British Speedway Forum
longmeadow

Promoters Conference

On 11/12/2023 at 2:57 PM, truthsayer said:

Totally, this really is no big deal.

I don't think the optics are great, but really it's not important.

- it's their money

- the cost, in the grand scheme of running a speedway club is tiny

If they think going away for a business is worthwhile then who am I to disagree. Not how I would conduct things in 2023, but not my money.

It won't put any clubs out of business.

They should be improving be improving facilities or reducing admission prices - so it isn't theirs to just squander.  As long as they treat it as a hobby and a plaything the sport will never be professional and never come out of it's nosedive into oblivion with only 2 or 3 teams left.  It's Mickey Mouse.  They haven't a clue how to conduct themselves.

On 11/12/2023 at 4:38 PM, RoundTheBoards said:

If it was in the UK he'd be whinging because it would cost a lot more.

I could book a flight to Tenerife now for £58 return.  (Had I booked in advance weeks ago I could get that down to £31 return).   To drive to Rugby and back would cost approx £80 in petrol.

For a three-day conference in Rugby, travelling each day, that would be £240 of petrol.  Or I could book a hotel for 2 nights at maybe £80 per night in a budget hotel, so that's still a total of £240.  Then the BSPL would have to hire a room in ACU house for 3 days.  Split between 20 or so promoters that probably only adds an extra £20 or so.

Two nights in one of Tenerife's numerous hotels is going to cost less than trying to find a Premier Inn in Coventry.   So overall it's considerably cheaper to go to Tenerife.

That's just the biggest load of rubbish.  Tenerife is not cheap.  Prices in November in the Canaries are also much dearer than in summer and certainly much more expensive than in the UK.  That's just plain fact.  And the reported thousand quid per head for 3 days equates to about £2k per head per week - that's far from cheap.

In any case, there's no need for it to be in Tenerife.  It's ridiculous.  If they want to have a holiday jolly then go with their wives and families same as everybody else.

They should be business-like and focus on the matters in hand, not having a holiday jolly.  It's Mickey Mouse and unprofessional.  They haven't a clue how to be professional or how to conduct themselves.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, GS550 said:

They should be improving be improving facilities or reducing admission prices - so it isn't theirs to just squander.  As long as they treat it as a hobby and a plaything the sport will never be professional and never come out of it's nosedive into oblivion with only 2 or 3 teams left.  It's Mickey Mouse.  They haven't a clue how to conduct themselves.

If they used the £1k to reduce admission prices that would be about 2p per meeting per person based on 1,000 attendance. 

On 11/12/2023 at 5:16 PM, Tinker said:

Well said RoundTheBoards.

Some people just moan for the sake of it. Two or three days in Tenerife is no big deal. As long as the promoters have utilised their time wisely then there should be nothing to complain about.

Also, quite a few of the promoters seem to get a fair bit of stick but at least they're keeping the sport going. If they weren't around who would be there to replace them??

I don't grudge anybody a holiday.  I go to the Canaries.  But there's a time and a place.  And it isn't when I'm dealing with anything work related.

Contrary to the nonsense spouted about being cheap, the fact is it is not cheap.  Even choosing the "lowest prices first" option shows that flights, accommodation and holiday prices have gone through the roof the last few years.  And its certainly way past the cost of having a meeting in the UK by a long long way.  But it isn't about the money, its the principle.  These jokers expect riders to professional and committed, yet they don't do it themselves.  They discipline Boxall and R Worrall for indulging in recreational etc while on the job, yet they're indulging themselves when they should be business-like and focussed.  Its ridiculous.  They have no idea how to be professional and business-like and how to conduct themselves.

8 minutes ago, GS550 said:

That's just the biggest load of rubbish.  Tenerife is not cheap.  

Go on Einstein.  Show us how £80 of petrol to and from Rugby for 3 days is cheaper than a £31 flight to Tenerife.   :icon_smile_clown:

7 minutes ago, Sir Sidney said:

If they used the £1k to reduce admission prices that would be about 2p per meeting per person based on 1,000 attendance. 

Fine.  It's the principle.

2 minutes ago, RoundTheBoards said:

Go on Einstein.  Show us how £80 of petrol to and from Rugby for 3 days is cheaper than a £31 flight to Tenerife.   :icon_smile_clown:

Less of the derisory name calling.  Not clever.

The principle stinks to high heaven.  There is simply no need for it to be in Tenerife.

5 minutes ago, GS550 said:

I don't grudge anybody a holiday.  I go to the Canaries.  But there's a time and a place.  And it isn't when I'm dealing with anything work related.

Contrary to the nonsense spouted about being cheap, the fact is it is not cheap.  Even choosing the "lowest prices first" option shows that flights, accommodation and holiday prices have gone through the roof the last few years.  And its certainly way past the cost of having a meeting in the UK by a long long way.  But it isn't about the money, its the principle.  These jokers expect riders to professional and committed, yet they don't do it themselves.  They discipline Boxall and R Worrall for indulging in recreational etc while on the job, yet they're indulging themselves when they should be business-like and focussed.  Its ridiculous.  They have no idea how to be professional and business-like and how to conduct themselves.

Can you provide a full cost breakdown of your holiday to the Canaries please? :D

22 minutes ago, GS550 said:

Are you on the wind up, or smoking something ? I run a business, but also go on holiday. The profit from my business pays for my holiday, but it's only the same as holiday pay for someone who works for a company.

3 minutes ago, GS550 said:

Less of the derisory name calling.  Not clever.

The principle stinks to high heaven.  There is simply no need for it to be in Tenerife.

That deflection twaddle would be a "No" then to my question.    You couldn't get all the promoters from all over the country to drive to Rugby for less than the cost of a £31 flight to Tenerife.

Just now, iainb said:

Can you provide a full cost breakdown of your holiday to the Canaries please? :D

I know you're peddling a joke that's worn thin long since but none of us needs any o' that stuff.  We all know what's happening here.  The BSPA of old were shamed into stopping the practice of going off to such as Tenerife which is why they've held it in Rugby for years now.  That stigma hasn't changed.  It's time they cottoned themselves on, became professional and business-like about it and got on with the job at Rugby.  And then go off on holidays, booze trips sun sea and sangria to their heart's content.

18 minutes ago, RoundTheBoards said:

I certainly found Tenerife cheap enough 4 weeks ago:)

3 minutes ago, proud panther said:

Are you on the wind up, or smoking something ? I run a business, but also go on holiday. The profit from my business pays for my holiday, but it's only the same as holiday pay for someone who works for a company.

Are you on a wind up or smoking something?

You run a business.  Good for you.  Do you think you're the only one that's ever had a business.

As far as BSPL is concerned, they should be concentrating on being professional and business-like and dealing with the problems in the sport.

The BSPA of old were shamed into stopping going off to such as Tenerife.  Which is why they had the meetings at Rugby for years.  It's time they reverted to same.

As regards the money spent - they should be using it to improve facilities or reducing admission prices, that would be the decent and professional thin to do.  Otherwise they are cheating the paying public.

Again, they haven't a clue how to be professional and business-like and how to conduct themselves.

5 minutes ago, GS550 said:

I know you're peddling a joke that's worn thin long since but none of us needs any o' that stuff.  We all know what's happening here.  The BSPA of old were shamed into stopping the practice of going off to such as Tenerife which is why they've held it in Rugby for years now.  That stigma hasn't changed.  It's time they cottoned themselves on, became professional and business-like about it and got on with the job at Rugby.  And then go off on holidays, booze trips sun sea and sangria to their heart's content.

Where I am at a loss with your argument is understanding whether you are saying no British company should hold its AGM abroad, or just that the BSPL shouldn't because you think they are unprofessional and just off on a booze up.

Personally I have no issue with them holding it abroad, because if just one decision is made that benefits from them all being there and focused on matters in hand, then it will have been worthwhile. 

However, given the general lack of trust in them from supporters, it doesn't show much reading of the room to know they might get some flack. 

Can somebody please answer my original question. I started this thread as a serious post but all ive heard is talk of hob knobs and the price of flights to tenerife. All i wont to know is when is the agm

• Haha 1