British Speedway Forum
Spidvej

Wolves last meeting at Monmore 23rd October

I agree, Monmore was never one of my favourite tracks but it did offer some interesting meetings and it’s a sad loss to the sport in the UK.

I think Dave Parry deserves a mention what wonderful supporter of the sport and Wolves in particular he has been, there are not many like him !

Edited by FAST GATER
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, FAST GATER said:

I think Dave Parry deserves a mention what wonderful supporter of the sport and Wolves in particular he has been, there are not many like him !

I was surprised he wasn't interviewed, was he there/did I miss it?

4 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

As I drove out of the gates last night, it really hit home, I was born within a mile of Monmore Green, my family brought me up on the terraces at Monmore Green, I raced my first laps of my career at Monmore Green, I met my Mrs on the terraces of Monmore Green, I saw my all time hero Sam Ermolenko at Monmore Green and I’ve met 1000s of people who I call friends at Monmore Green, I hope a new piece of land can be found for a new track but it will never be Monmore Green, a million memories have just been crushed by corporate greed (again) for me last night the heart of Wolverhampton as a city stopped beating and it hurts 

Great Post, I'm from Ettingshall originally and the sound of the bikes on a Friday night got me intruiged, my Dad agreed to take me as "they've got a bloke called Ole Olsen who is pretty good apparently..."

I was hooked, great times, good friends made 

Edited by noaksey
  • Like 4

42 minutes ago, noaksey said:

I was surprised he wasn't interviewed, was he there/did I miss it?

Yes he was upstairs in restaurant 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

I agree, Monmore was never one of my favourite tracks but it did offer some interesting meetings and it’s a sad loss to the sport in the UK.

This! Never a track that I thought suited racing compared to most but always an interesting battle against Wolves. Very sad day 

Never liked the track or the fans to be honest. 

Tribal loyalty though goes out if the window when the chips are down. 

I genuinely feel for those who loved the team, loved the track and loved their nights out there. 

As others have said its about lifetime memories, friends and relatives no longer here and the massive big hole left behind. 

Hopefully they can find a new home, I 100% hope they do. 

I’m now anti greyhound racing, I want it banned, it’s cruel for the dogs, on top of that gambling destroys millions of lives, I want that stopped too 

• Like 1

Sad, very sad. Went there many times in the 70s & 80s. Jubilee meeting and the Superbike 6 event in 78, Brum's first BL away win in 79 and the 4TT finals in 80 were probably the standouts for me. 

Hope Wolves are successful in their search of a new home, good luck. We don't want to see their fans suffering for years like Cradley's have.

I'll agree with The Dean Machine on that! Entain have boasted that from 2024 onwards, their "customers" can walk into a betting shop and watch a greyhound race from one of their stadia,  "every few minutes throughout the day." No wonder the country has such a huge problem with gambling.

Is there no end to the avaricious greed of these people?

Good luck to the Wolves in their quest to find an alternative venue. It's no easy task as we all know, but if anyone can work the oracle, CVS can!

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

I’m now anti greyhound racing, I want it banned, it’s cruel for the dogs, on top of that gambling destroys millions of lives, I want that stopped too 

Ironically if Entain were able to have betting at speedway, CVS would probably be having a lucrative contract waved under his nose.....