British Speedway Forum
Col

Brummies 2024...

5 minutes ago, Crazy robin said:

Wasn’t it Shamek who rode for Coventry & Poole not Piotr as the press release states??

They both rode for both. 

8 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Could've been worse? Zagar was rumoured !

Zagar is probably as good as if not better than Milik.

7 minutes ago, Col said:

Or as bad as ? :D

Think you're right...I've just checked Milik's position in last seasons European Champs and he's lower than Ellis....plus many others....'Oh Dear'!

Edited by GiveusaB

7 minutes ago, Col said:

More consistent.IMO.well past his best though.

Edited by Fromafar

17 hours ago, Petecc said:

Wow, 72 pages of mostly people complaining about the goings on if Birmingham speedway. 

To those who complain and don't even go to meetings, why are to bothering to complain. To those who do go to meetings give the club a chance,  I'm sure all are trying their hardest to make a successful club. No one signs a rider expecting to fail. Let's Hope for another 72 pages of positive comments when the last 2 riders are signed.  Now cue the anger from those who think I'm a fool.:D

With the last two riders now being named, it’s timely to reply:

I think the majority of speedway supporters want Birmingham to survive but are concerned that a poor team will lead to poor crowds and closure, as happened a couple of years ago with Newcastle.

Both teams are similar in that there was a change of ownership and the new owners thought they could do better. Rob Grant effectively got rid of people who could have helped him, Nigel Tolley should have got rid of some of the old guard who lacked the ability to move the club forward. 

Worse than that, he has employed a team manager with little or no managerial experience and little credibility when it comes to attracting riders. In my opinion.

Alun Rossiter’s name was being mentioned for the role back in November and I do believe it was a huge mistake not finding a way to sign him up rather than Sam Ermolenko. He has a proven managerial track record and still carries a degree of credibility greater than Sam. 

These are my views - I want to see a competitive Birmingham team on track, one which encourages and rewards the loyal supporters. The proposed 1-7 isn’t it.

Neither of today’s announced riders is on the way up. Milik looked great riding for Poole 10 years ago but just hasn’t progressed since then. Pawlicki was always hit and miss but seemed to have stood still for some years - perhaps the broken femur in 2017 held him back?

Speedway wants Birmingham and Birmingham speedway needs supporters. But the majority of supporters won’t continue to follow a losing team as nothing leaves a worse taste in the mouth than losing at home. I wish the team nothing but success - but suspect my wishes will go unheeded. 

Despite the general negativity on here, thank goodness for the loads of positive comments on particularly Facebook! 

Haven't checked the other social platforms.

It looks a decent solid team and on a 'Track by Terry' they should do well.

Edited by Skidder1

Ekstraliga stats:
Patryk Dudek 1,763
Piotr Pawlicki 1.701
Andrzej Lebedev 1,697
Vadim Tarasenko    1,692
Bartosz Smektała 1,654
Jaimon Lindsey 1,634
Vaclav Milik 1,597

It's an achievement to have assembled the 1-7 by the end of January after having had to start from scratch. 

This type of team is going to depend on a strong collective spirit to develop quickly, and that will be a challenge although the ex-Wolves contingent should bring some cohesion with them. So it will be vital for the three "newcomers" to buy-in and not just regard this an an additional commitment in their diaries. Hopefully the Brum management have some possible replacements in case it doesn't work out.

The team manager in this sort of situation is a vital cog with people management skills one of a large set of essential ones. I hope Mr Ermolenko and others are up to the task. 

The role of LUCK is also going to be amplified in this scenario, including how it is handled when and if the luck is of the negative type.

So I wish lots of good luck to Birmingham. I've a feeling you'll need some.

2 hours ago, LagutaRacingFan said:

Rubbish.

Laguta was waiting for a phone call.

Who from, his hair stylist? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, szkocjasid said:

It actually suits Birmingham for their riders to be on these averages rather than Pawlicki (7.32), Milk (5.67) & Lampart (5.00) as it means if anyone is missing they'll be able to use stronger guests or r/r. Plus Z.Cook at reserve could be a real trump card.

However I don't understand how they can increase the averages of Pawlicki & Milik, but decrease Janowski's, while Pedersen, Kasprzak & Woffinden returned on their old averages. Should rules not be consistent for all?

….and this shows the depths we have stooped to, when a team signs some riders they are expecting to be missing that they are already checking to see if Chris Harris’ average fits and if he can guest.

I’m a big fan of shared roles in teams. Teams should have been able to have one shared position in a team, if they wished. That would have likely opened the flood gates abit more for the likes of Laguta and not make Milik etc seem a poor signing. 

I often think that Sweden is a much better gauge for how they are likely to perform in the UK. Piotr could be a cracking signing although he’s liable to a crash or two. Milik had big promise about 10 years ago but has failed to live up to that and I’ll be amazed if he averages above 7.

I hoped for speedways and Birmingham's sake that the Brummies could have a succesful year but 2.59 under the points limit........ not good. 

Fear not for the negative Brummies fans, plenty room for a mid season Robert Lambert signing. And for those having hissyfits........ Im sure it will be such a shame for you to be seeing top tier racing this season. Be grateful your team is still running. 

38 minutes ago, Najjer said:

I often think that Sweden is a much better gauge for how they are likely to perform in the UK.

Elitserien Stats

Daniel Bewley 2,000
Piotr Pawlicki 1,957
Brady Kurtz 1,605

Niels-Kristian Iversen 1,412
Vaclav Milik 1,406
David Bellego 1,385

18 minutes ago, Col said:

Elitserien Stats

Daniel Bewley 2,000
Piotr Pawlicki 1,957
Brady Kurtz 1,605

Niels-Kristian Iversen 1,412
Vaclav Milik 1,406
David Bellego 1,385

Assuming all have had the same number of meetings/heats ?

31 minutes ago, Wardey said:

Fear not for the negative Brummies fans, plenty room for a mid season Robert Lambert signing. And for those having hissyfits........ Im sure it will be such a shame for you to be seeing top tier racing this season. Be grateful your team is still running. 

Comments like this are why Speedway is in a mess.....