worky.

1 hour ago, iainb said:

I'm a bit nervous for you with everyone really... there's a lot of question marks in that Worky line-up

A lot?

Think you mean 2 honestly

i see young denham similar manager to ritchie hawkings   i know ritchie rode  but chris louis is no mug hes always there to over see things 

just like steve lawson is always there  for advice 

What was alternative really for worky? Sedgy I wouldn't have as a no.2, riss allegedly giving UK a miss, Richie banned. Can't think of anyone else around that average is/ was available. Will no doubt be inconsistent but guess say that about every Workington sighing, what makes them so intriguing going into the season

if workington go through the season and it pays its own way i see that as a good season then the new riders will be club assets and be stronger for 2025 

no one wants to finish bottom of league and get hammered at home   but if they have good racing and decent crowd then ill be happy enough 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, CTD26 said:

A lot?

Think you mean 2 honestly

You're right, I should have said all!

4 riders on assessed averages, 3 of which have not raced in Britain (regularly) before

Cook, big question mark whether his head is still in it... and Batch for that matter.

There's really no forecasting how that team will perform!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Seriously, Cook, Batchelor and Vissing, if he is the missing link, have no improvement in them. You have Antti Vuolas 5.0 and Tate Zischke 5.00 who look good prospects, and a team needs riders who can improve. I wish Workington a successful season with good crowds, good racing and goodwill.  But the touted team won’t get near the playoffs. The inclusion of Celina Leibman is great for publicity but seriously? Would Englands best female player get a team place at Swindon Town or Wigan? 

I have to disagree & say there is improvement in all 3 of them, Cook was going great till the crash that injured the photographer, Vissing averaged 7.07 for Glasgow but carrying his Birmingham scores, drops that to 6.24. Batchelor probably had the least improvement in him, but he's shown he's a ok "3rd heat leader" at Oxford & Birmingham, in a weaker league could be a "2nd heat leader".

• Like 1

I like the look of the Workington team, BUT it is the sort of team that could get hammered away, especially early on while the new foreigners get used to the UK tracks. But you could say the same for Oxford, their bottom 4 could all score 0 away from home on a bad day!

As for Batchelor, if he can get a 7.16 average when he apparently "can't be bothered" think what average he could get if he "can be bothered".

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I was writing about your top three. If Cook has sorted out his personal issues, and Batchelor is in the mood, the team has a decent chance of winning some home meetings, but not against the top sides in the league. The Workington track is big and wide, so no fear for away riders even on their first visit. The reserves are desperately weak in my opinion. But there are weaker sides. Berwick, Edinburgh, Plymouth.

If Celina doesn't ride to her average, then Workington have used up 6 points for a weaker reserve pairing, while other clubs will have only used 4-5 points. So they'd need improvement from Vuolas & Zischke to cover that.

It's so hard to know what she'll do, as opinions on her ability differ greatly.

Edited by szkocjasid