British Speedway Forum
bloom89

SGB Championship 2024 Confirmed Signings

27 minutes ago, RoundTheBoards said:

Not worth the extra hassle unless you're earning big and then the benefits aren't massive.  I think it's only this year that Woffinden and Bewley started limited companies.  

I would have thought all those riders sponsored by those accountants (is it stava, or something like that) would be limited. It shouldn't really be any hassle if the accountant does all the work for a few of points of earnings. If you've got a decent accountant they'll probably pay for themselves. Chris Harris used to be limited, assume he still is. It'd be interesting to know though. 

Edited by iainb

41 minutes ago, iainb said:

I would have thought all those riders sponsored by those accountants (is it stava, or something like that) would be limited. It shouldn't really be any hassle if the accountant does all the work for a few of points of earnings. If you've got a decent accountant they'll probably pay for themselves. Chris Harris used to be limited, assume he still is. It'd be interesting to know though. 

To what benefit?   How many riders end the season having made a profit seriously in excess of £50k?

2 minutes ago, RoundTheBoards said:

To what benefit?   How many riders end the season having made a profit seriously in excess of £50k?

Tax benefits for one, not sure how foreign earnings etc. are accounted for. I just naturally assumed they'd all be limited

7 minutes ago, iainb said:

Tax benefits for one, not sure how foreign earnings etc. are accounted for. I just naturally assumed they'd all be limited

Why would anyone choose to be a limited company and pay 25% corporation tax when they only pay 20% income tax as a sole trader?  

Like I said, you'd have to be making serious profits to gain anything, and how many riders finish a season with profits way over £50k?  (probably would need to be profits approaching £100k to get any worthwhile benefit)

17 hours ago, RoundTheBoards said:

Why would anyone choose to be a limited company and pay 25% corporation tax when they only pay 20% income tax as a sole trader?  

Like I said, you'd have to be making serious profits to gain anything, and how many riders finish a season with profits way over £50k?  (probably would need to be profits approaching £100k to get any worthwhile benefit)

Some of the published wages and signing on fees in Poland are lots of thousands of euros . Up to 500k last time I looked up some figures 

4 minutes ago, Neila said:

Some of the published wages and signing on fees in Poland are lots of thousands of euros . Up to 500k last time I looked up some figures 

And how many British riders do you think are on a £500k deal with a Polish club?

Not many but some are/will be on lots of euros, one rider got a 6 figure signing on fee a couple of years ago 

Freddie Hodder signed for Berwick according to Stewart Dicksons Twitter 

On 12/29/2023 at 10:13 PM, RoundTheBoards said:

Think you would be surprised.

• Like 3

So just 3 spots remaining to be filled at Berwick (although borke is highly rumoured to be heading there) Edinburgh and Workington.

Bastian Borke signs for Berwick

12 hours ago, torpointfanatic22 said:

Really shocked and saddened actually that Dan Gilkes hasn't got a place in the championship. 

When a certain team is hiring German riders solely due to their gender it's no real shock to me to see young British riders finding themselves squeezed out.