British Speedway Forum
szkocjasid

Edinburgh Monarchs Academy 2024

14 hours ago, Diamonds85 said:

Looks realistic enough for an Armadale side...

Depressing enough. No personal disrespect to any of the riders but its a side that sums up the state of UK speedway today

On 1/5/2024 at 8:14 AM, szkocjasid said:

Doesn't fit with Dayle Wood in the side.

I couldn't think of obvious "second strings" so thought Perry and another "reserve" could be the way to go.

Have not read anywhere if Dayle Wood is returning this year.  Assuming he is not, the latter would look feasible i.e. Perry & Watson leaving 4.45 points to make up the total.

On 1/8/2024 at 8:07 PM, PotteringAround said:

Are we looking at

Connor Coles    7.79
Tom Woolley    6.64
Sam McGurk    6.08
Dayle Wood    4.50
Mason Watson    3.93
Mark Parker    3.00
Kyren Lyden    3.00

Looking like a side that will finish bottom. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Islander15 said:

But does it matter in a development league who's top and who's bottom if the riders in it develop. I for one could give a monkeys

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

But does it matter in a development league who's top and who's bottom if the riders in it develop. I for one could give a monkeys

Maybe not to you but the riders that are getting beat week in week out I'd probably say it does. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Good because Sheffthorpe won't win it either :D

21 minutes ago, mc131 said:

Maybe not to you but the riders that are getting beat week in week out I'd probably say it does. 

A lot can be learnt by getting beat, but getting hammered home and away is going to do little for some riders reputations and poor management selections can actually prematurely finish careers.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, mc131 said:

But surely they know their standard?

Their expectations must be pretty low to begin with...

It will be more hope than expectation for many NDL lads given many are either starting out or have been around for years at the same "bottum rung" level...

Based on how many develop to a higher level, it will be a minority who will be seeing the NDL as an aspirational opportunity to progress, 

Either way, whatever your expectations and ambition,  the NDL gives riders a chance to ride a bike for a living sometime in the future if they are good enough to do so in the next few years..

Many followers dont take the top two divisions too seriously given the UK operating model, so the winners of the NDL won't resonate with too many...

"Winning"would be getting more riders into Div 2 as a start..

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Good because Sheffthorpe won't win it either :D

A lot can be learnt by getting beat, but getting hammered home and away is going to do little for some riders reputations and poor management selections can actually prematurely finish careers.

never said they would. but like i said if my rider is a better rider at the end than the beginning its a win all day long

• Like 1

1 minute ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

never said they would. but like i said if my rider is a better rider at the end than the beginning its a win all day long

My bigger concern would be that there is very little in the Edinburgh side to challenge Luke

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

My bigger concern would be that there is very little in the Edinburgh side to challenge Luke

Don't agree the team above if that's the team they go with have a top 3 who are all as good if not better than him. Also feel it's about individual match ups so riders like senna summers , Ashton vale, Sonny springer , Mark Parker and stene Pijper progress against each other amd measure there success against themselves rather how they do against the big hitter in The teams

11 hours ago, Islander15 said:

4 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

But the team at the top of the league most likely have more riders that have developed. So finishing top is important as it means you've developed riders.

13 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

But the team at the top of the league most likely have more riders that have developed. So finishing top is important as it means you've developed riders.

Of course finishing top is important.   The sport is about winning.  Finishing ahead of your opponent.

If you believe winning the National League is unimportant, you'll follow that through all the way to believing that whoever wins the GP Series isn't important.

Having said that, a heat leader trio of Coles, Woolley and McGurk wouldn't be too shabby around Armadale. 

12 hours ago, PotteringAround said:

Of course finishing top is important.   The sport is about winning.  Finishing ahead of your opponent.

If you believe winning the National League is unimportant, you'll follow that through all the way to believing that whoever wins the GP Series isn't important.

Having said that, a heat leader trio of Coles, Woolley and McGurk wouldn't be too shabby around Armadale. 

If Coles and Woolley can pass on some useful advice to McGurk then the signings make sense. However if they just pass on how to keep your average attractive for next season(Tom) or how to ride on the tightest budget (Connor) whilst practical it might not offer the greatest amount of progress.

20 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

As well as from the riders view point that others have discussed before me, there’s also the fans point. We’ve seen time and time again that sides that lose aren’t supported. We might want to watch development generally but if you are an avid supporter of a team then you want some success and a clear route to your Championship side. Teams have to be competitive, and win at home, to bring the punters in and bring the money in. I just look at the rumoured Edinburgh side and if I was a Monarchs fan, there’s only Sam McGurk that excites me to part with my money again. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 1/9/2024 at 1:54 PM, SlicktrackSandy said:

Have not read anywhere if Dayle Wood is returning this year.  Assuming he is not, the latter would look feasible i.e. Perry & Watson leaving 4.45 points to make up the total.

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'DAYLE WOOD x EDINBURGH MONARCHS ACADEMY 2024 TEAM ANNOUNCEMENT ACAD CADE CA CADE DEME AC DAYLE Lellar nada M WOOD EDINB URGH MONARCHS ACADEMY 2024 MONARCHS ACADENT Stellar Omada'