British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
auntie doris

Dream League

If you could have a league of the top 20 teams ever who would you choose? Based on trophies won, years in top-flight, longevity? I will go, in no order, Belle Vue, Poole, Coventry, Oxford, Swindon, Wembley, Wimbledon, West Ham, New Cross, Hackney, Wolves, Cradley, Reading, Ipswich, Kings Lynn, Peterborough, Sheffield, Newcastle, Halifax, Eastbourne. Probably missed a couple.

Personally, I think my dream league would be Wimbledon, Wembley, West Ham, Hackney, White City, Walthamstow, Harringay, Barnet, Romford, Rayleigh, Rye House, Crayford, Reading, Lea Bridge, Stamford Bridge, Arena Essex, Crystal Palace, Dagenham, Greenford, and New Cross.

EDITED: 'Cos I'm a pillock, and left off New Cross...

Edited by chunky

11 minutes ago, chunky said:

Personally, I think my dream league would be Wimbledon, Wembley, West Ham, Hackney, White City, Walthamstow, Harringay, Barnet, Romford, Rayleigh, Rye House, Crayford, Reading, Lea Bridge, Stamford Bridge, Arena Essex, Crystal Palace, Dagenham, Catford, and Greenford.

No High Beech or New Cross?

Edited by norbold

My dream League set up in the UK would be 3 Divisions, British League, National League and Conference League of 20 teams each!

Edited by 25yearfan

1 hour ago, chunky said:

Personally, I think my dream league would be Wimbledon, Wembley, West Ham, Hackney, White City, Walthamstow, Harringay, Barnet, Romford, Rayleigh, Rye House, Crayford, Reading, Lea Bridge, Stamford Bridge, Arena Essex, Crystal Palace, Dagenham, Catford, and Greenford.

I think you need to give your head a wobble son, Barnet, Dagenham, Catford and Greenford are third tier clubs, have had little success compared to Swindon, Oxford, Poole, Belle Vue, Coventry...:angry:Luton, Basingstoke, Slough were far more successful.

Edited by auntie doris

1 hour ago, norbold said:

No High Beech or New Cross?

Dammit! I thought I had New Cross listed! Sorry!

27 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

I think you need to give your head a wobble son, Barnet, Dagenham, Catford and Greenford are third tier clubs, have had little success compared to Swindon, Oxford, Poole, Belle Vue, Coventry...:angry:Luton, Basingstoke, Slough were far more successful.

Sorry, I forgot about Slough...:t:

Coventry
and can I have Coventry.
Coventry, of course,
and we can't leave out Coventry.

Sorry people. I know I/we are not alone in wanting our local club back. But if I can have one New Year wish, please let us have the Bees back. I'll think about the other 19 clubs I want to beat.

16 hours ago, False dawn said:

Coventry
and can I have Coventry.
Coventry, of course,

Sorry people. I know I/we are not alone in wanting our local club back. But if I can have one New Year wish, please let us have the Bees back. I'll think about the other 19 clubs I want to beat.

I know how you feel. Oh, how I wish that speedway would return to New Cross but of course it's a forlorn hope. I was hoping that somebody would come up with the idea of building a speedway track around the football pitch when Millwall relocated (like Wembley in the old days) but I suspect that it would have been impractical. 

1 hour ago, Split said:

I know how you feel. Oh, how I wish that speedway would return to New Cross but of course it's a forlorn hope. I was hoping that somebody would come up with the idea of building a speedway track around the football pitch when Millwall relocated (like Wembley in the old days) but I suspect that it would have been impractical. 

60 years ago, was my one and only season watching the Rangers and the great Squibbo. Geoff Penniket was my favourite rider. Still have all the programmes from 1963. We watched Wimbledon after that with occasional journies over the river to Wet Spam and Ackney, as Bjorn Knutson was my favourite then. Moved to Swindon 1967,went for 5 years then had 30 year break before going to Workington then back to Swindon. Was at the last meeting 2019.The occasional trip to Oxford and Cardiff now.

18 hours ago, False dawn said:

Coventry
and can I have Coventry.
Coventry, of course,

Coventry was a superb track, good bunch of fans. Some excellent meetings against Swindon.