British Speedway Forum
SJA

Winter Meetings

Bob Roger 14, Peter Moore 13, Eric French 11, Cyril Roger 10 were the leading scorers. Peter Moore was the only non-British rider in the field.

Birmingham 44 Nottingham 32 was the result of the other Christmas meeting I mentioned.

35 minutes ago, brianbuck said:

what sort of attendance there was I wouldn't know as this was all a bit before my time!

According to the Evening Despatch newspaper a happy holiday crowd numbered close on 10,000, but the frost-affected track was not at its best.

Was at the Joe Owen Benefit meeting, Ellesmere Port Past & Present v Inter League Select which ended up a 39 - 39 draw, Boxing Day 1985.  This was to be the last meeting at Ellesmere.

Edited by edmon

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2024 at 11:12 AM, Bagpuss said:

I can vaguely remember going to a winter meeting at Scunthorpe in the winter of 2009/10, somewhere around New Year, it was very wet and cold unsurprisingly. I think Kevin Doolan might have won it although I can't find any details anywhere.

They must have had a couple then as I remember Jan Graversen winning one.

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2024 at 11:12 AM, Bagpuss said:

I can vaguely remember going to a winter meeting at Scunthorpe in the winter of 2009/10, somewhere around New Year, it was very wet and cold unsurprisingly. I think Kevin Doolan might have won it although I can't find any details anywhere.

Scunthorpe Xmas Cracker - 27/12/09 | Speedway Updates (proboards.com)

2 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

They must have had a couple then as I remember Jan Graversen winning one.

Jan Gravesen won the Kenny Smith Memorial meeting I remember that was like a mud bath and very winter ISH conditions. Scott Nicholls had a hissy fit and left after 2 of his rides.

https://speedwayupdates.proboards.com/thread/7360/kenny-smith-memorial-scunthorpe-2010

Edited by Fozzie4388
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

That's the one! Cheers :t:

Hackney held the 5oth anniversary of speedway in uk in Feb 1978. It was freezing and I walked out before the end!!

There was this 4TT on 26th December 1961 at Sun Street, Stoke

Hanley 29 Stoke 25 Cradley Heath 25 Wolverhampton 16

Edited by Sotonian

A practice session was held at the White City Stadium, Sloper Road, Cardiff on 22nd December 1928, during which Arthur Franklyn and Clem Beckett were timed over one lap.  This was followed by an organised meeting on 26th December 1928, at which Franklyn beat Spencer 'Smoky' Stratton in the final of the South Wales Scratch event. Stratton gained revenge to win the final of the Golden Helmet, Franklyn coming second.  Clifford 'Champ' Upham won the Cardiff City Trophy, with Jack 'Lightning' Luke second in the final.

Looks like Isle of Wight ran a successful mixed discipline meeting last Saturday with the senior speedway part won by Chad Wirtzfeld. Taken from Facebook.

2 hours ago, Dickie Head said:

Looks like Isle of Wight ran a successful mixed discipline meeting last Saturday with the senior speedway part won by Chad Wirtzfeld. Taken from Facebook.

The Warriors website has a report which mentions the winners of all the classes and also says Wirtzfeld has recently signed for the famous Belle Vue Manchester team.

On 12/20/2023 at 1:17 PM, Andy Downes said:

There was a meeting at the London Arena in winter 1990 (or 91, can't remember the exact date) - another former London Speedway venue that's bitten the dust.

Seem to remember there was a problem halfway through - could have been a leaking roof but the memory is too hazy - hopefully someone out there can remind us more about that day 

I was there for the afternoon meeting, later saw the evening meeting on Anglia TV. London Docklands Arena was the name. I do remember the leak in the roof.

• Like 1