British Speedway Forum

53 minutes ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

I hope I'm wrong but can't see Thomsen lasting and feel he will struggle, this signing is a massive gamble. Personally I would have gone with Stefan Nielsen on a 3.75 average, yes has a history of getting injured but at Poole as a second string in a weaker league he would have scored well. He would have also scored well away from home I'm sure. Let's see if he turns up in the championship to start the season as feel someone will snap him up quick to replace riders not performing! 

I think Nielsen would be a bigger gamble, if his average drops to 3.00, far less alternatives available. Thomsen can't drop below 4.00, so I don't see that as a gamble really, if he's awful can sign another 4.00 rider (& repeat till 75% of the fixtures are raced) or even Nielsen then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fozzie4388 said:

He hasn't packed it in, Just yet . He's got a job outside of Speedway now but he'd still be willing to give speedway a go if the call was made.

Glad to hear. I've got a lot of time for the lad.

I'd like to see him back at Poole at some stage.

Kyle Newman's testimonial meeting now brought forward to Weds 13th March due to a clash with Premiership Launch media day on 20th!

Not yet updated on official fixture lists, but advised on FB.

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Kyle Newman's testimonial meeting now brought forward to Weds 13th March due to a clash with Premiership Launch media day on 20th!

Not yet updated on official fixture lists, but advised on FB.

10 weeks tomorrow then 

47 minutes ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

When was the last season that Poole haven’t hosted a testimonial ? Apart from the Covid year 

The stock reply to that jason is its because every rider wants to hold their testimonial at Poole haha 

6 hours ago, poole keith said:

The stock reply to that jason is its because every rider wants to hold their testimonial at Poole haha 

My thoughts exactly

21 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

My thoughts exactly

They've got one helluva asset list!:t:

It always seems to get talked about every winter. Here is the answer from the horses mouth as it were .

“I know a few Poole supporters were hoping that we would go up (to the Premiership).

“But we’ve already stated our reasons for being in the Championship a million times. Fixed race nights simply don’t work for us at Poole.

“A Monday and a Thursday would be a huge financial risk for us. I know there was some comments about that, so I just wanted to address that.

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/24025264.danny-ford-oxford-speedway-running-three-teams-2024-season/?ref=suit&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Saw these averages posted on the Workington thread:

Tobias Thomsen (8.64)

Sam Jensen (8.42)

Kasper Andersen (8.33)

Given Jensen & Andersen have averaged above 4 in tougher Championship seasons, I can see why Poole went for Thomsen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Saw these averages posted on the Workington thread:

Tobias Thomsen (8.64)

Sam Jensen (8.42)

Kasper Andersen (8.33)

Given Jensen & Andersen have averaged above 4 in tougher Championship seasons, I can see why Poole went for Thomsen.

Hopefully prove better than I predicted.

17 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

It always seems to get talked about every winter. Here is the answer from the horses mouth as it were .

“I know a few Poole supporters were hoping that we would go up (to the Premiership).

“But we’ve already stated our reasons for being in the Championship a million times. Fixed race nights simply don’t work for us at Poole.

“A Monday and a Thursday would be a huge financial risk for us. I know there was some comments about that, so I just wanted to address that.

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/24025264.danny-ford-oxford-speedway-running-three-teams-2024-season/?ref=suit&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

He doesn't say why it would not work for Poole. I am sure the fans would turn up whatever day we were racing.

On 1/1/2024 at 2:45 PM, Catalan said:

Glad to hear. I've got a lot of time for the lad.

I'd like to see him back at Poole at some stage.

He is a nice guy and a good rider on his day but has had quite a few injuries so maybe taking a bit of time out of the sport. I hope he returns one day.

2 hours ago, foreverblue said:

He doesn't say why it would not work for Poole. I am sure the fans would turn up whatever day we were racing.

Have to agree,obviously it's matt ford's decision and he can do as he wishes,cant believe poole fans are so fickle that they wouldn't turn out on a mon or thurs especially considering the quality riders in the prem compared to what some would call average fare in division two.if he did ever take over at  coventry you can be certain it would be top flight only!!

1 hour ago, poole keith said:

Have to agree,obviously it's matt ford's decision and he can do as he wishes,cant believe poole fans are so fickle that they wouldn't turn out on a mon or thurs especially considering the quality riders in the prem compared to what some would call average fare in division two.if he did ever take over at  coventry you can be certain it would be top flight only!!

MF stated at the SOS enquiry that Coventry (with him as Promoter) would start in the Championship with a view to going Premiership later if crowds responded.

As far as Poole going Mon/Thurs, it didnt work that well in the 2018 or 2019 top league despite Poole always winning or challenging for the top spot!