British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Beirao

Retired Too Soon in the 50s

If you are talking purely about riders who retired in the 1950s, I'd say that Arthur Forrest must be the prime example.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, norbold said:

If you are talking purely about riders who retired in the 1950s, I'd say that Arthur Forrest must be the prime example.

Closely followed by Brian Crutcher...

It had a number of top riders that had very short careers.

If you include Crutcher who went jut into the 60s. Then Tommy Miller and Knutsson for example also had a career of around or under a decade

This seems on a level found back in the early days when a lot of riders got in, made i guess a lot of money and got out quite early. Guess partly due to the sheer danger, seeing colleagues injured or worse, and having enough money to set them up in a more family friendly career

8 hours ago, chunky said:

In 1960.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chunky said:

Who retired in 1960, so not in the 1950s.

2 hours ago, Sotonian said:

In 1960.

1 hour ago, norbold said:

Who retired in 1960, so not in the 1950s.

We're going to quibble over one year - or more precisely, a couple of months? It seems strange that you would argue that point when neither Soderman nor Kaiser "retired" in the 1950's either...

Edited by chunky

1 hour ago, chunky said:

We're going to quibble over one year - or more precisely, a couple of months? It seems strange that you would argue that point when neither Soderman nor Kaiser "retired" in the 1950's either...

Where did I say that Soderman and Kaiser retired too soon? I'm sorry, I must have missed my own post.

15 minutes ago, norbold said:

Where did I say that Soderman and Kaiser retired too soon? I'm sorry, I must have missed my own post.

I assume he means on the actual link, which i hadn't looked at

But the link does stragely mention riders like Crutcher, Knutsson, Soderman, Kaiser and others who rode into,some well into the 60s

But not Tommy Miller

A most interesting list- I immediatly thought of Arthur Forrest-wasn't he quite wealthy thru' a family business? I was lucky enough to see Bjorn Knutson win his only World Final in 1965, I couldn't believe he retired so soon-a great rider. I think though riding put him under tremendous mental pressur, Brian Crutcher too. Didn't Tommy Miller have health issues?

Missed a few then! I was basing this on  age and looking at those who stopped before they were 27/28. Miller was well into his 30s when he retired - born 1924. Forrest was a miss by me though! Agree some didn't retire until the 60s - Knutson being a glaring example. The file I used was riders who started riding iin the 50s. A better title might have been "Retired too earky from the 50s" Not my finest moment though hope it was interesting none the less. Off to look out the dunces cap! 

Edited by Beirao

1 hour ago, BOBBATH said:

A most interesting list- I immediatly thought of Arthur Forrest-wasn't he quite wealthy thru' a family business? I was lucky enough to see Bjorn Knutson win his only World Final in 1965, I couldn't believe he retired so soon-a great rider. I think though riding put him under tremendous mental pressur, Brian Crutcher too. Didn't Tommy Miller have health issues?

I was lucky enough to see Bjorn every week at Custom House. Just pure class, week in, week out. If he hadn't retired so early, I am sure he would be right up there with the usual suspects in the unanswerable question "Greatest rider ever?"

4 hours ago, norbold said:

Tsk, tsk... Time of the month, eh? Not like you to not read things, Norman...

Dominic Perry, from Dublin, decided to retire after Shelbourne closed in 1954. He was only 24 and had made excellent progress in just over two seasons in the National League with Wimbledon. Perry was third top scorer for England in the test series in South Africa in 1953-54. Admittedly it was not a permanent retirement, as Trevor Redmond persuaded him to take part in four challenge matches staged at Shelbourne Park and two meetings at St Austell in 1961, but his serious speedway career ended in 1954. He resisted further offers to ride in the UK and returned to work on his farm.

Talking Wimbledon. You could also add Dennis Gray, who retired both young and in the 50s. Bit of a sensation but injury curtailed his career. So maybe doesn't quite fit