British Speedway Forum
bloom89

SGB Championship 2024 Confirmed Signings

17 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

How many clubs demand 2 or more bikes and a van. Any rider with a respectable fixture list (even just CL only) would need a minimum of 2 bikes and realistically 3+ along with additional engines to cover for damage that can happen at any point during the seaon with fixtures often packed together. Doesn't present a good image stating i have no bikes / engines ready.

Those engines that got bought, (was it a GRS?), would surely be ideal for the NDL?...

Let the lads hire them for a season, and maintain them...

Then pay them a salary based on not having to fork out a solid five figures for 3 bikes...

Would get a few "giving it a go" and seeing if they have the aptitude to ride a speedway bike to a decent level, I would think..

On 1/18/2024 at 1:01 PM, Neila said:

Clubs should stick to a budget,  and some riders should live in the real world,  not being totally greedy, then some of them will have a team place and being able to make a living from a hobby,  how many youngsters want to be full time speedway riders with 2 or more bikes and a van 

Completely agree but the minute bigger clubs like Poole or Glasgow that have the means to pay riders more along with various packages (signing on fees, engines etc) it opens the door for others to start to demand silly money that clubs with lower budgets simply cannot afford. Thus you get a division within a division and it makes it all the more remarkable when smaller clubs win trophies, it's the same in almost all sports in this country sadly.

Some kind of thinking around a salary cap or fixed structure of pay would protect clubs and level the playing field. It would put the power very much back in the clubs hands because I'm sorry to say that riders demands increasing constantly (among other things) is what is financially crippling for the sport.

21 minutes ago, torpointfanatic22 said:

Completely agree but the minute bigger clubs like Poole or Glasgow that have the means to pay riders more along with various packages (signing on fees, engines etc) it opens the door for others to start to demand silly money that clubs with lower budgets simply cannot afford. Thus you get a division within a division and it makes it all the more remarkable when smaller clubs win trophies, it's the same in almost all sports in this country sadly.

Some kind of thinking around a salary cap or fixed structure of pay would protect clubs and level the playing field. It would put the power very much back in the clubs hands because I'm sorry to say that riders demands increasing constantly (among other things) is what is financially crippling for the sport.

Well, no it's not really.  Speedway has a points limit, otherwise, what you are suggesting, the teams with money would be 1-7's of 7,8 and 9 point riders, while all the others would be 2, 3, 4's etc.

And, as I keep saying, just because a rider "demands" a certain amount, clubs don't have to pay it and at the end of the day either the rider reduces his demands or doesn't get a ride.

Edited by StevePark
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, mikebv said:

Those engines that got bought, (was it a GRS?), would surely be ideal for the NDL?...

Let the lads hire them for a season, and maintain them...

Then pay them a salary based on not having to fork out a solid five figures for 3 bikes...

Would get a few "giving it a go" and seeing if they have the aptitude to ride a speedway bike to a decent level, I would think..

You need to keep up with the times. The GTR engine fiasco died years ago and only 16 were ever brought into the UK so you’ll be lucky if there’s two or three still in a running condition.

24 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

You need to keep up with the times. The GTR engine fiasco died years ago and only 16 were ever brought into the UK so you’ll be lucky if there’s two or three still in a running condition.

I've got one you want to buy it

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

A shame..

Entry level Speedway, which the NDL is, should have lots of opportunities for riders to give the sport a go without the need for many thousands of outlay...

Especially given the sport over here require lots of UK lads to take up team spaces..

I always find it truly baffling that promoters expect riders to come with the best (meaning expensive), kit they can, meaning the promoters then need to pay the riders the money to not only afford that kit, but also have enough to live on, and tbey do this to try and win competitions that the very same promoters then completely devalue by their own incredible operating model..

It is a strange business plan isn't it? 

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, mikebv said:

A shame..

Entry level Speedway, which the NDL is, should have lots of opportunities for riders to give the sport a go without the need for many thousands of outlay...

Especially given the sport over here require lots of UK lads to take up team spaces..

I always find it truly baffling that promoters expect riders to come with the best (meaning expensive), kit they can, meaning the promoters then need to pay the riders the money to not only afford that kit, but also have enough to live on, and tbey do this to try and win competitions that the very same promoters then completely devalue by their own incredible operating model..

Isn't that what sponsorship is for too?

9 hours ago, StevePark said:

Isn't that what sponsorship is for too?

Not really sponsorship is it…. Its a charitable donation really! There not getting decent ROI on anything 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, mikebv said:

A shame..

The GTRs had thier merits but build issue and terrible organisation by the management commitee created a massive white elephant. 

Then there is the issue that riders will have decent bikes/engines prior to getting team places and probably wouldn't want to switch alternatives.  

The theory of clubs suppying and maintaining the engines to a standard they seem fit does appear good on the surface but would be a nightmare getting them back from released / injured riders.

• Like 2

James Pearson average is 4.18

Can someone tel me what points are available for Plymouth & Workington to complete their 2024 squads.

With the obvious rider shortage for the 2024 Championship who was the mathematical genius that set the points limit.

55 minutes ago, lewy said:

Plymouth have 8-24 to replace covatti. 

Hopefully 8-24 is not the date a replacement is achieved as well......

• Haha 2

On 2/17/2024 at 2:34 PM, Ghosty said:

Can someone tel me what points are available for Plymouth & Workington to complete their 2024 squads.

With the obvious rider shortage for the 2024 Championship who was the mathematical genius that set the points limit.

If the points limit had been higher, there’d be an even bigger shortage !

• Like 2