British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Last Exit to Cradley (apologies to Hubert Selby Jr).

Cradley was always my favourite away track-hands down.. My first visit was on 24th October 1964 for the second leg of the PL K.O Cup Final. I enjoyed  the hospitality so much, I then tried to get there once every season.. After I emigrated, if I was back in UK I would try and see a meeting there. My last meeting was 20th May  1989 v. Coventry. I still have both programs. Looking at them there is only one name in both programs 25 years apart. Whose name is it? I am pretty sure some  forumlanders , particularly CH fans will immediately know it. For the first correct answer - I will buy the winner a beer, as long as you can come to Toronto to collect it!!!

Well, my first thought was Harry Bastable...

Hi Chunks, good guess but sadly incorrect!!!

Colin Pratt would have been Team Manager and in 89 and likely riding in 64?

7 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

only one name in both programs 25 years apart

Tom Johnson, who wrote a column in the meeting programmes. He was a journalist with the Express & Star newspaper, based in Wolverhampton. He acted as an umpire in the Provincial League in 1964 when ACU referees were not available due to the league being outlawed. In 1989 I sat next to Tom at the end of season Cradley Heath dinner, when we were both guests. Free meals are the best.

• Like 2

I knew you would get it BL65, a tip of the cap to you-if you can get yourself to Toronto , a beer awaits you!!!

3 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

I knew you would get it BL65, a tip of the cap to you-if you can get yourself to Toronto , a beer awaits you!!!

Where was mine when I went to Toronto earlier this year?

Firstly , I thought you were at Wasaga Beach not Toronto, secondly you said you didn't drink beer. If you make it back I will definitely buy you one!!+ Also your books ,are some of the best I've ever read-particularly the  "Prefabs " one.  Are you working on any new ones I could buy!!